Sky_Admiral

Official Marauders of the Rift Thread: Supermax-89

I'm all for unusual ship design, and the Supermax has that. It doesn't look much like a boat. Not sure why it appears "open" inside. You would think they'd go for more density to stuff as many prisoners in there as possible -- cost effective and all that. The overall design resembles a trash can to me, and I think there is some symbolism there.

Whatever you do, you need to paint it with black and white horizontal stripes.

The back-story is a bit too dorky for my taste.

Space prisoners? Uniting in sacrifice for the sake of each other? :rolleyes:

Sorry, colour me cynical, and try Lord of the Flies or Battle Royale instead.

I don't know...I have a buddy/coworker who was a dorm speaker(read: mid-level lieutenant) while he was locked up, and, depending on the person and facility, prisoners can have enormous control and organization. Would there be a gang war before someone took the shipover? Would it be stupid-violent? Yes and Yes, but whoever was left would have total control.

[ ...DeathStar as a penal Station... ] That is what I thought the Supermax-89 resembled.

Can anyone help me here? Just what is SG going for with this??? :)

Perhaps they were hoping for an un-licensed tie-in with this:

Lockout[/i] 2012' ] A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates. Click here for synopsis and spoilers.

Or who knows? maybe they had a some type of partial license :huh: for the concept but without using the name.

The idea of sending prisoners off-planet is simply ludicrous and incredibly dangerous if they are at the top of the gravity well. This was conclusively demonstrated in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein, 1966.

Morale to that book: NEVER put people you don't trust at the top of anyone's gravity well.

I personally find the use of convict labor a useful end for the dregs of society. The dreadnought does look like several maximum security facilities stacked on top of each other. Perhaps the open area in the middle is where the convicts would assemble the mining equipment before descending upon an unfortunate asteroidal rock.

I do think that it is funny how the Syndicate thought the Terrans were coming to arrest them, before the Syndicate "made them a deal they couldn't refuse".

And one other thing, isn't it typical for the Mob to have convicts/ex-convicts under their thumb?

I quite like the design, it is very distinctive.

The concept that springs to my mind when I look at it is that the seperate segments are a security feature. Rather than packing them together if the ship is split into distinct areas which can be easily seperated a riot or other such trouble can be more easily contained and, if necessary, the seciton can be detached/targetted/vent the atmosphere more easily.

The hollow interior could also be used for storage of all the mined materials. innefficiant to put ore in expensive holds where more prisoners could be.

Only one topic on Supermax?

What do people think of the Supermax ships? Are you going to use them?

I am looking forward to seeing the renders for the destroyer and the frigate. I wonder if the will just be scaled down versions of the Dread though that could be fun.

The destroyers rules interest me. It is another Destroyer with a fixed fore but this one is manoeuvrable which has been suggested as a fix for that problem on other ships, maybe Spartan is testing the rule out before a general errata?

The gravity weapon MAR is interesting. Pulling stuff closer will spoil the day of several torp heavy ships and other destroyers (run frigates forward to tow them into RB2 of other ships should be fun). Only the Dread has lots of AP but a tunnel of ships funneling hapless targets towards the dread could be good.

As I have a large Terran fleet already I suspect I will grab some supermax to add in for flavour. A Decent destoryer should be interesting at any rate. Part of me though wishes that gravity weapons would let you either oull models closer or push them further away. I have some opponents who would not be amused at all if his ships kept getting pushed back in to Range band 4 of my torps!

Anyone else have tactical toughts?

The destroyers rules interest me. It is another Destroyer with a fixed fore but this one is manoeuvrable which has been suggested as a fix for that problem on other ships, maybe Spartan is testing the rule out before a general errata?

It is in the general errata. All destroyers have been given the Manoeuvrable MAR. Somewhere on the last page, I think.

Out of all the different subfactions, this is one I'm really interested in. The massive carrier centerpiece dreadnought is a really cool concept.

I really would like to see an entire fleet for Supermax-89.   

Cant wait to see these guys, something odly appealing of playing a band of murderous cutthroats moving arround in what is basicly a giant starbase with guns and crew to outshine dreadnoughts.

Hmmm Mutiple supermaxes in a single fleet...hmmmmm...cant help but imagine OZ in space.

Nothing on the marauders yet, I think I can safely say. I really want to them though. Especially the OmniDyne. Love that corporate evil to supplement my Directorate and Works Raptor.

Agreed, I to have a Directorate/Raptor fleet and I need some Evil...dont want people to think of my fleet as the nice guys ;)

They were always kind of weird, in that they were literally a single model/group, not really a faction.  In 2.0 the Reformer battlestation (which is basically the old Supermax station) is part of the Trader's League, who have taken over the management of the Terran penal system.  I seem to remember some fluff somewhere that Supermax ended up betrayed by both sides in the Syndicate/Omnidyne battles of Marauders of the Rift 1, and supposedly destroyed, but I honestly don't recall if that was just an explanation thrown around as a possibility on the boards or is official in any way.

I've always felt that anyone who still wants to play Supermax can do so--just use the Reformer stats and other Trader ships.  After all, it's the Rift--who's to say they haven't snuck off somewhere, and Syndicate and Omnidyne only THINK they are dead...