Sign in to follow this  
sleeping_squirrel

Flying High And...

from what i've read (and i'm not 100% sure either)

if you're flying high

• you can freely target other flyers that are also "flying high"
  • you can target (and therefore bomb) flyers in the "flying" level with a -1 modifyer (not sure if this is 5+ to hit, or drop a colour-band)
  • you can't target ground units (unless you have "strafe" on the weapon)

When flying high, is it possible to make a spotting check?
I don't see anything that forbids it. Flying High only influences Ranged Attacks, Boarding Attempts and Command Abilities, a Spotting Attempt isn't one of those.

When flying high, is it possible to make a bombing run?

Bomb attacks are Ranged Attacks, they are still restricted by Flying High. So you can make a bombing run... but only against flying stuff.

you can't target ground units (unless you have "strafe" on the weapon)

Not even. Strafe only allows you to bypass the "Can't fire on Ground in RB1" rule.

What has happened to the ubiquitous Obscured Cloud Deck that exists in D-Wars? Do concentrated Land Forces cause it to disperse? Is it (along with fixed channel astern bombing) ultimately going away in a future version of D-Wars?

(n.b: "flying high" is some old Warmallet Fantasy terminology... )

Obscured allowed ranged attacks to and from but with a hit modifier.  Flying High allows for no ranged attacks.  The entire game of Armoured Clash is an attempt to speed things up and I like it so far.  Things are either dead or they aren't.  Guns can either shoot or they can't.  No more partial obstructions with hit modifiers.  Simple.  Quick.

did i get this right?  flyers that are flying high do not have to roll an extra success because spotting is not a command ability check?  (that will be so cheesy, i like it..)

there came another question up, when i was using bombers:

as the bombing run is made during the movement step, would it be possible to move, bomb and then escape to "flying high" (which i have to decide after moving)?

the Strafe MAR states, that i get a -1 to hit other flyers, is this a.) where ever they are, or just those in RB1? and b.) will this affect ranged attacks from flying high to normal altitude (as the target is actualy below the flyer with strafe)?

to be eligible for a bombing run, do i have to overfly the target, or can i clip it at one corner as long as i end up with the stern base-to-base towards the target?

thanks

There is a +1 to the spotting chance for target over 18" range. Does this mean that a spotter "Flying High" is automatically over 18" no matter whatever the real range and thus has this +1?

Flying High is decided BEFORE movement, not after - the MAR swift ascent covers the 'attack and go to flying high option'. So unless you have the MAR, you can't bomb/mine from a flyer 'flying high'

As far as the spotting issue, nothing has been noted, I think. I would allow it but automatically count the spotter as 'over 18"' even when not, so a spotter within 18" flying high would need 3 successes, non spotter 4 successes and if over 18" away 5 successes (4 if a spotter). The bonus for massive target would then be due to the fact that the target is BIG, and only removed once.

as the bombing run is made during the movement step, would it be possible to move, bomb and then escape to "flying high" (which i have to decide after moving)?

the AC rules stat the following on page 28:

Flyers make move actions in the same way as all other kinds of Unit,

with a few exceptions. Firstly, Flying Units can move freely over other

Units or pieces of Terrain without hindrance. Secondly, any Flying Unit

may Fly High after it has carried out all other movement actions.

so i guess i answered my own question, even if its pure RAW.

let me rephrase me question to: how do you handle this, in a more RAI way? 

As far as the spotting issue, nothing has been noted, I think. I would allow it but automatically count the spotter as 'over 18"' even when not, so a spotter within 18" flying high would need 3 successes, non spotter 4 successes and if over 18" away 5 successes (4 if a spotter). The bonus for massive target would then be due to the fact that the target is BIG, and only removed once.

wouldn't it be easier to make that malus for command ability checks from flying high (page 29) counting for this kind of spotting (at least it is a command check).

the AC rules stat the following on page 28:

Flyers make move actions in the same way as all other kinds of Unit,

with a few exceptions. Firstly, Flying Units can move freely over other

Units or pieces of Terrain without hindrance. Secondly, any Flying Unit

may Fly High after it has carried out all other movement actions.

I have to agree here, but I still say you have to state it before the bombing run, that you will be Flying high at the end of the movement.

For the spotting rule, I think it's cumulative, being out of Command distance and out of Range.

So +1 needed for spotting and double Command points needed to boost!

It is a fact, that you're supposed to be damn high up, so visibility can be obscured, making it harder to spot!

The other related issue here is mines.

Reading the rules it seems that a flyer can lay mines while flying high - since it is not targeting another unit.

Also there would be no "-" since when the mine is activated it would not be flying high, but at ground level.

Is there anything to stop mines being laid (presumably on some sort of parachute) when flying high?

my KoB flyers have their mines as a WAR for the bomb-weapon. so i would use them like i do bombs. the one thing that could be the parachute-mine killer is that you are targeting a patch of ground. but i found nothing more about this in the rules so far. 

but with those flyers that have the mines in their bomb bay's, it should be possible, as you move at normal height, bomb/mine and then fly high.

another point (from another divebomber victim)

i would strongly vote for airial mines should the topic come up somewhen, that would be really helpfull. and i would even pay for them.

another point (from another divebomber victim)

i would strongly vote for airial mines should the topic come up somewhen, that would be really helpfull. and i would even pay for them.

I can understand this request but I will not support it.

Because it would change the game balance.

Now the only option for someone needing to get close to the enemy and not getting blasted to bits by Artillery, is to send waves of Bombers ahead.

If you change this option, how else can someone with close range weapons, defend itself against long range?

There will always be a difference of opinions in things like this!

That's why i like this game, no Army is undefeatable!

yes, you're right. my request wasn't meant too serious.

but look at the DW osman empire pdf -> airial mines...

if they make it into AC, they bring friend/foe sensible, homing, flyer damaging mines to the fray.

the mechanic with the mines AD changing to ack ack against tokens isnt that strong, but gives the commander a nice alternative.