Grimenart

Official Thread: League Of Italian States

Aside from Fighter SAS, no. Aerial units just aren't very popular in my meta.

I would recommend that you give them a try. But do be reasonable about your expectations on both of them. If your meta uses a lot of Air Hunter units, both of them mightn't work as well for you as they do for me.

It really sounds like the problem is with an unprepared meta than your list. The sky fort us good, but not broken, it has a lot of shields but it's core hull isn't all that tough. I remember the first time I took a sky fortress (polish) in my own meta, it drank the enemies tears because they just weren't prepared for it.

Your list is a decent list but doesn't scream cheese or boring so I think it's fine. I know in my own meta, the aerial units would find it less their own way. We are still a young meta, but several people are now taking aerial units to battle for the sky's.

Last Sunday I joined a megabattle at Milan with our gaming group. I have an Aerial core with 1 Ballista, 1 Hasta, 3 pilum with node projector, 5 stiletto accompained by 1 Mars and 1 Brigante formation (1 Gladius and 3 Cinquedea); on the other side the biggest Russian ships (1Moskva, 1 Borodino, 1 carrier and a squadron of Novgorod).

My opponent easy crippled the naval support, but my Aerial found their way through the ablative armour and sinked the carrier in turn 1 (double 1 and exploding) and the Borodino in turn 2 (double 6 )

I had big problems when the Moskva fired at full strenght, I got in serious trouble because I cannot draw a single hit... We need something that can give some trouble to Dreadnoughts of the other nations

001.jpg

19 hours ago, Glauco said:

Last Sunday I joined a megabattle at Milan with our gaming group. I have an Aerial core with 1 Ballista, 1 Hasta, 3 pilum with node projector, 5 stiletto accompained by 1 Mars and 1 Brigante formation (1 Gladius and 3 Cinquedea); on the other side the biggest Russian ships (1Moskva, 1 Borodino, 1 carrier and a squadron of Novgorod).

My opponent easy crippled the naval support, but my Aerial found their way through the ablative armour and sinked the carrier in turn 1 (double 1 and exploding) and the Borodino in turn 2 (double 6 )

I had big problems when the Moskva fired at full strenght, I got in serious trouble because I cannot draw a single hit... We need something that can give some trouble to Dreadnoughts of the other nations

001.jpg

We dont need something against Dreads, especially against Moskva, because we have few things against it. Speed and better firepower in distance, Your Mars and Brigandine squadron should be enough against it and cripple it before he manage to get into RB 2. 

And second... we have calc. gen and lots of elites (especially if you had Pillums), so why you didnt board it?

Mars crippled bad and sinked, and only a cinquedea remains of the brigantine. Pilum from 3 reduced to 1, and even the ballista was badly damaged... at least i try to bomb with everything... not enough 

Well you did sink the Borodino and the carrier by turn two. A dreadnought needs to be picked on early and every turn to be sunk.

You played it right by sinking the BB and carrier. Sometimes you need to just ignore a Dn or Dreadbot.

On 29/1/2017 at 3:41 PM, Lord Nobody said:

Well you did sink the Borodino and the carrier by turn two. A dreadnought needs to be picked on early and every turn to be sunk.

You played it right by sinking the BB and carrier. Sometimes you need to just ignore a Dn or Dreadbot.

I played a good game indeed, I'll try again the core aerial even if it needs a particular attention due implicit fragility

Have you see the new Spuntone (Spike in english)? it seems a Gladius overloaded of turrets! I'm curious to see the stats... there will be a new ORBAT for Italians?

On 4. 2. 2017 at 10:55 AM, Glauco said:

I played a good game indeed, I'll try again the core aerial even if it needs a particular attention due implicit fragility

Have you see the new Spuntone (Spike in english)? it seems a Gladius overloaded of turrets! I'm curious to see the stats... there will be a new ORBAT for Italians?

I said it some time before, gunship fitts to italian style, so i am glad for that, i think it will be Gladius with even more firepower.

I've just been reading the latest blog. The Sputone gunship is pretty good.

I'm also happy that the Corsican prison tower is for special scenarios, and not an official addition to the fleet. Shield(5) on the flagship is just way too horrible to contemplate in a general game.

30 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I've just been reading the latest blog. The Sputone gunship is pretty good.

I'm also happy that the Corsican prison tower is for special scenarios, and not an official addition to the fleet. Shield(5) on the flagship is just way too horrible to contemplate in a general game.

The Sputone is VERY good!  I can see lots of Admirals wanting to add a squadron to their forces... the AA is enough to make RoF jealous....

(I also love the Cyclops- nothing spectacular but a good Ship of the Line which the Wolves lacked.. and still packs a punch over their weight.)

TL;DR - are LoIS usable as Mercs?

Maybe you Italian aficionados can help me out - I'd been considering flicking off my old LoIS v1 starter, as I've got too many other fleets taking my attention at the moment, but while skimming through the Digi-Admiral rulebook section on Alliances, I got all interested again by the possibility of LoIS as Mercs (ref: pp 135-136).

Thing is, I'm confused. The ORBATs for both the Ottomans and the Australians make it clear that there are Royal/Traditionalist, and Free/Separatist factions, but while in the Digi-Admiral rulebook it also indicates that the LoIS has Traditionalists & Separatists, their ORBAT doesn't reflect that.

Does anyone know - can I just take my LoIS as Separatist Mercs anyway? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bazlord said:

TL;DR - are LoIS usable as Mercs?

Maybe you Italian aficionados can help me out - I'd been considering flicking off my old LoIS v1 starter, as I've got too many other fleets taking my attention at the moment, but while skimming through the Digi-Admiral rulebook section on Alliances, I got all interested again by the possibility of LoIS as Mercs (ref: pp 135-136).

Thing is, I'm confused. The ORBATs for both the Ottomans and the Australians make it clear that there are Royal/Traditionalist, and Free/Separatist factions, but while in the Digi-Admiral rulebook it also indicates that the LoIS has Traditionalists & Separatists, their ORBAT doesn't reflect that.

Does anyone know - can I just take my LoIS as Separatist Mercs anyway? Thanks!

The Ottomans have the separate "faction" because both sides have different universal special rules. The Italians have no differences like this. So it's one statline for all of them.

So yes, you can use them as the separatist mercs. 

3 hours ago, Merlin said:

The Ottomans have the separate "faction" because both sides have different universal special rules. The Italians have no differences like this. So it's one statline for all of them.

So yes, you can use them as the separatist mercs. 

Cool - thanks. I was just aware that they'd messed up the Alliance tables in the rulebook with respect to the LoIS, so i didn't want to take anything for granted before going off and purchasing 4 Pila and 2 Minervas... ;-)

No problem. Though this is already a moot point within the v2.5 rulebook, as the Italians are now just plain and simple Free Nation, which allows them to ally with anybody they like.

Ahhhh, so no longer Mercs then? It's a fair point tho - all bets are off until v2.5 comes fully into the light, and the ORBATS catch up.

Although, just reading the changelog posted by @Ruckdog, it states that there's just going to be the three power blocks (GC, Free, IB), and Allies can only be taken from another power block of your opponent consents. So, Mercenaries are completely a thing of the past? 

I'd been hoping to take those Italian Calcification Node Generator squadrons with my Indian Raj, but it looks a bit shaky now, if I have to be cheesy and rely on my opponent's permission each time.

There are 2 Blocks (GC and IB), the Free Nations is not a Major Power Block - but be careful. Somewhere on the forums, they said, there will be statements in the new ORBATs with whom the free nations can ally with. Additionally, models with the SV MAR can't be taken as allies (Minerva?).

2 hours ago, Phant Mastik said:

There are 2 Blocks (GC and IB), the Free Nations is not a Major Power Block - but be careful. Somewhere on the forums, they said, there will be statements in the new ORBATs with whom the free nations can ally with. Additionally, models with the SV MAR can't be taken as allies (Minerva?).

Interesting! I had missed that discussion. From the way the 2.5 PDF reads, the Imperial Bond and Grand coalition are the only two superblocks, though the diagram makes the free nations look like they are also a block. 

3 hours ago, Phant Mastik said:

Additionally, models with the SV MAR can't be taken as allies (Minerva?).

Fair point! That's a shame - it looks like a nice little vessel. Still, the Pila would work, but then to get two Calcification Projectors, you're looking at 390pts or more (50pts minimum for the requisite non-Capital squadron), and that's quite a bit. Would only just sneak into a 1000pt force. But it would still be a nice surprise for the Raj to come to town (/open ocean), with a few allied aerial assets :-)

What I suspect will happen, due to the way the "super-block" table is set up, is each of the Mercenary-type forces will have special "override" conditions that allow them to work with specific nations (eg the East India Merchant Company, and the Kingdom of Britannia) due to their close history. Others, such as the League of Crimson, might have a different set up again due to being a specific person, and their retinue.

7 hours ago, Ruckdog said:

Interesting! I had missed that discussion. From the way the 2.5 PDF reads, the Imperial Bond and Grand coalition are the only two superblocks, though the diagram makes the free nations look like they are also a block. 

Page 63(!) of the Dystopian World Expansion Kit thread- as per Josh-

To quote page 199:

"Allies are organised into two Super-Blocks: The Imperial Bond and Grand Coalition, as well as in a third category known as Free Nations."

"No Allies may be taken from two different Super-Blocks without the express permission of an Opponent."

So restriction is that you can't use Imperial Bond Units in Grand Coalition Fleets or vice versa. As Free Nations are NOT a Super Block they can still be used by either IB or GC but will be subject to limitations in their individual ORBATs. The stuff in the ORBAT will be who they can't work for as they can work for anyone under the allies matrix. This is generally a shorter list as some people (Eclipse Company, League of Crimson etc.) will work for anyone. Some (East India) will lean to a certain Super Block and others will have individual restrictions (Black Wolf won't work for Russians, but will for others).

Covenant can't be included as allies with anyone but can hire some select 'contractors', again detailed in the ORBAT.

Josh