pancakeonions

Official Thread: Ottoman Empire

The games I have played with them so far definitely put them in the competitive category. It requires some finesse to get the most out of them, but they are a great fleet if you like table control.

The update was just enough to fix some of the pitfalls without going overboard.

I have played a few games with the latest rules stats, and  the fleet is just kinda  in a wacky spot right now,

The Fettah, are amazing at 60 points,  the best buy in the fleet by far.

The Mizrak are a good buy for there points, there are a few frigates that are better and some that are a lot worse.

Now the rest of the fleet

Kanumi=  I am kinda torn on this ship, it seems to be okay for its points, but I will need some more play with it.

BB= This is one of the biggest problems with the fleet for me.  This ship just seems really bad to me for its points.   I feel like I need to take the dread every game instead of trying to include this, which is hard because of the points.

Sinops=  This ship and the dread are what got me playing Ottomans originally, and I just feel it is way below par for 100 pts each.  Part of the problem may be the fettah is just so good, it makes including this tough.   I know when I see other fleets ships in this spot, I just wish it was a little less or had like two more ad for each broadside or two more bombards.   Just seems to pale in comparison to Fresnals, and Toulains and such.   It could use some more AA, and CC.

Avci= This ship is in a weird spot also, for 160 pts you can get 21 dice @ range band 1, and 18 @ range band 2,  does seem really nice.  Untill I have some one with good frigates get in close and for 100 pts  do 18 dice, which is what happened to me on Sunday.     So I am withholding judgement on this ship for now.

The last thing I did not like at all, was the reduction of movement on our TIny Bombers and Torpedo Bombers.  This was our big trick with these units and that 2 inches of movement, I have really missed.

I keep hearing we are getting a fleet carrier, I just wish they would allow the Hisar to be part of a normal naval fleet, until then.

Just my two cents.

Just my two cents.

The fleet under its new rules has two distinct playstyles, and the models fall into those categories accordingly.

The more aggressive traditionalists, with their sharpshooters and aggressive crews, favour the skimmers (the GNE on the battleships, for example), and a 'throw everything forward and board people's stuff' mentality.

The Separatists, with special defenses and stoic crews, favour the Hisar and Sinops with mines and spotters and general 'keep them at arm's length' philosophy.

Try playing one of these and then see how they do :)

I got it, I used the Gne the last game I played, but the whole feel of I should only be using half of my available fleet, determined by which internal  faction just seems wrong own so many levels.   I will also admit, I am not a fan of the mines at all right now in the game. 

Have never had any real luck with them since 1.1, and we all know they where just silly then.

The Seperatists are especially fond of Zuhaf minelayers since these guys are also spotters for your bombards. The fact that you can move linked mines means these things are a real threat to any vessel on the board.

I found that keeping your Zuhafs back and spotting until the enemy gets closer works very well (at least in turn 1).

Don't try to close in with the enemy too soon, since it is very likely that they will be the only thing that your opponent can see and fire at. If they are in RB3, they will be more likely to get destroyed by a lucky shot.

In turn 2 (or 3 if your opponent is a close up brawler) you close in and drop your first set of mines which you then move with your generators. In turn 3 you drop those mines right in front of a squadron so they can't avoid them. I hammered a squadron of Sui heavy destroyers with this method, taking them out with follow up fire from frigates.

I also have the DN-Box.

My first idea was to ally them to my Blazing Sun to cover my fleet.

Since the update a lot of people saying the Ottomans are good enough to be played by their own.

But when I look at for example to the fettah cruisers and compare them to nankatsus, Marseille, Pluto or Uhlan... I think there is a significant gap of firepower, isn't it?

There is, but with all redoubtable weapons theyre still swinging right down to the last hp and each ship has four guns meaning lots of choice and rerolling is always fun. Plus under a storm with a cloud on they're 6s to hit with the shooter needing 3 sixes. Pretty long odds. The raised DR has made them more survivable.

Hm... Other ships have tertiar weapons so redoubtable isn't that point, isn't it?

Four guns? Where? Or I miss a think?! :-)

The point of the clouds/storm is absolutely right!

Is it possible to build a fleet only with Kanunis, Sinops and Avcis???

Hm... Other ships have tertiar weapons so redoubtable isn't that point, isn't it?

Four guns? Where? Or I miss a think?! :-)

The point of the clouds/storm is absolutely right!

Is it possible to build a fleet only with Kanunis, Sinops and Avcis???

Yes, include a Hisar and some minelayers and build your philosophy around fortifying a corner of the table and bombarding acid.

Having cheap spotters enables you to negate the effects of storm gens, while keeping yourself protected, and ally in things like time orbs and nemesis cruisers to provide dilation templates for bonus security.

What I expected...

Runing BW as a striking ally-hammer seems more and more beeing a false Impression...

But Ottomans... Is the Hisar really a good model? I mean... 1 real weapon... If you compare this to a BB it is not that much right?!