theIronSoldier

Packing Cases For Dystopian Wars

I've now got 3 of the Battlefoam packing cases and I think they're worth every penny.  Over my 20+ years of gaming, I've used everything from Plano tackle boxes to the off-the-shelf pluck foam trays and the custom-cut trays are the best, most space-efficient thing I've ever used.  Also, if you look at the cost of most any other carrying tray, the pre-loaded Spartan case from Battlefoam is actually a pretty good deal.

I agree.  I have the battlefoam bag with custom cut trays and it is fantastic.  I have kept the costs down by ordering foam over time as I acquire new models instead of buying all at once.

The one issue I have is that if you collect everything for one faction (PE for me) the Spartan bag is now actually too small to carry all of my DW models.  I am thinking of getting a bigger bag that fits the Spartan foams and use the Spartan bag for my smaller Firestorm Armada collection.

Clap!, I'm in much the same situation as you. I have TWO Spartan bags - with a mix of 'as-is', custom, and pluck foam trays. They are bboth full now, and I'm still buying models (Hence I'll need more trays soon, and quite possibly a bigger bag.

I use pistol cases that I bought at walmart for $15.00 they are hardshell plastic with foam linings designed to hold 4 pistols. They hold everything I have so far with room to spare.

I have a soft KR bag that they gave me for free at salute, I wouldn't want to carry anything heavy in it is about all I can say.

You can get battlefoam with pluck foam at 10% rrp fairly easily I recommend that

The thing with KR is that it's not the bag's job to protect the model. The foam is encased in a sturdy card box. The foam is much softer than FIguresInComfort's, which relies on the foam to provide support. 

I have both KR Multicase and Figures In Comfort. 

I really like KR's policy of soft foam in a hard case, but I also like FIC's pick and pluck tray's (a 20 mm foam border around the outside and then the rest of the tray is 5mm square foam) 

2 Figures in Comfort trays: 

Tray 1  Tray 2

Pendrake

I have gone for something similar, but use steel sheet (pre-cut to size) procured from a local sheet metal place which I spray and glue into the bottom of a plastic box, which stack.

For my 'Legions' figures I have returned to foam from KR.

Pendrake

I have gone for something similar, but use steel sheet (pre-cut to size) procured from a local sheet metal place which I spray and glue into the bottom of a plastic box, which stack.

For my 'Legions' figures I have returned to foam from KR.

Pictures? this sounds really interesting

The metal sheet is galvanised steel which I sprayed blue.  You loose about 1cm off each corner due to the rounded corners in the boxes but that is no big deal.

The flight stands have a 3mm x 1mm neodymium magnet in the base before the acrylic pole is inserted.  The magnets work well enough for me.

And look at everyone's fabulous Russian fleets! That's inspirational stuff Von K. I like the storage idea a lot. Do you drill and insert the tiny magnet into the bottom of each ship?

Yes, each ship gets magnets on the bottom. 

Don't use too large a magnet, otherwise you could find the models pulling each other together on the table!   :o 

I use 1mm thick magnets for this.  With the shape of the Russian ships with their rounded barbette where the bridge is I have used a 4mm x 1mm magnet there and 2mm x 1mm elsewhere.  On the Frigates and Destroyers just one 4mm magnet will suffice.  Cruisers get 1 x 4mm and 3 x 2mm.  For larger models you will need more magnets to hold them in place.  Starts to tot up, but for the security of the models it's worth it.  If you magnetise your turrets just ensure all the magnets on the model follow the same polarity, as this strengthens the pull. 

For ships I prefer this to foam, but if you drop the box chances are that the shock will cause them to become unattached from the steel sheet.

Note

If you have a pacemaker fitted this method is probably not for you as neodymium magnets and pacemakers do not mix.

Can't say as I regard them as a 'gourmet' item personally?  :wacko:

Your mobile/credit cards would need direct contact with the sort of size I am referring to, bigger ones maybe but these are not the ones we are using.  You may be surprised to find out that your mobile already contains 'rare earth' metals.

Will be putting a feldherr medium case on order soon, just wondering if people have recomendations on the pluck tray sizes for EotBS? "looks" like i should be able to use a 40mm tray for my few larges and 2x25mm trays for everything else. Am i right in thinking this? 

Will be putting a feldherr medium case on order soon, just wondering if people have recomendations on the pluck tray sizes for EotBS? "looks" like i should be able to use a 40mm tray for my few larges and 2x25mm trays for everything else. Am i right in thinking this? 

How many models do you have on flight stands? and do the stands detach for storage & transport?

How many models do you have on flight stands? and do the stands detach for storage & transport?

Right now just the war gyro and mediums, the flight stands are unattached from the models :)

They also do bad things to credit cards and mobile phones, they'll kill you if you eat them...

Much safer if you eat them one at a time with at least 3 days between bites.

I have a mix of the magnets and cheaper magnetic tape.  The best case for me has been a standard metal tool box - the magnet mounts can stick to the hinged lid and sides. The magnetic tape is less strong and has to be for models on the floor of the case or the inset tray unless you stick more magnet tape to the other surfaces so that it is tape attracted to tape that does the holding.  Be sure to test the tape to tape holding power- with what I use I find that it is strong in preventing slip in one direction and allows slipping at 90 degrees.  I also use the two layer magnetic tape to secure the COA Battleship bridge to the submersible base.

Thanks for listening-

-Craig (DystopianMe)

I went for neodymium magnets and steel sheet for this very reason.  You can buy 'steel paper' which can be easily cut with scissors/knife and to which the magnetic tape sticks to nicely.  But the magnets do not?

I did not like the idea of the magnetic tape raising the height of the ships, as thin as it is, and personally prefer drilling holes for the magnets to cutting out 'troughs' to insert the tape.  I find a drill a more safer option, well most of the time? :lol: