Grimenart

Official Thread: League Of Italian States

Ok i'm a bit behind that times but i'm trying to work out who is now who in the league. from the blog post:

Lombardy leans now to the Grand Coalition ie  Britannia. America and Russia

Sardinia goes the other way, does this mean they stay with Antarctica or Prussia? or have they become Mercs?

Naples Strikes out on its own. ie no factional allies. do they have minor allied status with anyone? or are they Mercs

Venice sets up as a Mercantile / Mercenary Company (

Some (a lot) of Hunter fleets have turned effectively to piracy? Or become Mercs?

The Covenant of Antarctica is hiring hunter fleets as Mercs? or are they Traditionalists so are still a minor Ally?

Garibaldi has retreated but still harbors dreams of unifying the country? does this mean he is Prussian Allied, Free Nation Allied or a Merc?

My last question, outside of Garibaldi's Legion is anyone any the wiser as to which state is which Merc company?

The league is done and gone. (which I feel, sadly, is a huge mistake fluff wise)

All of the major factions, and their satellites/vassals, are effectively independent.

Naples and Venice are neutral, Venice being more Mercenary than Naples though (although these two HATE each other)

Lombardy I feel is neutral, however leaning towards the Coalition (which makes zero sense in my mind since they are a land locked country and were rather buddy-buddy with Prussia.)

And Sardinia is a lot like Lombardy, however they lean towards the Bond (which also makes zero sense to me, I feel that these guys and Lombardy should be reversed.)

The latter two factions, I feel, are that while they are not so much willing to be "all in" for their respective faction unless the situation is practically guaranteed that they will win, and then they will "help" to some degree.

Who says they don't have Genova? The four countries of the Tetrachy were only the largest states in Italy. There would be dozens of smaller ones, each with a much smaller millitary, that are not mentioned directly in the fluff.

Heck, you could make your force to be the fleet of the Repubblica di Genova...

They should have made the Republic of Genova, the natural adversary of Venice.

Some page earlier I've proposed a map of Italian political situation before the first napoleonic campaign. It's a good base IMHO

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/4929-official-thread-league-of-italian-states/page-36#entry231794

So does anyone have any experience playing against the Danes? Those Skagerrak gunships looks scary on the stats, overkill AD..... and pretty fast. Even at RB 3 I don't want any of my ships to get hit by them. Since Italians do rely on getting close to their enemies would that be a disadvantage for us and their mines would make hit and run difficult.

So does anyone have any experience playing against the Danes? Those Skagerrak gunships looks scary on the stats, overkill AD..... and pretty fast. Even at RB 3 I don't want any of my ships to get hit by them. Since Italians do rely on getting close to their enemies would that be a disadvantage for us and their mines would make hit and run difficult.

Yes, it was very fast, fun and destructive for both sides. It  came out as a draw  with about 80% casualties on both sides, and both missions accomplished.  Given mines ignore all the Italian protective measures,  crippling minelayers is a very high priority.  

James

Had a game today that ended up in a draw(990 to 975 both mission objectives complete). A lot of things didn't go well for me early on but I was able to pull out a draw with my Mars prizing my opponents Elbe. Real heroes of the day were the Mars, the Gladius coming in from the flank turn 3 and surprisingly enough my dive bombers. They ended up doing enough AA damage to my opponents SAS to minimize the damage they could have done to my fleet.

Well can say got some experiance with the ships some after Kings of the North.

Kailions Ghost report:

The Minvera is nice and efficient sniper, but soo vunrable to a boarding rush squad. Lost 3 to various incidents.

The Mars found solid only lost 1 due to beening overwhelm and shield failures.

The Sky Fortress which kept coming back barely flying from every battle while been swarmed by fighters. (One game it had 1hp, set on fire by the scientist, steering was broken, etc.)

The Frigates did very well claiming many kills to their loss.

Story: Kailion Ghost did well to hold back the Prussian tide with the other Mercnaries.. For the grand coalition.. But decided to cut losses when the final battle was decided, take a constellation prize from the found tech and head home to Raverns Roost.

Kailion was certainly not going to go quietly or empty handed.

Shaun

Hellp,

I'm starting a new distopyan war fleet, my first one with some friends.

So, as italian , for the first time in a wargames, I really like italian miniatures but I also like the prussian empires ones.

I'm here to ask you which are the strong and the weak points of italian and which kind of play style suited them.

Many thanks

The Italians are fast, deadly, and very fragile if used carelessly. They will take more getting used to than some other forces, such as the Prussians

The Italians  have Hit and Run as a widespread special rule- allowing them to move, fire and finish their move. Just as it sounds, this can make them very tough to get to grips with, if used carefully. To sum up their play-style, I would say it is use their speed  to concentrate force on certain portions of the enemy fleet, and cripple it fast, to avoid retaliation.

The downside is they are fragile. They  tend to have low damage and critical ratings, which represent  how tough models are, and low crew numbers, so are often vulnerable to being boarded. They cannot afford to end up in a slugging match, they'll come off worst.

The other really strong thing about them is the models. Out of all the Dystopian forces, model wise, I think they are my favourite.

James

Thanks,

I like their ( our :) ) model too, but I like also prussian...

I want only to understand well if they could stand against the other factions or if they're comdened when facing major factions, that is my main concern, especially because they seem to haven't lot of model than major powers.

I really like the strategy that you underline here, what is the best buy for a newbie? I saw that the battlefleet box have a lot of thing inside...nearly 1000 point, but something tell me that I will need the AFFONDATORE....or at least the sky fortress; right?

Without the Affondatore, or the Sky Fortress you will want to have a forward landing field

One of these three options is needed to rearm/repair/repurpose your SAWs 

(otherwise, your only option for reusable SAW is fighters) 

A Forward Landing Field is a fortification, with a size equal to that of a mobile airfield base. 

I've done two 'quick and dirty' methods to get FLF 'models' on the table.

The least expensive was a piece of printer photo paper the correct size with an appropriately cropped and sized image from one of the "Forgotten Airfields" Sites on the internet. Lay that down on the table, and it will do.

Next level was a piece of plasticard, panted, partially flocked, and with some of the Spartan Games scenery added (the original Airfield set - I was actually able to do two of these with one set of terrain.

gallery_450_424_84134.jpg

Either of these options will provide a representation for the "Forward Landing Field" fortification at 115 points and with a 6 Carrier rating. 

This will allow you to service and re-arm your Local Air Support SAW's - otherwise you would not be able to use Torpedo bombers or Dive Bombers for more than one attack run. 

yes...but...if we use a water table where I can place it?

so, btw, I bought the fleet box and the support box with the AFFONDATORE.

I hope I would obtain something good with them....

What about the UCCISORE ? I like them...are they so good in game? they resemble our ww2 MAS in concept

Uccis are good irritation units and can stem the tide against large groups of smalls. However, they are very vulnerable to rams and boarding. I like to get 12 uccis in each list to peeve off the guy across from me!

Nice to know this thing...it will seem a pacific far far island-airport.

So, anyone can tell me which is the best way to use the UCCISORE ( this name is so lol in italian ) squadron? Is it possible to merge a strong air support with a lot of them?

Thanks in advance

I don't think more than 12 is something i would recommend. But it is possible to combine both. Just remember that uccis bleed points to your opponent and don't count for smalls or any other category so tac missions are easier to pull off if you've a heavy investment in them. Plus, while the affondatore is beastly it lacks the true punch of the mars so don't weaken yourself too much. The gladii are probably a decent avenue to get them, 255 pnts for 9 ships isn't shabby. Especially for the fireproof they bring on the gladii themselves.

But which is the LoIS best ship? Affondatore is a sort of battleship/carrier and seem good on paper, I saw that Cinquedea ( I really can't understand this name, is senseless in italian and maybe also in latin ) and they seem really good for 30 point...or not?

Sorrt for my stupid question but I'm entering in this new world and I must understand something :)

But which is the LoIS best ship? Affondatore is a sort of battleship/carrier and seem good on paper, I saw that Cinquedea ( I really can't understand this name, is senseless in italian and maybe also in latin ) and they seem really good for 30 point...or not?

Sorrt for my stupid question but I'm entering in this new world and I must understand something :)

Affondatore is the best large

Cinquedea (is a type of dagger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinquedea) is very good.

Minerva and Pilum have good statistic also. And the Node projector that is a good thing to have in battle.