Count Lootu

Official Thread: Habsburg Union Of Austro-Hungary

I would be interested. I think they will appear in a Mediterranean campaign book.

Are you sure about this? :-)

---

Lets do a bit of brainstorming: what should be an essence of Austrian army, what type of units and core force? Austro-Hungarian empire is (was) multinational empire (Austrians, Hungarians, Czechs, Slovenians, Croatians, Slovaks ...to name main ones) so its very difficult to grasp something to add flavour to the existing Prussian army and at the same time keep everyone happy :-)

Ever since I got into Napoleonics a few years ago, the Austrians have been my faction for the time period (8 out of 10 times I play Napolean: Total War, it's as the Austrians).  I'm really glad to see that they're going to get a little time in the sun.  I had briefly considered running a Legions force of Prussians in blue pants and white coats as Hungarians, but I can't paint well at all, so I decided to try to be patient for the French to come out.

Hababurg Union? :P

No one's perfect?

Are you sure about this? :-)

---

Lets do a bit of brainstorming: what should be an essence of Austrian army, what type of units and core force? Austro-Hungarian empire is (was) multinational empire (Austrians, Hungarians, Czechs, Slovenians, Croatians, Slovaks ...to name main ones) so its very difficult to grasp something to add flavour to the existing Prussian army and at the same time keep everyone happy :-)

This is actually pretty easy.  The Hungarians especially were renowned for their light cavalry during the Napoleonic age -- the original Hussars were Hungarian -- so a good Habsburg armored unit might be light and medium tanks that are glass cannons: extremely fast for their size, hit hard, but disintegrate if you land a solid hit.

The Croatian, Serb, and Bosnian populations of the Empire contributed a lot of men to "Grenzer" regiments.  These were light infantry formations similar in form and function to jaegers.  To translate this to DW, perhaps the Habsburg Union gets a new type of infantry regiment, the Grenzers, which have a rule like "Skirmishers: All ordnance and auxiliary weapon attacks against a unit of Skirmishers suffer a -1 to hit," but these units can only Line Infantry or Reserve formations.

On the naval side, the Austrians will be sailing from Trieste and Split with a primarily littoral defense role -- something with a shallow draft and a good turning radius makes sense.  I'd go with a light cruiser class, similar to a Marseilles with Sharp Turn but without the skimming (although if any Prussian ships should have Sea Skimmer, it'd be the Austrian ones).

This is a faction I am waiting to get. At least their models anyway.

So much so that I couldn't keep myself away from designing a Dreadnought model of my own.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t562/Heartbroken_Tone76/AustrianDreadnought_zps104c3368.jpg

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t562/Heartbroken_Tone76/AustrianDreadnoughtFront_zps7fee3b69.jpg

It's not finished yet. The back end still needs done.

I designed it to have 3 Turrets. 1 Fore, 2 Aft.
The Hull was inspired by this sort of ship http://www.sealink-holyhead.com/stena/ships/adventurer_ii/ADVENTURER1.jpg

with the farther forward superstructure/bridge section, as opposed to the current models where the superstructure is centrally placed.

The side gun housings I took off this actual Austro-Hungarian Battleship

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Habsburg_class_battleship.jpg

I thought it would make for a neat, and weird looking battleship, fit for a Steampunk world.

Stats for it, so far, stand at

Cost: 230pts

DR - 7, CR - 13, Mv - 6" - HP - 10

AP - 9, AA - 8, CC - 6, RR - 8

Turrets (P) - 11, 8, 6, 5

Broadside Guns (S) - 7, 6, 5

x3 Turrets

x6 Broadside Guns, 3 on each side

Turrets have 270 degree arc

Broadside Guns 90 degree arc, each (the front set fire a right angle from the fore to the side. The middle guns fire 90 degrees outwards, and the rear ones are a mirror of the fore guns)

Just wish I had a 3D printer..:( £1000 for a decent one is too much for me......

The Austro-Hungarian Empire was a personal union under the Habsburgs, who also at one point held the Spanish crown and a lot of other bits of Europe.  Depending on how things go in the DW timeline they might be looking to have the Prussians help them re-acquire or solidify some of their various lapsed claims.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Well, the only fluff we have on them paints them as a second rate House.

The way the fluff is written, I don't think the Emperor would give a damn about the Habsburg's claims to other territories because

1) They are not his claims

2) if they were to gain the territory they lost, they could challenge for their own freedom from the Empire. The Emperor has worked to long and hard to stabilize the Empire after the loss at Waterloo to simply help in its potential downfall from within.

In the period leading up to WW1 the Germans ended up allied with the Austrians against the Russians (when once they had been allies of both) because they had to choose a side over Serbia (whose independence was backed by the Russians due to pan-slavic nationalism, which was vigorously opposed by the Austro-Hungarians as it was one of their provinces at the time) and they chose the Austro-Hungarians.  That proved to be a catastrophically bad decision in hindsight (Bismarck once said that the secret to successful diplomacy was to make a good treaty with Russia.)  So the precedent of Germans getting themselves into trouble by backing Austrians on issues that matter only to Austrians is not exactly new.  

I could easily see the Prussians backing the Austro-Hungarian Empire in some futile Spanish adventure out of a desire to keep them on side, or because they both speak German, or for whatever other reason only made sense to the Prussian emperor at the time.  That's what you get with an absolute monarchy, you know.  One of the reasons we cut off the king's head once upon a time.  Got to keep them in line.

Oh I can well accept that the Prussian may do it in a fluff re-write (or more specifically, a re-write so as the fluff doesn't sound like the Prussians just don't care)

And I could well see a Spanish expedition at some point. Spain is only At-War with the Prussians in the Alliance PDF, and I do not see Spain being any kind of dominate force to be able to stop the Prussians, and will have to rely on their British allies.

Sorry, I should have provided some of the historical context. So:

"The House of Habsburg, also known as House of Austria, is one of the most important royal houses of Europe, the Habsburgs are best known for being Holy Roman Emperors for most of the time between 1438 and 1806, as well as rulers of the Austrian Empire and Spanish Empire and several other countries."

"Maximilian, the adventurous second son of Archduke Franz Karl, was invited as part of Napoleon III's manipulations to take the throne of Mexico, becoming Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico. The conservative Mexican nobility, as well as the clergy, supported this Second Mexican Empire."

Oh I can well accept that the Prussian may do it in a fluff re-write (or more specifically, a re-write so as the fluff doesn't sound like the Prussians just don't care)

And I could well see a Spanish expedition at some point. Spain is only At-War with the Prussians in the Alliance PDF, and I do not see Spain being any kind of dominate force to be able to stop the Prussians, and will have to rely on their British allies.

It really all depends on how much territory the Austrians have in DW Europe. If the "Austrian Dominion" is a sizable chunk of real estate than the Prussian Emperor may well have to listen to them or risk a revolt inside his empire.

In game terms the Austrians may be a perfect place to test new weapons or improve upon existing ones for the Prussian forces. Which may be how Spartan views them which is the only view that really matters at this point.

No that is something for our timeline not the DW timeline. In DW that would result in war with the FSA.

They're already at war with the FSA?  The Habsburgs are part of the Prussian Empire, and the Prussians already fought the FSA in Hurricane Season.  As a further aside, Emperor Napolean III is the same man who in DW is known as President Louis-Napolean Bonaparte.  Louis is trying to put a little distance between France and Prussia -- remain allied, but less of a client state -- so it's possible that he could pull the same shennanigans as a way to shake up the Prussians a touch and give France a little more autonomy.

Sorry for using a very old topic.

I am new to the game and have read a little bit in the background and just want to know more about the "details" of Austria.

taking this text from the official description:

Although theoretically an autocracy, the Prussian Emperor rules in concert with the regents of the many kingdoms, principalities, duchies and other political units of the empire. Hence, imperial politics involves a great deal of negotiation and patience. Frederick’s main concerns are ensuring the parity of his German and non-German subjects – always a potentially contentious matter – and dealing with the machinations of the Kingdom of Austria.

I just want to know what this kingdom of Austria is like

The DW time line is different, Napoleon died in 1804.

The same year the Austrian Empire should have been formed to answer the crowning of Napoleon to Emperor of France.

So Austria became never an Empire in DW, also it never made the change to dual-monarchy because it was already part of the Prussian empire and there the former kingdoms of the Austrian Empire were already kingdoms of the Prussian empire.

What should be left to form the Kingdom of Austria is likely a part of the later Cisleithanien (Austrian part of the kuk monarchy), because Hungary should be already a kingdom of its own and Croatia too.

Cisleithania (Empire of Austria):

1. Bohemia, 2. Bukovina, 3. Carinthia, 4. Carniola, 5. Dalmatia, 6. Galicia, 7. Küstenland, 8. Lower Austria, 9. Moravia, 10. Salzburg, 11. Silesia, 12. Styria, 13. Tirol, 14. Upper Austria, 15. Vorarlberg;

Transleithania (Kingdom of Hungary):

16. Hungary proper 17. Croatia-Slavonia; 18. Bosnia and Herzegovina

For Dystopian Wars,

white part is the Kingdom of Austria, orange part the Kingdom of Croatia and the yellow part the Kingdom of Hungary, maybe Bohemia as separate Kingdom (light yellow) or part of Austria

bi46rc.jpg

the Austrian Navy can be different from the rest of the Prussian Empire (some of the most important developments for modern ships were made in Austria) to fit the Adriatic see and warfare in the Mediterranean

Smaller but faster vessels, all armed with torpedos and lighter but more accuracy artillery

therefore in WWI Austria had its own ship class, which was something in between a light cruiser and a heavy torpedoboat of other nations, called Rapidkreuzer (rapid cruiser)

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg335/lazer_one/CLSMSHELGOLAND.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/SMS_Helgoland_Kopie.jpg

the Novara class rapid cruiser were comparable to the german Königsberg Class in WWI with the Novara class being faster (30 to 24 kn) having no Anti-Air guns but more torpedo tubes (6/8 to 2) and lesser armour (60 to 100mm)

so austrian ships should be faster but with less armour than their german counterparts and all armed with torpedo (like it was in real, also the dreadnoughts had their torpedo tubes)

PS:

Some other info an alternative history

-there is a difference between k.k. and k.u.k.

k.k. means kaiserlich königlich and was used for official organizations in the Austrian Empire from 1804, like k.k. army or navy

k.u.k. is kaiserlich und königlich which is a shortcut für kaiserlich österreichisch und königlich ungarisch which was used since 1867 after the dual monarchy was formed.

the difference between the Austrian empire and the Austria-Hungary empire is more or less the size and status of the Hungarian kingdom and the missing of venice

k.k.: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/KaisertumOsterreich.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Austrian_Empire_%281815%29.svg

k.u.k.: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Austria-hungary.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Austro-Hungarian_Monarchy_%281914%29.svg

-triple monarchy

there were plans to form 3 kingdoms inside the Austrian empire in1867, but it failed and Croatia became part of the Hungarian kingdom

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/212/5/5/austria_hungary_bohemia_flag_by_kyuzoaoi-d428rbw.png

-United States of Greater Austria, Danube Federation

there were plans to form a new Austrian Empire, with state borders concerning the ethnic groups.

but with the assassination of Franz-Ferdinand (and earlier the suicide of Rudolf) such plans never had a chance.

the only interesting fact is that the state borders planed for the new empire in 1906 matched more or less the borders of the countries formed later after the 2 wars:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Greater_austria.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Greater_austria_ethnic.svg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2009/355/e/4/Greater_Austria_althis_by_lamnay.jpg

kodos

Welcome to DW !

The Austrian question has been around for two years now at least. As of this time we don't know what Spartan Games intention is for this dominion of the Prussian Empire. I would wait until after DW 2.0 is released and see if anything new comes to light from Spartan Games. Right now I can say from personal experience that it's all about 2.0 right now.

I can't wait to see 2.0

Because after I looked first into this game I decided to wait until second edition (always wait until a second edition comes, to see if a game has a future or not) and now I am preparing myself to get into the game (ordering first models to paint and such things)

But I am a little bit disappointed that there is still not much detail about the "early years".

Of course it is good if there are some mysteries in history left, but a game also need some details (or historic persons) to be more than a simple table top game.

I don't know if there are some fan-fiction or short-storys around (did not find anything) the get deeper into the fluff

There is a fan fiction thread. Can't recall the name of the thread, but it is there in general discussion.

About preparing for 2.0. Get any of the miniatures that are out now that you like cause they are all going to be in 2.0 !! Nothing is being left behind. And paint fast !!! It won't be a long wait for 2.0 !!!! :ph34r:  :)

The "history" of DW and how we got to the world at war is not overly complex or really all that mysterious. Background has continuously been provided. Some recent "histories" in the Danish fleet guide and the Polish fleet guide are particularly interesting. ( Look at the free pdfs.) To past the time before 2.0 hits I would look at all the pdfs if you are really into the background and also try to find the three campaign books ( Hurricane Season, Storm of Steel and Operation Sirocco).