Sign in to follow this  
theIronSoldier

Pricing For Dw Commission Painting

Not DW specific, but I've seen a lot of stuff go for basically model price (retail) for a basic paintjob. However DW models tend to be on the cheap side per model. If I were to guess, I'd say the medium caps about $10, the small frigates, etc maybe $5-6 each. Battleships maybe around $15, dreads $20ish? Just a vague guess based on other stuff. I don't buy much painted though.

Not DW specific, but I've seen a lot of stuff go for basically model price (retail) for a basic paintjob. However DW models tend to be on the cheap side per model. If I were to guess, I'd say the medium caps about $10, the small frigates, etc maybe $5-6 each. Battleships maybe around $15, dreads $20ish? Just a vague guess based on other stuff. I don't buy much painted though.

I've been painting for years for other members of my gaming group. I've never charged any of them what it actually cost me to paint figures for them. I usually charge the cost of the models and sometimes a premium if I have to assemble the models or there is a lot of repetitive work involved. I try to do a high gaming quality, 3 to 4 base colors, highlights and washes, trim and sealant. There are professional painters out there but you would probably be looking at 5 to 10 times the cost of the model.

I've been painting for years for other members of my gaming group. I've never charged any of them what it actually cost me to paint figures for them. I usually charge the cost of the models and sometimes a premium if I have to assemble the models or there is a lot of repetitive work involved. I try to do a high gaming quality, 3 to 4 base colors, highlights and washes, trim and sealant. There are professional painters out there but you would probably be looking at 5 to 10 times the cost of the model.

Sure, sky is the limit on pricing. I'm pretty much the same way on painting. I've done work for friends, but I could never charge what it actually takes me to finish a model. Just trying to give a rough idea on what I think a really basic job would cost.

http://www.cgrpainters.com/?page_id=18 has some sample prices.

To make a living painting you have to be a much much quicker painter than I am for sure.