Retired_Admin

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Veydreth

Yeah, those corvettes actually seem rather nice. They are pricy for corvettes at 30 a pop, but for 150 points, you've got a mine 9, AD 12 fixed for weapon at RB2, the same in the port or starboard due to gunracks, and AP10 for boarding all on a move 12 elusive target.

Compare it to the tyranny from Works raptor. They Tyranny is faster, has slightly higher CR, and has more boarding potential per hull, but when looking at a squadron they only end up with 2 more AP, and you have way more firewpower plus the mines. Mine 9 is a HUGE deal on a model with move 12 and 0 turn limit, as you can easily drop it where you want it.

Not overly impressed in terms of adding them to Sorylians - they dont have any particular synergy.

In terms of raw stats, both the BS and Cruiser are better than the Sorylian equivalent by raw stats imho. The cruiser is debatable and clearly loses due to smaller swuad size than Falcata. But the BS, is basically just a way better version of the Sorylian BS for a very minor point increase. Which is pretty lame, as it means its now optimal to never run Sorylian BBs as lomg as you have fulfilled your Tier 1 obligation. Was hoping for something that did something different or complemented the Falx rather than straight up trumping it in every way.

But the BS, is basically just a way better version of the Sorylian BS for a very minor point increase.

No, not it's not really. It's almost the same in raw stats, and once you factor in upgrades it's actually inferior. Especially once you factor in shields and weapon shielding upgrades and the vulnerable mar...

Karuk just seems kinda lack luster beyond Aquan allies. even the Ganak only has one Fore fixed gun to degrade PD for so it can torp stuff. It's Gravity yes but it will need much help to shine against other BB in the output department.

I dont think theyre lackluster, I think theyre for the most part balanced and fine, and interesting to boot. Some of the ships are a bit good compared to their core race counterparts and that saddens me - the incentive should always be to take core race over allies, but some of the Alliance ships are just strsight up better than their core race counterparts. Then again, theyre still not as good as the Nausicaa, so there is that...

Where the Kurak PDF feels really lackluster is when you put it next to the Zenian PDF and how incredible RSN are, and how pretty damn awesome Works Raptor and the Bakash are. Even if the latter two arent as good as I think they are, they do something very different to their core counterparts where for the most part the Kurak ones are pretty run of the mill.

When I choose a ship/fleet. I differently look at the stats and see if it matches my play style. But I also look at fluff and design of the ship/fleet. Is it something I like and want to paint. That's how I do it.

Veydreth is very cool from a support perspective.

They are at the top of the curve when it comes to damage output putting out more AD than the Aquans do while having similar multi-arc fire setup.  If you time your activations

The Battleship does certain things waaay worse than a Sorylian Battleship, namely fighting other Battleships.  With no shields, weapon shielding, average CR and DR, it must maximize its strengths to pull a win.  This thing does just spew out torpedo's like crazy though.  If it stays in good shape then when it reaches the fight it can sweep opposition quickly, but Vulnerable puts the whole ship at risk of being crippled by a big critical hit.  Its a hybird, miner, boarder, gunship of a battleship.  Heavy Cruisers or ships with high general AD values can riddle this thing with shots easier than most but if the Predator has one huge advantage is its HP + Torps and Mines which let it stay in the fight for ages.  

I like the idea behind the Veydreth. The gunship and the destroyer have lots of utility whilst still retaining their roles. The other ships I'm a bit more confused by. I think they try to do too much.

Veydreth is very cool from a support perspective.

They are at the top of the curve when it comes to damage output putting out more AD than the Aquans do while having similar multi-arc fire setup.  If you time your activations

The Battleship does certain things waaay worse than a Sorylian Battleship, namely fighting other Battleships.  With no shields, weapon shielding, average CR and DR, it must maximize its strengths to pull a win.  This thing does just spew out torpedo's like crazy though.  If it stays in good shape then when it reaches the fight it can sweep opposition quickly, but Vulnerable puts the whole ship at risk of being crippled by a big critical hit.  Its a hybird, miner, boarder, gunship of a battleship.  Heavy Cruisers or ships with high general AD values can riddle this thing with shots easier than most but if the Predator has one huge advantage is its HP + Torps and Mines which let it stay in the fight for ages.  

My take exactly. They are like the (good) old Directorate, except a little more dice at long range and slightly less on short range.

Very much so. My changes in v2:

I would only have given the enforcer 5pts more but maybe add 2 inc mv then. Give some more pd for the big guys and some more dice to rb1-2. Kept the very cool +1 ini MAR and given two more flights for the carrier. Tormentor...well maybe change it to a torpedo spook ship. Heavy cruiser, like a actual heavy, same stats as a cruiser but more dr and cr. Crusiers would be cheaper...very quick thought up stuff. Scarily close to current RSN.

Sry for OT.

The Directorate have evolved into a different direction than V1.5 which is true.  The RSN also have changed considerable as well.  Definately not going to deny the parallels between the 1.5 Judgement and the 2.0 Spectre.  Similar weapons and all.

The Predator and Prowler are my two favourite models gameplay wise from the Veydreth.  The Predators main call to fame though really is the access to MV9 that it has.  The ability to make x3 turns and hoon around the map while putting out that many torps and mines makes its beastly.  It gets worn down by normal shots quickly though, but even when its well and truely on its way out it easily threatens enemy ships up to Cruiser weight with its torps and failing firepower.  

Veydreth at 800pts would be fun.  Consider this null deployment list;

Tier 1

Prowler Class Gunship (3) - Ambush (1) MAR/255pts

Tier 2

Stalker Class Assault Cruiser (3) - Ambush (1) MAR, Second Assault MAR/255pts

Hunter Class Destroyer (3) - Ambush (2) MAR/240pts

Tier 3

Reaver Class Corvette (2) - /50pts

Reserve the corvettes, deploy nothing but hidden markers.  Four markers, three squadrons, all exactly where you want them to be.  Not to mention 9 cruiser hulls at 800pts.  Scales up pretty decent to 1200; add in a tooled up Battleship, give everything High Energy Beams, add a full squadron of Hawker frigates for Scout move shenanigans, and bulk out the corvette squad a touch.

Looks like a fun list to play.  Very much fluffy for their description and definitely plays to their strengths.

No no they live!

Book has renders for all of them. My initial impression of the cruisers was a non organic, back to front orca. They look to have 3 huge engines and a prow that might look like a sharks head in 3d. I'm getting this from a top down line drawing and themes from the 2 existing sculpts, so I could be off (the prow could be square not triangle, for example)