Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mourganath

Wave 3 Studio Models

Hey guys, you've probably seen by now the preview for the upcomming wave 3 minis for legions, and i'm once again here to show some close ups of the minis i've had the pleasure of working wit as well as a few comments about them.

First up seems to be everyone favourites and have created quite a buzz; The teutonic knigt marshall and teutonic knight heavy.

SAM_0047_zps63221248.jpg

The knight Marshall model comes with an alternative head and shoulders to the standard knights giving it a distinct look. I based the colours for the designs on te classic teutonic knights of old, with a bold white/black alternating pattern. Its probably my imagination but I could swear hes a touch larger than the knights too.

SAM_0044_zps8e511349.jpg

One of my faourites in wave 3 has to be this happy chappy. The overall look of the models is awesome, and was a treat to paint, especially with the excuse to throw some OSL at him. The model itself is simply an arm swap, but I think the difference that one part makes is quite impressive.

More coming soon, let me know if theres anything specific you'd like to see next.

-GG

My son would like to see the Shinobi with the bow please. For me the FSA HMG. thanks

I'm afraid that for some reason unknown to me the Blazing Sun miniatures are painted elsewhere so I have no pictures of them, sorry :(

SAM_0062_zps587821d4.jpg

Heres a pic of the FSA HMG though, this one is more of a challenge to build than the rest due to the power pack and tubes, and the seperate hands connected to the gun, not one for the faint hearted or fumbley fingered but it gives a very nice finished mini. I wasnt too keen on the design at first, but I think it has really grown on me and is now one of my favourites, unfortunatly this did mean I painted it last of the bunch and didint have much time to take photos, which is why this one seems a little fuzzier than the others, sorry about that.

Great job Gary, can't wait to get my hands on one (however it will no way look as good as yours).

Also don't apologize about the Blazing Sun miniatures; my boy doesn't apologize when he wins with them :-)

You'd have to at least wait untill I see wave 4 before you do I'm afraid!

In the mean time heres the other 2 HMG teams;

SAM_0055_zps3827809c.jpg

I always love painting the prussians, something about their uniforms is just very satisfying. The kit is an easy on to build and looks the part.

SAM_0051_zpsa92e371b.jpg

The british uniforms are also fun to paint, as is trying to find ways and means of not painting everything silver on weapons!

Do you make your own washes or do you use premade washes?

Do you paint midtones and then blend in shadows and highlights? If so, do you 2 brush blend or wet blend? Or do you just thin to a glaze like consistency and put down a few (see: thousand) layers?

Oh, and I love you. Can I name my first child GOLEM with a middle name STUDIO?

I just use GW washes, HMG are much better at making such things than I am :)

Most of my work is based around keeping tings as simple as possible, its one of the most important things as a commision painter as I essentially dont get paid for doing unnecessary work, so unless theres a reason to do otherwise I start with solid basecoats, which I guess you'd call the mid tone, shade down and highlight up. blending method depends on whats suitable again, though I rarely use wet blends as they tend to be messy, most common is probably '2 brush blending' though I do it with a single brush, or simple edge highlights. Glaze highlighting requires a very high budget indeed, and tends to only see much use on expensive display level jobs.

We do run painting workshops and even 1 to 1 tutoring if you are intrested in going through eveything in much more detail :)

Only if you name your second child Bilbu.

-GG

Thank you for your time and answers, good sir!

I would def. be interested in the 1 on 1 tutoring, but I doubt that is possible unless you're in San Diego =(

Did you use any blending techniques on the above models, or are they just layered up with thinner layers (like say 3:1)?

Also, do you ever have big white spots pop up after using the new GW washes? It doesn't seem how much I shake my bottle of the new shades, there are always big huge white spots in the recesses where the wash has pooled.

Thank you for your time and answers, good sir!

I would def. be interested in the 1 on 1 tutoring, but I doubt that is possible unless you're in San Diego =(

Did you use any blending techniques on the above models, or are they just layered up with thinner layers (like say 3:1)?

Also, do you ever have big white spots pop up after using the new GW washes? It doesn't seem how much I shake my bottle of the new shades, there are always big huge white spots in the recesses where the wash has pooled.

Ahh, I always seem to assume everyone on here is from the UK for some reason.

Most of the models here use a single simple edge highlight, smooth areas like cloth tend to have a highlight boxed in then diffused into the mid tone with the exception of the knights. Diffusing the colours into each other using something akin to the 2 brush blending method is really important in this kind of painting as it lets what is essentially a simple 1 shade 1 highlight look more like 5 stages.

The knights were a little different, as I bashed them with an airbrush first to catch areas where light would hit them, shade using '2 brush' and oure paint, and a 2 stage edge highlight.

Never had much problem with GW washes, I find the recesses dont absorb all the light like I would sometimes like when I pool them, but to be honest I tend not to pool washes so much these days unless i'm working on something that needs doing quick. It could just be someting to do with the batches your area gets, or the enviroment, or some other such science thing I dont really understand, I've heard good things about army painters washes in the little dropper bottles, but I havnt tried them myself.

The Army Painter washes are amazing - they just don't have a nice flesh tone wash. The Strong Tone is basically devlan mud, but when I'm trying to paint up some super pale ginger-y redheads (Ariadna from Infinity), it doesn't look right. Soft Tone ink is essential a sepia wash. Perhaps mixing the two? Hmm..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.