spooker

Official Thread: Prussian Scandinavia

1 hour ago, Zahariel said:

Also slightly off topic,  the new arc nerf is unwarranted for the sturmbringer.  Effectively make it a worse choice than the eider mk2

To be fair, it makes the Sturmbringer make a bit more sense, model wise, since that bombard is not capable of a 270 degree arc.

And while the Sturmbringer is a good vessel, it shouldn't necessarily be a better choice over a Battleship considering the points gap between them. Besides, it actually not that bad with the 90 degree arc. Though it would be nice if the aft Speerschleuder could get in on shots with the bombard. 

Though, it would be cool if they were switched out for Speerschleuder torpedo turrets. Means it doesn't need to rise to the surface to shoot. And when it does, and you inevitably fail to get it to dive back down, it'll have a weapon that can still threaten something.

That being said, Submarines in general need better surface defenses. Every time I've brought mine it pops up for a shot and I fail to send it back down and then it's focused to death the rest of that turn. That is a symptom of all submarines that only have surface firing weapons..........except the new Russian one that is. Tough as nails on the surface, but just as much firepower as a Battleship. Very powerful.

14 minutes ago, Gen. Eric said:

@Spartan Mike I'm not saying it doesn't look good, or that you don't already have my money for one. Remember, the metzger also surfs on the Rhine. I just want the MK4 Metzger shaped like Bender Bending Rodriguez.

I was wondering about that surfing metzger. When can we get one of those models out!  

Ya shiny new super guns will do that to a wargamers brain! ;) 

I can assure you that they are infact rather awesome new ordinance! Should be a powerful new tool for the Emperor to smite his foes with! 

@Gen. Eric :) that's a robot I would definately like to see fall through some kinda Sturginium-created worm hole and start trouble in the universe! 

-Mike

9 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

Ya shiny new super guns will do that to a wargamers brain! ;) 

I can assure you that they are infact rather awesome new ordinance! Should be a powerful new tool for the Emperor to smite his foes with! 

@Gen. Eric :) that's a robot I would definately like to see fall through some kinda Sturginium-created worm hole and start trouble in the universe! 

-Mike

Well, its wouldn't be the first time he time traveled and wrought havoc upon us meaty flesh-bags. I imagine his first words into DW woud be ,"I'm back, baby!" To which we shout, "We love Bender!" and he replies "Shut up, Baby. I know it".

Does the new Metz have a RB4 Speer, @Spartan Mike ?

Hmmmm i kinda wish the STO has a carrier like the Asgard from the Danes. 

Can launch planes with a squadron support of 6 Fausts (or its improved version) surfing on a revamped arminus.  Man that would be so cool and darn awesome. 

@Gen. Eric lol my Bender thoughts exactly!

In regards to which new Metzger is this question directed?

The new Sibrand class has a Heavy Tesla Accelerator Gun... which fires something much worse than Speer bolts! (at the velocity fired, even the heaviest speers would tear apart!) This gruesome gun easily lights up targets from across any Range Band, with a very serious impact!

The "new 2017" Metzger Ausf-b has a shiny new and improved Speerschleuder gauntlet. Definately a more powerful version than his finger fork prior, but keeping the classic bands as is common for for the ordnance. 

@Zahariel Oh ye of little faith! Couldn't possibly let an STO force be without some kinda carrier... all will be revealed in the ORBAT! ;)

-Mike

1 hour ago, Spartan Mike said:

The new Sibrand class has a Heavy Tesla Accelerator Gun... which fires something much worse than Speer bolts! (at the velocity fired, even the heaviest speers would tear apart!) This gruesome gun easily lights up targets from across any Range Band, with a very serious impact!

The "new 2017" Metzger Ausf-b has a shiny new and improved Speerschleuder gauntlet. Definately a more powerful version than his finger fork prior, but keeping the classic bands as is common for for the ordnance. 

@Zahariel Oh ye of little faith! Couldn't possibly let an STO force be without some kinda carrier... all will be revealed in the ORBAT! ;)

-Mike

What about the St. Michael Pattern Metzger. Will he be making an appearance, and be usable in the water too?

I do hope so. Can't tell you how many times I would have loved to use him in Naval games instead of the Ausf-B Metzger 

@Merlin of coarse everyone wants to use it in naval! Statistically, it's just a flat brainless stat vs. points improvement over the Ausf-b! Lol

Gunna have to defer this subject to future revelations. It would be safe to bet that there are plans for it, given the recent releases and promise of a new ORBAT! :) 

-Mike

51 minutes ago, Spartan Mike said:

@Merlin of coarse everyone wants to use it in naval! Statistically, it's just a flat brainless stat vs. points improvement over the Ausf-b! Lol

Gunna have to defer this subject to future revelations. It would be safe to bet that there are plans for it, given the recent releases and promise of a new ORBAT! :) 

-Mike

More a case that it was a better, shielded version of the only Metzger we had access to. The arguments against the Ausf-B would probably have been different if this version was allowed to be used in Naval games. But alas we'll never know what might have been. I'm just hoping it gets updated as well and is usable in Naval games too.

2 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

-Mike

Hahaha very good to hear indeed!  

Psssttt, please make little surfing robots for future releases too!  =P 

The full scope of this amazing new release is going to set up the STO as a solid and capable new-ish faction. One that able to take the field against all the enemies of the Emporer with brutal efficiency. 

Our aim is to start rolling out a heavy handed updates to all the "not quite there" alliance and minor nations of the game over time. 

Operation: Northstar has set the stage for this process and I am looking forward to ushering it all out to you all! Lots of incredible stuff yet to come!

-Mike

Potentially stupid question (and sorry if this has been answered before) but does anyone know what the green and red STO flag is inspired by? Given the focus of Prussian Scandinavia on the Teutonic order, it seems odd to not at least have some reference to the order's black, white and yellow.

That has never been explained. I suspect it has something to do with the Kingdom of Sweden and Norway in the 1800s.

A quick look on Google brought up a Wikipedia article about the Flag of union for the countries. In that article the Flag was called "Herring Salad" because it looked a lot like a Norwegian dish of the same name with Green, White, Yellow and Red (Parsely, Egg White, Egg Yoke and Beetroot) toppings on this salad. 

Probably completely wrong on this being the reason, it's the only one I can find with a quick Google search.

So either the colours were picked at complete random, or Spartan got super real with the colour scheme.

I also suspect someone at SG is aware of the separatist movement in the Norrland region of Sweden.  (the Norrland area, though technically unofficial covers almost 55% of Sweden- but only has about 1 million or so inhabitants- out of Sweden's 10 million population.  A lot of Sweden's resource wealth comes from the area, and they are VERY anti-EU.  They voted against it in the 1994 referendum but were overruled by the rest of the country)   They even have a couple unofficial flags, one of which looks exactly like the STO flag minus the red. 

On 6/28/2017 at 2:50 PM, Zahariel said:

This base is now the ultimate power in the dystopian world! I suggest we use it! ( or let us buy it separately!)  

I only saw that base after I purchased my Scandinavian set (w/ Metzger). But I want that base more than Rick wants that Mulan McNugget sauce.

So, I've gotten both the main Teutonic box and the Teutonic half of the two-player box. I am fairly certain that both were purchased in the time limit to get the special extra stuff. That makes for a Teutonic Fortress, a Sibrand Metzger, two Arks, four Eider MKIIIs, two squads of tesla gunships, two squads of tesla frigates, and a squad of heavy frigates.Even if I didn't get the pre-order bonuses, that's still two Arks and two Eider MKIIIs. It strikes me as a bit too top-heavy. Are we going to get more small/medium Teutonic models soon to alleviate that? Or will we need to order Prussian Empire models as an allied force for that purpose?