Retired_Admin

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Veydreth

So baseless speculation time. Do you think Veydreth will get a new box containing corvettes and _CARRIER__?

If so what do you suspect or hope _THAT BB WILL BE ALLOW TO HAVE SOME ATTACTMENTS_(MAYBE CORVETTES)_ is?

Personally I'd like to see a dreadnought (new model) and corvette box set

I would also be fine with a double corvette box containing just 10 corvettes.

I'm fine with Veydreth not having accompaniments or a carrier it's just another thing that sets them apart.

Otherwise I think I'm going to declare my Veydreth captured and retrofitted some Corsair ships to serve as Corvettes.

I have played a few games with veydreth. Definitely an interesting army. I have yet to find a good use for ambush. If I have spare points ill put ambush on destroyers but its not a must have.

For gunships I almost always reserve them - so no ambush :) Also the turn limit increase is very good in my opinion which discourages ambush even further.

Escalating engagement is just not played much (read: never) where I am so I havent had to think about it yet. Now that I do it certainly seems like a good use for ambush, especially for fragile ships like us.
Setting up beyond your deployment zone is good but for veydreth not necessarily great. Gunships rely on movement as do assault cruisers so no matter where you start, being at full stop is a big problem and sets your ships up to be shot while limiting their firepower. Works fine on destroyers as mentioned but since they already have range and stealth they dont need the extra deployment nor the defense. Its jam for them if you can afford it but certainly not a must.

So... assuming I don't want to magnetize, how do you recommend I build the two cruiser boxes I just ordered? Two heavy squadrons? Two assault squadrons? One of each? For context, I plan on fielding my Veydreth independently, alongside my Sorylians, and in support fleets with Tarakians, Terquai, and Xelocians (I'm not sure how many of those support fleets I'm actually ever going to play... but those are the Kurak factions I own, so I figure I may as well keep them in mind).

I don't much see the utility of the heavy cruiser squadron. They're durable, sure, but when it comes to shooting they're outclassed by the gunships, and when it comes to assault they're outclassed by the assault cruisers. I like to have one of everything in my collection... but in this case, I'm not sure I see the point.

Thoughts?

I have 3 heavy Veydreth cruisers and 6 Assault Cruisers but I think your correct in identifying the heavy cruiser is the odd man out. Normally I like to occasionally build mixed cruiser Squads but the Veydreth Heavy just doesn't seem to play well in a squad of assault cruisers.

I suggest you go all Assault otherwise do 2 as Heavy Cruisers which gives you some options and worse case scenario you ask your opponent if it's okay to use your heavies as proxies for the Squad lead vessel.

I suggest you go all Assault otherwise do 2 as Heavy Cruisers which gives you some options and worse case scenario you ask your opponent if it's okay to use your heavies as proxies for the Squad lead vessel.

I'll probably go the other way around - do two full assault cruiser squadrons, and if I find myself hurting for options, wait until they're available in the Spartan store and order two extra models (I've got a bunch of single models and squadrons normally only available in patrol fleet boxes that I'm going to buy once I build up enough of them that it's worth the shipping).

By the way... what's the point of giving an assault cruiser squadron a heavy leader? All you get is slightly better fore primaries and torps in return for losing access to Ambush and gimping the squadron in assault.

I think they're pretty good. Chewy synergy with the fleet and high Ambush are both good. I think they're really good alongside Kestroi in a Sorylian fleet. The only problem with them is their arcs - kind of idiosyncratic. I find swoopy broadside destroyers hard to use.

Veydreth destroyers stats wise are nothing to shout home about. However synergy in the veydreth list makes them almost a must have. They are reasonably tough on turns one and two and dont chew up your fleets reserve points. Gold. As EP said they arent bad in a sorylian fleet.

I think they're pretty good. Chewy synergy with the fleet and high Ambush are both good. I think they're really good alongside Kestroi in a Sorylian fleet. The only problem with them is their arcs - kind of idiosyncratic. I find swoopy broadside destroyers hard to use.

Not broadsides. Fore. Without Manueverable. Even weirder.

How are you using your destroyers eith ambush to be able to activate them in turn 1? Shouldn't you be only able to reveal them duribg the reserve phase? Just before turn 2?

Statwise ill change the kestroi for the hunter 100%

Weird arcs? I see them as close range killers, with the ability to shoot at 30'

How are you using your destroyers eith ambush to be able to activate them in turn 1? Shouldn't you be only able to reveal them duribg the reserve phase? Just before turn 2?

Statwise ill change the kestroi for the hunter 100%

Weird arcs? I see them as close range killers, with the ability to shoot at 30'

Reserve phase happens every turn you just start rolling for reserve deployment on turn 2. That's why the new Sorylian Commander us awesome. You can shunt a squad from reserve on turn 1.

The Hunters bring what most destroyers bring, 3 models for 210 points with range band 3 7 AD attacks, and one other indirect attack that is nothing to brag about, but still useful. Sure, they use fore weapons without maneuverable, however, they're still potent within range band 2, as now they use their broadsides (same AD in RB 2 as their RB 3 Fore beams), and their torpedoes are better as well at RB 1 and 2. They give what I wish most destroyers did, a multi-role platform. Early turns, they slowly inch forward using their fore beams and torpedoes. Once forces start to clash, they can switch to closer range broadsides and better torpedo dice. Their upgrades are good, it's nice to not have to include the Ambush MAR price in the base squadron cost, only paying for it in games you'll actually use it.