pancakeonions

Official Thread: Ottoman Empire

Actually, the Hissar has two primary turrets, two fore bombards and volley gun broadsides. Don't forget the turrets and bombards are corrosive as well. Combine that with excellent durability, the ability to negate the storms its hiding in if you provide enough spotters (Zuhafs, anyone), highest value Weather Control generator in the game and the complement of SAW it carries and I'd say it packs a very, very decent punch for what is basically a glorified carrier deck on legs.

One thing you could feasibly try is aligning the bombards with a target, and linking in one or both turrets as partially blocked. If the fixed channels can see a target, chances are at least one turret has a partially blocked view of your target. Hey, it's another AD or two!

Why is it that the OE ORBAT has all these mechanics surrounding mines, but their only model that actually drops mines is an areal model, making it non-core for most battles. Why don't they get any more mine layers, especially a naval model. The are the other side of the coin for KoD, they have lots of mine options and little in the way of control.

7 hours ago, Gen. Eric said:

Why is it that the OE ORBAT has all these mechanics surrounding mines, but their only model that actually drops mines is an areal model, making it non-core for most battles. Why don't they get any more mine layers, especially a naval model. The are the other side of the coin for KoD, they have lots of mine options and little in the way of control.

At the time of the rules being written, there   were more minelayers planned for release. Unfortunately, things got delayed.

How do you guys effectively play the OE anyway, I find the lack of defense mechanism prior to unit activation a challenge. It pretty much forces me to activate my larges first to throw down storm templates in order to protect the yet unactivated mediums / smalls, but a misplaced template could mean that it impacts my shooting as well. Maybe I am just a noob with them, appreciate some pointer gents.

5 hours ago, Benchpresser said:

They have confirmed they added the Ottomans to the Allies Upgrade later this year (or early next).

Huzzah!

4 hours ago, Nicholas said:

How do you guys effectively play the OE anyway, I find the lack of defense mechanism prior to unit activation a challenge. It pretty much forces me to activate my larges first to throw down storm templates in order to protect the yet unactivated mediums / smalls, but a misplaced template could mean that it impacts my shooting as well. Maybe I am just a noob with them, appreciate some pointer gents.

They do seem like they can be a very technical faction to play, but who does air-burst mines besides them? Besides, KoD and LoIS don't have much defensive tech. Some times the best defense is a very robust offense.

I play with the Dreadnought going first, drawing the incoming fire then activating two squads of Monitors to get some first strike shots with their bombards from far away before the opponent gets close enough to cause problems. Then the rest of the fleet activates, turning on the cloud effect as they go. 

So far, I've not lost a game with my Ottomans using this list

Kanuni Dreadnought

Sinop Monitor Squadron

Sinop Monitor Squadron

Fettah Cruiser Squadron

Avci Destroyer Squadron

Mizrak Frigate Squadron

Mizrak Frigate Squadron

>  Some times the best defense is a very robust offense.

I will have to adapt to this mindset. My primary fleet is the KoB and it's quite a change from how the Brits play.

@Merlin - thanks for the tips! What do you think about the Sadrazam and also the minelayers? How often do mines factor in your list building?

@Nicholas

The Battleship is.....ok? But it just doesn't have the pure killing ability of the Dreadnought, and much like the Chinese, an ottoman list suffers without the Dreadnought being present. Thats my experience anyway.

The GNE is a next to worthless option, since the generator doesn't affect the model it's on, meaning you need to bring two battleships to really make use of it. Even then, the second generator can only work on a cruiser or frigate squad, since the first battleship has already been activated and can't move any more that turn. But that costs over 350pts.

Since the Dreadnought is only 270pts, you really have no reason to ever bring the Battleship.

As for mines. Never use them. Without High Payload, mines in general are worthless and since only a single model can drop mines, and that model has no other weapon system for 30pts, it just isn't worth the effort. Save the points on them and mine control generators. You'll never need them.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:22 AM, Merlin said:

I play with the Dreadnought going first, drawing the incoming fire then activating two squads of Monitors to get some first strike shots with their bombards from far away before the opponent gets close enough to cause problems. Then the rest of the fleet activates, turning on the cloud effect as they go. 

So far, I've not lost a game with my Ottomans using this list

Kanuni Dreadnought

Sinop Monitor Squadron

Sinop Monitor Squadron

Fettah Cruiser Squadron

Avci Destroyer Squadron

Mizrak Frigate Squadron

Mizrak Frigate Squadron

So with Corrosive being nerfed hard in 2.5 would you still field the two squads of Sinops?

34 minutes ago, firelord444 said:

So with Corrosive being nerfed hard in 2.5 would you still field the two squads of Sinops?

I would as corrosive never really applied in my games. My opponents nearly always fix it. 

The only thing that concerns me is the Squadron Support (is it getting wing Launcher 3 or getting the 3 fighter SAWs you normally have to pay 10pts extra to get) and the lack of Spotters, besides the useless Zuhaf (I really do not want to be forced to bring a Zuhaf just to use IDF).

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

I would as corrosive never really applied in my games. My opponents nearly always fix it. 

The only thing that concerns me is the Squadron Support (is it getting wing Launcher 3 or getting the 3 fighter SAWs you normally have to pay 10pts extra to get) and the lack of Spotters, besides the useless Zuhaf (I really do not want to be forced to bring a Zuhaf just to use IDF).

I imagine it would get Wing Launcher- the Strumbringer got the same treatment.  It would be interesting to see if the Sinops get Wing Launcher AND Squadron Support- they'd be able to "replenish" their own CAPS.

Part of me wonders if 2.5 Ottomans will get Squadron Support (SAW 5) as a MAR or a cheap readily available option.  Given the limited range of operation they have (compared to the great powers) it would make a lot of sense, especially if they aren't going to get a carrier.  I agree with you on the Zuhaf- it needs... something!

Played a game on Sunday with 2.0 rules, and put 6 corrosive markers on a FSA Heavy Battleship, it was a sight for sore eyes, I am going to miss it.  We where also discussing what we thought they would do with the sinops 3  plane option, it kinda scares me, since it is my favorite fleet.