Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azref

Do I Wash Dystopian Legions Minis Before Painting?

Topic title says it all basically, what would peoples advice be? I know to always wash resin in luke-warm soapy water, however am never sure about metal figures/parts.

Looking at the minis they seem to be shiny in certain areas and rather dull looking in areas with lots of detail, is this left over residue from the casting process? If it is how do i remove it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Generally speaking, metal needs to be primed before painting, so any shininess should not be an issue. Give how fragile some of the models are, I would be wary of washing them. I think once you clean the flash off the pieces, you should be able to prime them and go. I have never had any issue with metal models in the past.

Yes. Wash them. Then: dry them thoroughly.

Pendrake's, quick-I-am-in-a-big-hurry, method:

Grab your favorite kitchen counter top cleaner (409, Fantastik, SpicandSpan, Dettol, etc.)

Douse the mini with it.

Scrub/wipe it a little with an old tooth brush, clean sponge, or even a paper towel.

Rinse the mini.

Preferably by full immersion in water.

Swirl or slosh the mini by hand under the water.

Pull it out and dry thoroughly.

Use a hair dryer if in a serious hurry. The above will yield a pristine, ready to paint, metal mini in about 5-10 minutes. But the most important step is dry thoroughly.

For a treasure trove of advice and discussion on the topic of painting metal miniatures I would recommend the painting sub-forum within the Reaper Miniatures discussion boards. At one time or another everything, including washing them, has been covered there. The discussion board uses the same forum software as this one so it will be very familiar.

Also, on that board if you see this logo:

pcrew64x64.jpg

underneath a poster's Avatar it means: professional miniatures artist. It is likely that anyone who has earned it has literally been paid to paint Reaper miniatures by Reaper.

Personal choice I suppose, however I feel its entirely pointless unless a model has been produced in such a way as to require it, and spartan models simpley are not.

Never washed a metal mini in my life, my personal minis arnt washed, the models you see on the website and boxes arnt washed, even the resin masters I have received have never needed washing.

I have never washed a mini in my life, and I've never had a problem. If you have a good undercoat, you need never worry.

I have heard of there being issues with some of the resins, but IMHO, it's a watse of valuable painting time.

Personal choice I suppose, however I feel [..washing minis..] is entirely pointless unless a model has been produced in such a way as to require it, and spartan models simpley are not.

Never washed a metal mini in my life, my personal minis arnt washed, the models you see on the website and boxes arnt washed, even the resin masters I have received have never needed washing.

This is a cheerful thought: " ...Spartan has advanced the techniques of casting to the point that release agents are never present on the finished product... " That would be a selling point.

If it would not involve divulging trade secrets or proprietary information, more details please. :)

I have never washed a mini in my life, and I've never had a problem. If you have a good undercoat, you need never worry.

I have heard of there being issues with some of the resins, but IMHO, it's a waste of valuable painting time.

I'm am inclined to agree about the time use. Hence the speed wash procedure outlined 3 posts up. Sadly,...

I have had a mini or two where the paint did rub off.  People with many more painted miniatures than I have ever managed to complete blame this [and other problems] on poor preparation [including that initial cleaning].

I cant speak for advancements in production and such as I know nothing about it, all I know is that the only models I have ever had to wash have been large production resins, like vehicles and the likes. I suspect release agent is probably used to some extent and theres likely some amount on the models, however it will only create a surface tension which damages a paint job if its a large flat area with a whole bunch of grease on it and I'm not saying dont wash things, just that alot of the time, you dont have to.

Like I say, I think its a personal choice at the end of the day. As a commision painter one of the challenges is not only knowing what needs to be done to a model, but knowing what doesn't need to be done, so that we can spend more of the important time bringing the overall finish to the best possible standard in the deadline.

For the OP, a classic treatise from the Wash All Miniatures School:

http://thegaminggang.com/2011/05/a-guide-to-painting-miniatures-part-one-preparing-the-figure/ :huh:

I have never actually seen mould release agent, I just kinda assume it is or could be there. The fellow that wrote the article above advises: wash first then remove flash. I usually do it the other way round. (Figuring that oil from the fingers might be as bad or worse than any release agent. But the oiliness of skin will vary by individual - I think my fingers are about average.  :unsure:  )

I take back what I previously said. For the first time ever, I had an issue with releasing agent on the resins that teh Tankettes are made from. I undercoated with Gesso, then left 24hrs, but there were 2 patches where the gesso came off when I gave the tankettes an ink wash over the gesso. The only reason why I can see this happening is due to releasing agents, but it only happened with one of the two tanks.

Annoying, but easily remedied with a quick wash.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.