Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hithero

Steam

I'd start off with a white undercoat then dry brush a medium tone grey. After that dry brush a lighter grey tone. To finish, do a highlight of white again - especially if there is too much grey in the steam.

. . . how the heck do you paint the steam on the steam bikes?

Paint steam like you would paint anything else! Look at some pics of steam plumes and stuch to see what you want it to look like, then apply methods you would do anything else with :)

Well :huh: here is a picture of a steam plume:

IMG_7463_b.jpg

One of the biggest setbacks I find people have wheneer i'm teaching is overcomplicating the Issue. So you have the picture of how you want it to look, now you can treat it like anything else you would paint. My biggest peice of advice for this specifically is to not dive into the pitfall of assuming what colour this is; Its not white! So dont use white paint :P

Luckily I don't have any steam bikes ... but maybe the picture will help the OP: hithero.

The real steam looks like it has far more intricate 'texture' than the ++resin-sculpted steam/blob 'flight stand'. I guess I would start by painting it superdark grey. ( If I was ordered not to replace it with cotton... )

Then try to highlight up to nearly white from there. :huh: But I am a mediocre painter, on a good day. I would also look for some kind of paint applicator other than a brush ... some way of putting down a fake texture that would resemble roiling steam.

++I can only judge this by what I have seen in pictures, my first DW model, which I am saving my shekels for, will be the Ke-Ho tank.

Yeah, it's the texture and solidness (new word? :) ) thats getting me, the bike looks more like its crashed into a snowman than gliding on a bed of steam, even the new official photo's look just like that so I've got no chance.  I might try sticking that whte, hairy packing stuff to it or go for a an oily-black look to it, time to try my new GW black wash.

Steam+Engine+Train.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.