Sign in to follow this  
sleeping_squirrel

Launching Aeroplanes

I've read through the aeroplane rules a few times now...

"A Unit may launch one Squadron of Aeroplanes a turn." seems to be the relevent rule. Looks like you can launch at any point, regardless of damage, if you fire or anything else, except having some aeroplanes aboard to launch...

AC aeroplane rules are slightly different to DW aeroplane rules.

most are the same, but from what i've read, squadron sizes are set at 1-3 tokens per wing (with the option to attach a recon wing to an existing wing, during the wings' Command phase, making for a possible 6-strong wing) and no local air support

launching is still done in the Command phase, but you still get to use all your Carrier's weapons (treat all Carriers as if they had the DW MAR "Combat Launch")

landing is automatic. as soon as a wing of bombers does a bombing run (or you want to re-assign your aircraft type) the wing "returns to base" (remove the tokens, and raise the capacity-indicator dice on one of your Carriers by the appropriate amount)

AC aeroplane rules are slightly different to DW aeroplane rules.

most are the same, but from what i've read, squadron sizes are set at 1-3 tokens per wing (with the option to attach a recon wing to an existing wing, during the wings' Command phase, making for a possible 6-strong wing) and no local air support

launching is still done in the Command phase, but you still get to use all your Carrier's weapons (treat all Carriers as if they had the DW MAR "Combat Launch")

landing is automatic. as soon as a wing of bombers does a bombing run (or you want to re-assign your aircraft type) the wing "returns to base" (remove the tokens, and raise the capacity-indicator dice on one of your Carriers by the appropriate amount)

The Recon Squadrons don't attach to other Squadrons, they attach to other Formations only.  This lets you give a Formation that has no spotters the Recon Squadron.  Normally the Air Support Formations have no bombardment units, but still they have Recon Squadrons.  The reason is that they can lend them out.  The Recon Squadron would then activate when that Formation activates.  They won't get two activations in one turn though. 

There is no possibility for a six unit Squadron.

Not far off having my first go at AC - but a bit confused at the Aeroplane rules (mainly because I have got so use to the DW rules now :-))

Some help please!

1. I take it that Aeroplanes can be launched at any point in their carrier's activation - regardless of whether the carrier has moved and/or fired?

2. When they are launched where are they placed?  Within 2" of their carrier/airfield as per disembarking units?

3. I assume that the launched aircraft cannot be activated during the turn they are launched?

Many thanks

Andy

Not far off having my first go at AC - but a bit confused at the Aeroplane rules (mainly because I have got so use to the DW rules now :-))

Some help please!

1. I take it that Aeroplanes can be launched at any point in their carrier's activation - regardless of whether the carrier has moved and/or fired?

2. When they are launched where are they placed?  Within 2" of their carrier/airfield as per disembarking units?

3. I assume that the launched aircraft cannot be activated during the turn they are launched?

Many thanks

Andy

1. As the rules do not state otherwise I believe you are correct.

2. Currently the rules do not specify.  They are not "disembarking" as infantry or other ground units.  I would place the Aeroplane Squadron (Battalion) next to the Carrier's base when launched which could be either before or after the Movement Segment of the Carrier's activation.

3. They can.  Page 44, paragraph 1, sentence 2:  "Aeroplane Squadrons may activate on the same turn that they are launched."

Many thanks Quarterstaff - I had a response from Chris Worth in the end:

Hii Andy,

Yes. A Carrier can launch aeroplanes at any point during its activation.

2. When they are launched where are they placed? Within 2" of their carrier/airfield as per disembarking units?

When a Aeroplane Token is placed on the Game Board it must be within 2” of its parent Carrier.

An Aeroplane Squadron can activate in the same turn that it is launched.

Thanks for your feedback, these points will be clarified next time we update the pdf.

Kind Regards

Chris Worth

I have used the Brunel mobile airfield in two different games so far and on both occasions the aircraft tokens have been used differently.

In the first game, the aircraft were launched as between one and three tokens per wing, e.g. in the first turn, a single token wing was launched as spotter aircraft, then in the second turn, a two token wing was launched as fighters for CAP. In the third turn, the last three tokens were launched as a bomber wing. Then whilst the Fighter wing and spotter wing stayed out and flew around, the bomber wing flew out and performed a bombing attack and returned to the carrier to be relaunched next turn. 

But in the second game, all aircraft launched as a wing of three aircraft, whether spotter, fighter or bomber wings.

Now I think the aircraft were used correctly in the first game in that you could launch 1-3 tokens as a single wing. It was your choice how many tokens were in a wing!

What do others think?

Further I am starting a Covenant force and am unsure how drones work, can anyone help me?

Drone work in exactly the same way as all other aeroplanes in regards to launching landing and activating.

The only Differance Drones have relates to the Drone MAR found on the unit stat sheet which related to unit quality and the need for command points to be spent on actions if all drone controlers have been destroyed.