Retired_Admin

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Veydreth

Sweet. 

New veydreth models, on Sg Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/spartangames

What do you think? I guess the cruisers are a mix of aquan Medusa and Ba'Kash. Somehow i like the old destroyer more but i would have to see them close up.

Personally I don't like the battleship because it's looks like it has a hitchhiking ship beneath it but the corvettes look really cool. I don't think we will have too many battleships being played as it is though but still it is more detailed than most models around. Thankfully, the Destroyers and gunships look very good aswell. I feel that while the old models were good, the new ones are pretty neat too. I agree that the cruisers are a mix but I don't think it's a good one. Otherwise. I'm curious to see the assault ships. Summararilly, I think they have come out well, and their creature-like design with eyes on some ships, nicely sets them apart from other races.

On a side note, with this impending release could someone make a tactica for this race. Or else I shall have to make an adequate place holder. 

I like the new models, but they don't feel Veydreth enough for me.  I am not sure how to explain what I mean.   These look more Terran influenced to me.    I really liked the hawk like look of the previous models.  I am assuming these are easier to do in resin then the previous ones.

Never the less, I will be buying these.  Damn you Spartan Games!!! (he shouts, angrily shaking his fist at the sky)

Digging everything bar the cruiser/heavy kits.

Speaking of which, we don't have rules for a standard cruiser, unless its a Heavy cruiser/Assault cruiser combo, as per the rules.  That way it'd cover all the ships we have rules for quite nicely.

Digging everything bar the cruiser/heavy kits.

Speaking of which, we don't have rules for a standard cruiser, unless its a Heavy cruiser/Assault cruiser combo, as per the rules.  That way it'd cover all the ships we have rules for quite nicely.

You noticed that too.  I was wondering if they're going to change it to a straight up cruiser or if it was just a typo.  Could be just a typo.

Veydreth: A Tactical Overview

The Veydreth are a tricky fleet to use. And a tricky fleet to fight as well. They have a good spread of ships, from a battleship, heavy cruisers, gunships, assault cruisers, destroyers, and corvettes, there are options in building this fleet. Veydreth are the masters of the Ambush, able to throw down a disgusting amount of ambush tokens to keep your opposition guessing. These ships are one of hte few that bear the Vulnerable MAR, making them a little more susceptible to crits, but also proud bearers of the Double Mines MAR, letting them lay a truly disgusting amount of area denial explosives. Their ships are also quick, sometimes able to be quicker still. The possibility of taking almost an entire fleet in ambush is tempting. But it's also not a great plan.

The reasons for this are manyfold. You will be badly outnumbered early in the game. And only one Ambush token can be revealed a turn of your own volition. If an ambush is busted by an enemy squadron, that unit cannot activate this turn. Keeping a unit of two in ambush is a nice idea, and it can keep your opponent guessing, but more than that, you risk being handicapped very, very quickly.

Now, with all that in mind, lets have a look at the ships themselves, and see how they stack up.

Predator Battleship – The heavyweight of the Veydreth fleet, this ship is a brute. 6/11 leaves it a little soft on the defensive side, but that's not uncommon. The Veydreth are far more about delivering hard, fast strikes against their opponents than trying to win attrition matches. 10 HP leaves the ship in the fight for a long time, and 7 PD helps keep it safe from torpedoes and SRS, while a mighty 8 CP makes it hard to make any headway with boarding assaults against this ship. 5 MN isn't exciting, but then, it does get to drop two of them, or link up to 7. So not too shabby overall! 5 AP in such an aggressive fleet is a bit odd, but we'll cover that shortly.

Weaponry wise, it clocks in with a comfortable Fore beam that can still throw enough dice to threaten cruisers at 40” away. It never gets too terrifying, even at optimum range, but then the broadsides kick in. 14 dice leave it at the lighter end of the battleship range, but still enough to kick out some firepower. It also only looses 2 dice going to RB 1 where re-rolls can kick in to help even the odds. The extra goodness of this ship comes int he form of torpedoes in 3 arcs. 8 dice is nothing to sneer at, especially not out to RB 2. As this ship gets whittled down, and it will, these dice become more and more of the focus of the ships performance. Never underestimate them.

Coming stock with the typical Double Maines and Vulnerable, this ship isn't wowing too many people with the starting MARs. Hardpoints come out swinging with some nice options. +2 AP is a welcome option in a fleet known for aggressive speed and boarding. The fact that is can be taken twice is simply gravy. 9 AP is a reasonable threat to most ships. The option for +1 MV is nice, and can be taken twice, pushing this ship up to speed levels that would not shame a ship half it's weight. Of course, in a faction as heavily invested in Mines as these, there is an option of bumping up the MN rating to 7. And now there is a powerful deployment option, leaving two mines that can threaten cruisers, or core out smalls, or leave a single 10 MN behind to chew up most anything. Fianlly, there is an option to remove the Vulnerable MAR. While nice, the MAR is hardly crippling. If you've points to spend, by all means, but they might be better spent elsewhere.

In upgrades, it's kept short and sweet. If you've invested in getting more AP ontot he ship, you might as well invest in getting mroe milage out of them with Second Assault. 9 AP might not prize a ship, but it's not unheard of to snag a crit with them. Why not go for another chance? Giving all of the beams High Energy is also a bonus if you plan to try and pick off CP before charging in with this brute. Good upgrade options both really.

Prowler/Onslaught Gunship – Less ofa proper warship, and more of a gun platform with engines welded on, the prowler provides some good meat for the Verdreth, allowing them to bring heavy firepower to bear. Defensively comfortable at 5/7, they can take a knock here and there. Nicely average across the board from there, with a slightly higher than average AP value, highly unsurprising. MN 4 would normally not be too worrisome for the enemy, but then Double Mines kicks in, and the terror sets in. Closing firepower is provided via torpedoes that while not devastating, get the job done admirably. Backing this up is a primary weapon emplacement, providing solid, reliable fire. Once things get a little closer, it's time to present broadsides, and let the beams out to play. Able to link up for a staggering 18 dice, these beasts take no prisoners! The Double Mines let a squad of these monsters drop a 14 MN token. That's dangerous for any ship, and downright fatal to anything medium sized. The speed of 9” lets these ships move about relatively quickly to get where they need to be.

Double Mines and Vulnerable are both still here for these ships. Only one hardpoint is available, and it's a good toss up. Reducing the Turn limit on these ships makes this squadron able to turn on a dime, and go hunting for targets wherever they may hide. Also fast enough to perform the 8” circle, something normally only reserved for Aquans and Frigates. Otherwise, these ships can be set under and Ambush token, giving them a chance to start far up field, and spring a nasty surprise on an advancing foe. As far as upgrades go, High Energy is available for the Beam weapons.

While providing excellent ship killing firepower, three of these ships offer enough AP to threaten most any ship. Especially one weakened with some CP damage via Hazard markers. Always remember. Most everything in this fleet can board effectively.

Carnivore Heavy Cruiser – This ship is a tank. 5/8 gives it defences on par with a Dindrenzi heavy cruiser, while still maintaining a decent speed, nice HP total of 6, and brilliant PD coverage. The option for Bigger Batteries makes these ships a solid choice to chase away SRS tokens, and keep ships safe from boarding assaults. As far as firepower goes, these ships are average in dice count. Beams that do reasonable damage are on the sides, while primaries face Fore to bring in some longer ranges fire, and good closing dice. Torpedoes are in place to back up the Primaries. These ships as a unit can still throw 12 AP into a target, so never forget this as a weapon option. Surprisingly, this marks one of the only ships in the fleet lacking mines. This ship exists to give enemies something to shoot at that can actually soak up some hits. Especially helpful when starting ships in Ambush.

Stalker Assault Cruiser – The Stalker remains one of the most sought after ships the Veydreth field, coming in cheap, fast, and nasty. At 4/7, these ships are not terribly well protected, but nothing to cringe at either. Broadside beams give this ship the majority of it's meat, throwing up to 14 dice as a unit. The Fore mount is only slightly behind it at 12 dice for a full unit at RB 2. Torpedoes that do pretty well to take care of things when damage is piling up, or just when you need another punch. But the true strength of this ship is in it's 6 AP. 18 AP dice is enough to tear most larges a harsh blow, and prize anything less.

No Mars start on this ship, missing out on the Double Mines, but also Vulnerable. Hardpoints offer the choice of Launch Tubes, pushing out the range of boarding to a healthy 12”, or the option to Ambush. Either choice is a decent one. It all depends on how you want your ships to arrive or perform. In upgrades comes the all important Second Assault, givig an important chance to prize a second ship, or rip up another large. The Stalker can get expensive after a few upgrades, or be bought very effective and economical.

Hunter/Savage Destroyer – And the next most often looked at ship in the Veydreth arsenal, the Hunter is a very effective destroyer. Reasonably costed at 70 base, these ships have okay defences at 4/7, but are a little light on the PD for a destroyer at only 3. Not bad, but not great either. The only ship with only average AP, it's still higher than average for a ship of this class. The broadsides have primaries, actually throwing out a solid 14 dice in a group. And then the fore mount kicks in, bringing a potent 14 dice to bear at out to 30” ffrom the beams. There is also a 6” sweet spot where the torpedoes are in optimum range, as so is the beam cannon. Torpedoes on this ship are pretty typical for the Veydreth, getting powerful as they close.

Additionally defended by Stealth Systems, these ships are hard to shift from a distant location as they burn holes in enemy vessels with beam blasts. No Hardpoints exist, but there are upgrades to be had! Giving the Beams High Energy is a nice option, and a cheap one ot boot. This can let you weaken the CP on ships pretty effectively. Also to be had is Ambush (2). One of the better ships to ambush with, these can be placed in unpleasant locations, giving them good flanking shots on enemy fleets. It does start to make the ships a little pricey, but it's often worth it.

Reaver – And finally, we come to the lightest of the ships in the fleet, but still one that is always welcome. The Reaver. Mainly protected by Elusive Target, it is typical in it's defences, being only 3/4. Reasonably quick at 12”, these ships can power across space rapidly. Good squad size of 5 makes these ships a force to be reckoned with. Nicely backed with 2 AP, these ships can be an excellent source of a hard and fast boarding action. Weaponry is in good standing with these ships, able to throw 12 dice at 2 targets, with gunracks that are perfectly at home in either RB 1 or 2, along with a Fixed Fore weapon. At 25 points, these ships are a good investment. But take them to 30 points each, and each ship mounts 3 MN. Now, while this gets pricey, it's very often worth it. Being able to zip up 12” and drop a 9 MN token on the enemy as you run is very often enough to chew up most anything. And with their speed, you can hop over them, and often turn to attack a vulnerable arc with your guns.

As a fleet, the Veydreth aren't going to last in a protracted firefight. They will often lose a fair fight. With this in mind, don't fight fair. Ambush a squad or two. Mine everything that isn't you. Board aggressively. And when the shooting keeps raging on, keep in mind most of your ships are possessed of open arcs, so in most cases, if you're not engaging in two arcs whenever you fire...you're doing it wrong. :P   

I'm really curious as to how the Veydreth play out on the table. The vulnerable MAR seems like a huge liability when trying to close the distance for mine placement or boarding even with Ambush. Since you can only reveal 1 ambush unit a turn it you obviously cannot ambush your whole force.

Anyone have some play experience they can share?

Less of a liability than you'd think.  

Vulnerable is a downside, but not a terribly crippling one from the games I've played/seen in my area.  

Ambushing the whole fleet is indeed a terrible idea to do with your entire force.  A few select groups make a better move.  Destroyers and Assault cruisers being the big ones, though the assault cruisers are also good to be shunted in.  It can get some ships farther up field than ewxpected, and depending on when you reveal, it can also be in the enemy grill very quickly.  

Hi all,

I am considering a potential colour scheme for my new veydreth ships and I am considering a dark/black colour scheme to tie in with the ambush special rules. Does anyone have any ideas/hints/existing minis for further inspiration?

Gary

I like the black/grey but would look at replacing the red with blue possibly. Hope you don't mind but I have saved that pic for future reference. Will post pics once they are done.

Gary

I've stocked up on the old mould destroyers (6) and gunships (3) but have invested in the new assault cruisers for my starting fleet. I am going to use 3 destroyers in a destroyer squad and the other 3 will be corvettes to fulfil my required tier 3 squadron until I invest in the fleet box. The fleet comes in nicely at 795 points and not everything has ambush.

The red and black colour scheme posted by darkedi were made by the SG painters to match the colour scheme of the Corsairs presented in Marauders of the RIft (making a Corsair / Veydreth fleet)

Nice Tau destroyers with eldar decals by the way :lol: