Sign in to follow this  
Pendrake

Tank Traps

Extra Large Tank traps  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just looking at the art on the Russian Coalition booklet cover and was imagining what would happen if a farm house got in the way of that  RC land dreadnought...

What sort of constructions would be necessary to stop:

• Land Ships
  • Medium Vehicles
  • Small (two per token) Tanks ???

If you were inclined to think it is possible, what is a good way to represent items like tank traps? What would a city hastily build around its perimeter to stop Land Ships from crushing swaths of houses and shops?

Looking for modeling ideas here as much as anything.

Ditches would be extremely effective against PE land ships and mediums.

Dragon's teeth of sufficient height and bulk will stop any wheeled or tracked vehicle. Even if they make it over the first rank, they are nearly guaranteed to hang-up in the gap.

I suggest three grades of traps, small, medium and large as impassible terrain. Each would be effective against their equivalent size class or smaller.

Each would be effective against their equivalent size class or smaller.

Actually, I would think that they wouldn't work on smaller tanks, For example a small ironclad could pass between the "teeth" laid out for landships, which would be bigger but also more spaced apart. Unless you consider that they will also contain the smaller sized traps.

On the other side it would be quite interesting to have the traps only work on a single size class as it would mean that the battlefield could be cut up into different zones where only certain units could get to fast enough, thus adding depth and more strategy to the game.

Actually, I would think that they wouldn't work on smaller tanks, For example a small ironclad could pass between the "teeth" laid out for landships, which would be bigger but also more spaced apart. Unless you consider that they will also contain the smaller sized traps.

On the other side it would be quite interesting to have the traps only work on a single size class as it would mean that the battlefield could be cut up into different zones where only certain units could get to fast enough, thus adding depth and more strategy to the game.

The larger sized obstacles might actually serve as cover for smaller units.

A selection of solid enough blocks would stop tanks.  Small and medium ones could be easily made from sections of polystyrene modelling  rod.

For a land-ship, I'd either go with ditches, or flood the valley and create a swamp that the landship would simply sink into it...

... I suggest three grades of traps, small, medium and large as impassible terrain. Each would be effective against their equivalent size class or smaller.

Sturginium Powered Tank Traps can stop ANYTHING!!

Shame on me, not thinking to put that in the original poll :P

The other two comments are giving me an idea...

**[ goes to boot up CAD software ]**

Edit: Done playing with CAD software B)results here.

Interesting idea, but to work the tank traps to stop a Land Ship would have to be massive and would require a lot of effort to build making them permanent fixtures and turn them into a sort of Maginot Line that can be gone around?  Also their size will cause problems with line of sight?  Remember they will be taller than large trees for this. 

I think mines are a better detterrent, less obvious and more likely to cause damage.  A Land Ship that has 'thrown' a track will be useless really and vulnerable to attack I imagine?

Interesting idea, but to work the tank traps to stop a Land Ship would have to be massive and would require a lot of effort to build making them permanent fixtures and turn them into a sort of Maginot Line that can be gone around?  Also their size will cause problems with line of sight?  Remember they will be taller than large trees for this. 

I think mines are a better detterrent, less obvious and more likely to cause damage.  A Land Ship that has 'thrown' a track will be useless really and vulnerable to attack I imagine?

I was sort of thinking, "...what would London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, et.al. do about living in a world where things such as Land Ships existed?"

A dragon's tooth intended to hang up a Land Ship would be as big as a small house, would give a small or medium tank LOS blocking cover to hide behind (not a problem if you are in the medium tank; more of a benefit <_< ) and it would require significant resources to build. 

But would major cities risk being vulnerable to Land Ship incursions?

Mines: I would not be opposed to controlled minefields and big mines that could scratch a Land Ship, but I don't think a 5AD mine is up to snuff for the job...

Nobody has talked about stopping walkers at all... ...I dunno if the barrier I drew would stop a Japanese Walker. It is in the fluff that the Japanese build walkers in order to negotiate rugged jungle terrain but does that really confer any advantage under the rules when a walker enters terrain? ...maybe it should?

Dragons Teeth have to be higher than the vehicle's lowest point of clearance and not permit the wheels or tracks enough purchase to climb them.

The Landship may be 80 feet high, but if the hull is only 6 feet off the ground, an 8 foot obstacle would effectively block it if the tracks or wheels have nothing to climb over it with.

Obstacles might provide cover for much smaller vehicles, but only if the variation in clearance was quite large.

With the "hard shadow" modeled onto essetially all land units, it is hard to estimate actual clearance, but I think that it is safe to say that almost every design is going to have the deepest possible hull.

You only crush the tank trap if you can get on top of it. You need the wheel/track/etc height and hull clearance to get on top of it.

Not necessarily true. I don't think you are fulling grasping the scale of DW. Typically you could only crush a trap by getting on top of it as you need the enormous weight of the vehicle to provide enough force. However, we are talking about heavily armored vehicles the size of large buildings moving at combat speeds. Its really likely the force/torque the engines need to produce to move these vehicles exceeds the force required to crush concrete.

An AT ditch would likely be most effective, as huge vehicles would likely cause significant damage to themselves when the vehicle reached the tipping point and fell into the ditch. Good thing the brits have that bridging vehicle huh? :D

For stopping walkers, what about taking a page from Star Wars? Giant trip wires suspended between towers? Another idea would be something similar to a snare trap. Large cable "hoops" that, when stepped in by a walker, are quickly pulled by some sturginium-powered device similar to an aircraft carrier catapult? Basically yank 1-2 legs out from under them.

For stopping walkers, what about taking a page from Star Wars? Giant trip wires suspended between towers? Another idea would be something similar to a snare trap. Large cable "hoops" that, when stepped in by a walker, are quickly pulled by some sturginium-powered device similar to an aircraft carrier catapult? Basically yank 1-2 legs out from under them.

Probably would only work on bipedal small robots, the others would probably be way to heavy to destabilize (I'm mostly thinking about the EoBS walkers here) though the idea seems pretty sound.