MythicKhan

Ship Naming And Colour Scheme

Nice idea to base them on the 1905 Russian fleet, hope you have better luck? Not so sure about mixing Tsarist and Soviet motifs, but that's up to you. I must admit that my choice will be to use a white star as in white Russia, but until I get hold of the model(s) nothing is set. As I am sure you are aware the Russian ensign used (and have reverted back to using I believe) is a reverse 'cross of St. Andrew', white background with a blue diagonal cross. Some inspiration could be drawn from this perhaps? And of course there is the fine Russian flag from Dystopian Wars, and of course the Russian flag itself. They also use a 'Jack' flag which is harder to describe so here's an image:

http://ru-jack.gif

Apparently the Russians also use this on naval fortifications?

I'am not that good with flags, but by brief look into the Internet it looks so. Jack was used on сoastal fortifications as ensign until 1913, when was decided on the new special fortress flag which was the same jack, but with imperial eagle in the middle.(as you can see in the picture) Also jack was used at sea until 1820. If anyone interested, i can provide a link for the list of naval Russian Empire flags,but on Russian(actually, there is one on wikipedia, but no translation and not the most complete one as I can see)

navfort.gif

Is there any restriction In using such stuff? (I mean take the Russian flag from Spartan Games site, cut out the bear and place it in some othere image. I've honestly read forum rules, but don't remember). If there is no such restrictions, it can be easiliy done with some graphic editor.

Is there any restriction In using such stuff? (I mean take the Russian flag from Spartan Games site, cut out the bear and place it in some othere image. I've honestly read forum rules, but don't remember). If there is no such restrictions, it can be easiliy done with some graphic editor.

I do not think so, as long as its for non commercial use. If you are able I would love to see it, as this is beyond my skills. :)

It's a bit crude, but will give the genreal impression. If required, I wil make it cleaner and can go with only bear, without this white round, but not today, some stuff to be done which makes impossible for me to spend my whole time in the graph editor. All credits for this image goes for the Spartan Games who provided us with this bear and Russian Imperial navy for the jack, image for non-commercial use only. (just to be safe :) )

post-60-0-81862300-1334166915_thumb.jpg

Considering scale this will do, though it is really crude, it has some wrong-coloured pixels on the edges of hmm don't know how all this leaves around the white round where bear is called (even in Russian). But thanks for the feedback :) I will make it clean, but not today (for myself, because I am not pleased with current one :P )

Oh. Seems I knowed this one, just was confused by the fact that wreath is not on top of someone's head (so most of the time laurel wreath imagened by me from different angle). Heraldry is really weak spot of mine, so thanks for cleaning this up for me! Off topic mode off, will try to make clean version during the weekend, or if I can even on friday.

Hi everyone, me again! :P

Just wondered if other people had had any ideas on how they are going to paint or name their Russian fleets?

I've been tempted away by historical paint schemes, with a slight twist, and I am now plotting a dark green (as opposed to black) hull with yellow stripe, followed by a white turret and superstructure scheme (and various metallics for the pipes and weapon barrels). What do people think?

Hi everyone, me again! :P

Just wondered if other people had had any ideas on how they are going to paint or name their Russian fleets?

I've been tempted away by historical paint schemes, with a slight twist, and I am now plotting a dark green (as opposed to black) hull with yellow stripe, followed by a white turret and superstructure scheme (and various metallics for the pipes and weapon barrels). What do people think?

Either red/black splinter pattern, in the style of my Black Wolf, or white. I'm leaning towards white. I think the round frigates in particular would look quite nice in a clean white scheme, and I have a feeling that it will be an unusual choice, as most people will go with a darker palette.

I haven't given much thought to naming yet, I almost always do that once the model is painted and done.

For me, when i thinking about russian ships of this era i always imagening cruser "Varyag"- famous ship of Russian-Japan war. And his color shame was http://www.warships.ru/kr/MK19/varyag.jpg in 1899 http://alternathistory.org.ua/podvig-varyaga-chast-2-boi-u-chemulpo-sravnenie in 1901 and http://www.abitura.com/not_only/hystorical_physics/cruiser_varyag.html in 1904 ( my favorite).

I'm thinking along the lines of Off-white as the primary colour. Possibly with green below the waterline, as per the 1901 scheme - I just need to find a suitably vile green :)

Sorry for the delay, as I promised here comes the cleaner edition of jack and bear-only version. Same as previos - non-commercial use only, all credits for the Russian Flag from DW goes for Spartan Games and for the jack to Russian Navy. :)post-60-0-49035900-1334563501_thumb.jpg post-60-0-92186500-1334563500_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Though I most likely will go after black-yellow-white flag for myself :) Oh, and up to the paint discussion here I have some doubts for my fleet. I consider two main paint options - black with gold and white, or white with red. I think I will made up my mind when models will be released and it will be possible to see them "in person".