pancakeonions

Official Thread: Ottoman Empire

Well I decided to borrowed Ottoman fleet and tried them against CoA.

I fielded 1000p Ottoman Tradicionalists:

Sadrazam

3x Fettah

2x Sinop + 2x upgraded SAS

4x Avci

4x Mizrak

4x Zuhaf (in Advance deployment)

Opponent fielded

Diophantus + 2x Galen

Pericles

Hippasus

3x Cruiser (I don´t remeber the name)

4x Diogenes (in Advance deployment)

We played on 4x4 table with 4 islands. I won the operational advantage and so I have advantage in the deployment. I deployed all my forces behind an island in the left half of table in front of the Diophantus and Pericles. Opponent stretched his forces along his line and almost all his ships started facing my fleet with their broadsides.

My plan was from start (even before deployment) to board the Diophantus with Fettahs. I want to soften it first and then board it. Luckily I was able to choose my objective so I choose to kill the commodore and 50% of his fleet. My opponent was also able to choose his objective but unwisely choose to kill all small. That turned out to be a problem as he was unable to kill my Zuhafs.

In the first turn I hide with my Fettahs, Avcis and Sadrazam behind an island. Sinops harassed his Hippasus and score a 3 HP loss and 3 fusion leaks (2 of them he repaired) and I also lost one of my Mizraks to some torpedo fire from Pericles or Diophantus. Opponent was unable to score a hit due to the clouds and storms and I even didn´t try to shoot much.

In second round I rushed forward with Zuhafs and place one megadeath linked mine in front of the Diophantus and shoot down some SAS. Sinops take 1 more hull point from the Hippasus (my opponent was truly master of shields, luckily he was not master of ordnance and tactics)  Diophantus hit the mine but it score only 1 HP loss (12 successes). Unable to use its particle it tried to harass the Mizraks but missed. Mizraks then  attacked squadron of Diogenes frigates and killed them all with a great deal of luck. Fetahs rushed forward but were unable to harm the Diophantus because opponent succeeded his roll for swift manoeuvres. Same went with the Avcis that managed to score 1 HP damage. Opponent score pair of crits on my Fettahs and damage on Sadrazam. But that was all.

Third round was crucial. I needed to win the initiative to spread my Fetthas and Avcis before the Particle accelerator strike came in, as the Avcis were hiding behind the Fettahs (which was kind of stupid from me) Luckily I won the initiave roll and in first activation Fettahs boarded the Diophantus and prized it. Opponnent was unlucky with his AA fire but I compensated it by forgetting the Sharshooter MAR. Rest of the turn was a massacre. Sinnops finished Hippasus (finally) and Avcis damaged Pericles which was then successfully boarded by Sadrazam.  He didn´t do any more damage to my ships except two more crits on Fettahs but none of them went down. So Ottomans won with loss of only one Mizrak.

I must say that Fettahs are quite fast and will be even faster with the GNE generator and they are quite manoeuvrable and boardy. Avcis are beasts and true damage dealer and Sadrazam works quite well as support ship boosting and  protecting rest of the fleet. My Sinops were quite lame but mostly because of the dice rolls.

I have good feeling about the new Ottomans, and I really wish that they receive a Aerial box.

I am happy to see an ottoman victory and a good report of the sadrazam. Even if it is against the noble coa.

That said, that coa list is a bit... Lacklustre. A very low firepower nearly-dread, an expensive and fairly toothless fleet carrier, a support cruiser with nothing to take advantage of its support. The only way this lost would work is with a lot of luck with drones and the particle accelerator of the diophantus doing a lot of leg work.

So yay ottomans, but case not entirely proven yet :P let's see how they go against a force with some actual firepower (I hope they can! It would be good to see some ottoman models back on the table, they are quite pretty.)

Well that CoA build had tons of SAS and do not underestimate cleomedes cruisers Faster Torpedoes and turets to RB 4 are quite nice actually But yes I can imagine a lot worse CoA builds as well as Ottoman builds

Hi Folks

Yesterday I played with the new (Traditionalist) Ottoman fleet, a battle report will be posted in due course in the appropriate section. I thought I'd briefly post my reflections (as I did earlier in this thread with the previous version of this fleet ORBAT):

Overall I think the revised Ottoman fleet is strong, I didn't really feel there was a weak link, and if you can line it up right, there is huge potential to use broadsides with sustained fire to great effect, meaning the fleet is strong both at long and short range.

Initially I felt the weather manipulation generator was still too limited, by comparison with say the cloud generator, as it means the Ottoman player has a lot of activation pressure if they want to protect their ships, and this can come at the expense of long range shooting. However, after playing with it I've changed my view. While this is a problem in turn 1, it is much less of a problem in turn 2, and the ability of the generator to activate a storm effect rather than a cloud effect once the enemy has closed to RB 1 gives the fleet much more utility, including denying the enemy a critical inch of movement if they are trying a boarding rush. So, ultimately I feel the strengths of the generator far outweigh the drawbacks. It is also pretty sweet to force an enemy to shoot through both a storm and cloud effect if they wish to target your capital models at long range!

As it stands the Ottoman fleet is missing some tools to be fully versatile. Although the Traditionalist build does favour an aggressive approach, the fleet lacks a significant boarding threat which really undermines this approach if you are playing fleets who can optimise their forces (any of the core nations and a fair number of alliance nations). There are no small corvette style models to strip AP from an enemy Dread or overwhelm a battlecruiser, and there is no major threat (for most factions a medium flyer with 5 AP) which can target and capture an enemy flagship with some level of confidence.

Obviously one way to address this would be to add a new box with some flying options (I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would love to see what the Spartan designers could produce in terms of flying palaces!) and here you could even have a small balloon style corvette (rather than the usual interceptor class).

The other option, if the Ottomans are still a ways off getting new models, would be to take the Traditionalist build styles one step further. For example:
- a traditionalist Mizrak frigate for example might not be fitted with the volley gun but instead have 2 AP and Terror Tactics (1), or 3 AP and advanced engines +2".
- a traditionalist Fettah cruiser might have 5 AP and no volley gun, and perhaps one model (a Mk 2) could swap out the weather generator for a GNE generator?

That way the Traditionalist fleet could genuinely present an option for aggressive boarding, while the Separatists are a lot more about table dominance. As I didn't play the Separatists I don't yet have a lot of comments on that style of play, but it does seem like there should be at least one more option for a mine layer in the fleet to make that a fully viable play style (perhaps the Mk 3 Fettah can also drop mines :)?)​

Hi,

I know that this is a little off topic but can you please report your battles to the Dystopian Wars Online Campaign?

Right know there is event going on, called Battle for Malta and its up to players to

decide (by reported battles) if Malta will stay in British hands or if it will be captured

by Imperial Bond.

For more information please visit: http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/16832-dystopian-wars-open-online-campaign/page-2

If you want to report battle plese use: http://ohmcz.eu/dw/reportc.php

Thank you

If I have tim during the week I will post battle reports from a tournament we played at the local den of nerdiness. I played the separatist ottomans and relied heavily on my possessed-by-the-archdevil-bombards (4 sinops and a hisar). Somehow always when firing them I managed to roll three sixes on almost every bombard shot I fired. :D

Hi, I'm considering  starting an ottoman fleet. I find the models to be among SG's most gorgeous.

One thing I can't figure out is why everyone here seems so fond of the Avci. I mean compared to most destroyers a 21/18/-/- volley for 160 pts doesn't seem that impressive. Is it because it's the unit in the Orbat that can link to the highest dice? Or am I missing something?

Hi, I'm considering starting an ottoman fleet. I find the models to be among SG's most gorgeous.

One thing I can't figure out is why everyone here seems so fond of the Avci. I mean compared to most destroyers a 21/18/-/- volley for 160 pts doesn't seem that impressive. Is it because it's the unit in the Orbat that can link to the highest dice? Or am I missing something?

It's a model that can take on multiple roles, unlike most destroyers, due to being equipped with Volley Guns.

I know that it can target fliers in RB1, but most of the fleet is already anti-fliers, with volley guns. Also as a two HP small it's rare that it gets only one damage point and isn't just sunk outright so the redoutable isn't something I'm likely to benefit very often.

Generally I find that one of the bigger problems with ottomans is that they use volley guns. If they had secondary turrets instead they'd be able to link with broadsides for evil amounts of dice. Personally I'd take that over redoubtable and high angle

Is there something about the volley gun I'm mising?

I like them because there are a lot of bombers, Tunguskas etc. flying around here in Prague. They usually sit back and wait for the right moment and I find them to be very usefull at striking key enemy assets when needed. Compared to other nations they probably aren´t that special. But in your Ottoman army they are the most accessable high grade firepower you can get. They probably are strong enough to crit a dread-bot

I can see the argument, it's just that for 20 pts more you get a unit of Fettah's with generators.

I'm gonna play taditionalists, so I think I'm gonna focus on a couple og Sad's with GNE genrators and then a load of cruisers to get in close and personal.

I can see the argument, it's just that for 20 pts more you get a unit of Fettah's with generators.

I'm gonna play taditionalists, so I think I'm gonna focus on a couple og Sad's with GNE genrators and then a load of cruisers to get in close and personal.

Good plan! That's what the trads are built for, the speedy super-strike :D

I think so with the recent ORBAT update. Others will say still no, but closer. They may be right, but if so, it is much much closer, and with more models coming according to thenDpartan scuttlebut.

The Fettah cruiser is now just excellent. The battleship is a slightly odd duck.....more of a support BB design to my mind. The decision to play Traditionalist or Separatist means something for your tactics.

You will get your broadsides. The Chinese Jian BB is really the only other vessel that comes to mind with that huge ship of the line, age of sail broadside feel.

I think so with the recent ORBAT update. Others will say still no, but closer. They may be right, but if so, it is much much closer, and with more models coming according to thenDpartan scuttlebut.

The Fettah cruiser is now just excellent. The battleship is a slightly odd duck.....more of a support BB design to my mind. The decision to play Traditionalist or Separatist means something for your tactics.

You will get your broadsides. The Chinese Jian BB is really the only other vessel that comes to mind with that huge ship of the line, age of sail broadside feel.

As far as I can tell, the Traditionalists favour the cruiser, battleship, mizrak 'sprint up and slap 'em' strategy and the separatists seem to favour the dread, hisar, sinops and destroyers 'stay back and pound them from afar' strategy.

Not had a chance to play them yet because my Aussies were due a go.

Haven't recieved mine yet, so I can't say how competitive they are, but I've stayed away from them till this update and now I believe they can hold their own. They seem to have a lot of neat tricks. One thing to keep in mind is that your mine controller generators can move the opponents mines too! I'm really looking forward to ruining my CoA opponents day with this.