Sign in to follow this  
Azref

Epicurus Sky Fortress Or Herodotus Mobile Airfield

I've been playing with my COA force recently and love my Pericles, however it isn't much help to my land army as i am rarely given terrain to mix land and sea forces.

I am tempted by the Herodotus as it have the Particle accelerator on it giving it a punch which is always nice (this is a weapon i favor on my Aristotle BB).

What are other peoples experiences with these units?

I have the same dilema, I'me building a CoA land force and didn't know wich one to take, in the end I got two of both but the way I see it is that the Horodotus is a walking PA with some drones for the first few turns you're not in range wheras the Epicurus is a flying carrier with guns the first few turns that you can't launch, attack, ditch (or LAD as it is known by somme).

I would say the Herodotus. It seems to have decent firepower, but more importantly it is easily the best looking Mobile Airfield out there (IMO of course). Besides, who doesn't like a giant steampunk super-spider?

Both are good, the Sky Fortress is one of the best of its type in the game (quick launch and also can link its drone turret with its broadsides), but the Herodotus looks awesome and has a PA with a ridiculously wide base. Personally speaking in Land games I like to take the Herodotus since I have one and its the only time it ever gets to be used, but the Sky Fortress is a competitive choice as well. This is one time where the decision is between two good things, really there is no bad choice, though if I were playing to win I'd probably take both, haha!

I would say the Herodotus. It seems to have decent firepower, but more importantly it is easily the best looking Mobile Airfield out there (IMO of course). Besides, who doesn't like a giant steampunk super-spider?
coughWildWildWestcough. Right there is a good enough reason to prefer the Epi. :)

The other day I brought two Spiders to a land battle and they performed quite well, those PA managed to seriously mess up some medium tanks and continued to strike the Bombards who were chilling out on the other side of the table (no one is out of range of a PA *insert mad scientist laugh here*) and have yet to test the Epi though I think it would be better as a carrier.

Both are good, the Sky Fortress is one of the best of its type in the game (quick launch and also can link its drone turret with its broadsides), but the Herodotus looks awesome and has a PA with a ridiculously wide base. Personally speaking in Land games I like to take the Herodotus since I have one and its the only time it ever gets to be used, but the Sky Fortress is a competitive choice as well. This is one time where the decision is between two good things, really there is no bad choice, though if I were playing to win I'd probably take both, haha!

I agree. Both are good units. That said:

The Herodotus is more situationally good.

The Epicurus is almost always good.

Between the two my personal preference is the Sky Fortress.

(quick launch and also can link its drone turret with its broadsides)

Unfortunately, it can't anymore. According to new Epicurus stat card, it says : "The Launch Turret CANNOT use Linked Fire." (and cannot fire in the same turn it launches drones). I found it on the stat card of the one I bought some weeks ago.

But I can't see it on the Download section, so if someone know where it is... I fear some units has changed like Epicurus but noone heard about.

coughWildWildWestcough. Right there is a good enough reason to prefer the Epi. :)

I hate you ! Remind us this movie is a crime ! I will not be able to play an Herodotus now ! x)

It ain't official until it's in the download section OR you have the card in hand. Seeing as the change is pretty...*ahem* of questionable rationality, I will not be using it in non-tournament enviroment. Seriously, like CoA air needed more nerfing..

by the same token, Zeno card I saw has "+5 for Inventive Scientis" on it, per ship. I assume it's another sneak change, but much like the Epi, it's so mind-bogglingly dumb I assume it's a typo.

I have the card in hand, that's the point ! :(

But you presume it's a mistake because there's nothing on download section ? It can be understable for Zeno, like it could be a copy/paste from Plato. But Launch Turret is specific to Epicurus... I don't know what to think... But you're probably right.

Oh no, I guess they might change it, but as i said, it's so silly a change that my mind refuses to believe it's not a typo :P As such, I will ignore the change just like I ignore all the pink unicorns that constantly get into my line of sight :ph34r:

Hahaha, yeah.

I think it's the good way to do, because there's nothing official public announce yet.

But even official website announces can contain mistakes >< (like MARs PDF with Elusive Target, non-mentionning mediums, only smalls).

For Zenos, I couldn't understand if it's not a typo either.

by the same token, Zeno card I saw has "+5 for Inventive Scientis" on it, per ship. I assume it's another sneak change, but much like the Epi, it's so mind-bogglingly dumb I assume it's a typo.

You have got to be feaking kidding me. Not an old card, is it? Did you check for a points drop? Because the damned things are way overpriced as it is without having to pay for that.

EDIT: I checked, my pre-hurricane season card has it as a 5pt upgrade. IN HS, it's free. I think the card just hasn't been updated.

You have got to be feaking kidding me. Not an old card, is it? Did you check for a points drop? Because the damned things are way overpriced as it is without having to pay for that.

EDIT: I checked, my pre-hurricane season card has it as a 5pt upgrade. IN HS, it's free. I think the card just hasn't been updated.

It means there's at least 3 versions of Stats Cards. My Epicurus' card appears to be the last one, with "redesigned" TFTs card. :(

be aware that some figures still have old cards in them. my waterlined TDOs still had the old 1.0 (shallow wader) profile, instead of the 1.1 (amphibious) profile.

they removed the "may not launch and use the launch turret at the same time" from the stat card, because they reworded the Launch/Land rules in the main rulebook. if the Epi had Combat Launch instead of Quick Launch, they probably would've kept the wording

Let's make simple :P

Everyone at my gaming store think these cards are new TFT cards, because noone of us ever had one like that :

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/2803/img20130215191738.jpg

And it looks updated : "Destroyed on a 5 or 6.", "Do not have fuel". Back says : CoA Drone TF do not use TF Assigned Rules.

And here is the Epicurus card with it :

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/6727/img20130215191818.jpg

Notice the Carries/Controls 6 Drones instead of Tiny Flyer Complement (6)... old or new ?

We are a bit confused. In France, DW started with 1.1 version (our rulebook and even CoA A5 booklet are 1.1), but we're not sure about units.