Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evilsockmonkeyzed

1:48 Scale Prussian A6-V Build

For not the first time, procrastination and inertia have served me well. I had only completed some of the lay-outs for my initial build at 1:60 scale when I received my first DL box. I was then able to place a number of Prussian infantry of the marked-up lower deck to judge their size. It was quickly apparent that 1:60 was under-sized for the actual size of the figures.

Back to the drawing board.

Fortunately, I had drawn and re-drawn the model so many times and had archived all of the measurements in Excel, it only took an hour or so to recreate my drawings in the new scale. When I then went back and sliced the 3D render into sections, I discovered that the new vertical measurements fell within less than 5/100's of an inch of the standard thickness of the pink (blue) board I am using for the basic body of the hull.

So, even though I have to redo a large amount of work, that reconstruction will take far less time than it did the first time around. I should finally be able to make enough headway to post some WIP pics soon.

New overall measurements for the build:

Maximum Length: 848 mm/ 33.4 inches

Maximum Beam: 457 mm/ 18 inches

Height to top of stack: 500 mm/ 19.7 inches

Height of hull w/o treads and stack: 325 mm/ 12.8 inches

The new lower deck will measure 262 mm / 10.3 inches across and the upper dec section 245 mm / 9.6 inches. The barbette turrets will now have a diameter of 94 mm / 3.7 inches.

Still not as roomy as the deck space of the Chi Ri, but significantly better than the earlier design.

i to have recieved my figures and have settled on 1;48 (frightened to mention scale as repetitive scale argument may resume :o ) i'm curious ? you mention the thickness off foam, is this just for the core or will you be finishing in foam ? i was assuming plastic card for some reason , probably just because thats how i'd do it and its cheap ? :)

i to have recieved my figures and have settled on 1;48 (frightened to mention scale as repetitive scale argument may resume :o ) i'm curious ? you mention the thickness off foam, is this just for the core or will you be finishing in foam ? i was assuming plastic card for some reason , probably just because thats how i'd do it and its cheap ? :)

I have a good bit of 1/8 and 1/16 birch on hand, so I will probably be cladding a lot of the model in that. The turrets will be clad in either styrene or 1/64 birch plywood.

ah i never would have thought of wood , not very good with it , and in australia we get very few hardwoods and they are quite expensive. that plus i cant melt it, pour it, bend it etc could you post pics of build progress . its interesting to others (me !) and i always think about it after a build is finished cheers myth

Here are two shots of 3 PE infantry on the lower deck of my original 1:60 layout. As this was laid-out for cutting, there is no representation of the turret, but you can imagine how tight the space would be with that added.

Upperdeckoverviewwfigs.jpg

Upperdeckcloseup.jpg

Changing the scale to 1:48 increased all dimensions by 25%. The change will not make the decks "roomy", but will allow for a six man squad to be deployed both fore and aft.

ah i never would have thought of wood , not very good with it , and in australia we get very few hardwoods and they are quite expensive. that plus i cant melt it, pour it, bend it etc

I understand a high price point for European or North American species, but I would have thought "exotics" from New Guinea would be much more reasonable.

As one of my other hobbies is wood-working/cabinet making, wood is a natural choice. I have all of the tools needed to cut drill and sand it on hand. 1/32 birch plywood is actually cheaper here than Evergreen or Pastistruct sheets and comes in much larger sheets.

The benefit of using wood here is that it is porous. More aggressive glues tend to melt the foam. Simple wood glue or tacky glue will give a great bond between two porous materials without the risk.

I understand a high price point for European or North American species, but I would have thought "exotics" from New Guinea would be much more reasonable.

As one of my other hobbies is wood-working/cabinet making, wood is a natural choice. I have all of the tools needed to cut drill and sand it on hand. 1/32 birch plywood is actually cheaper here than Evergreen or Pastistruct sheets and comes in much larger sheets.

The benefit of using wood here is that it is porous. More aggressive glues tend to melt the foam. Simple wood glue or tacky glue will give a great bond between two porous materials without the risk.

evergreen though amazing and ivaluable for its diferent surface textures is also the dearest way to purchase styrene in aus you can purchase a 1mx1.5m sheet of hips (high impact styrene)for the equivalant price of 1 small sheet of evergreen .

then again you dont sound like you suffer my wood phobia . thanks for sharing your build , i'm enjoying watching others work

Initial render of turrets on hull. Upper turret shifted forward compared to model.

At 1:1200 scale, many details have to be exaggerated. Simply changing the scales of the gun barrels gives us 105 & 72 inch guns- that look rather ridiculous. That is why I wrote initial render above. The top surfaces of upper turret are 13 mm wide now. With the gun narrowed and lengthened there should be a stable surface for figs on the upper turret as well as the barbette turrets.

TurretsRender.jpg

the scaling down/up of some of the models features will drive some purists nuts but as beautiful as the originals are you have wooden deck planking a nearly 4foot wide and rivets the size of a persons head good luck

Initial render of turrets on hull. Upper turret shifted forward compared to model. At 1:1200 scale...

At 1:1200 both turrets are shown in the "recoiled" position, as if the just fired ... that's the story; try to stick to it. :P

Seriously, looking good.

You might think about putting a thinner barrel (muzzle) poking out of the fat stumpy one. Something like this guy:

IBR-2056300.jpg

Stair step the diameters down - very Victorian / 19th century. (Note the rivets. See: Source.)

I've been playing around with some renders of the Prussian TF at 1:48 scale. The dimensions work out reasonably close to the Bf-109. However, when I compare the dimensions to the Prussian Grenadier, it appears on the smallish side.

The size of the turrets on the AV-6 also has me wondering. Even after adjusting the gun size, there would seem to be precious little room for any kind of crew. Granted, gun turrets aren't especially roomy spaces, but there would need to be enough for the guns to be served.

Perhaps this weekend, I will do some quick mock-ups of the main and barbette turrets to get a better feel for their scale.

I am really looking forward to the release of one of the cross-over models, such as the Pioneer to see what kind of scaling Spartan is using.

The size of the turrets on the AV-6 also has me wondering. Even after adjusting the gun size, there would seem to be precious little room for any kind of crew. Granted, gun turrets aren't especially roomy spaces, but there would need to be enough for the guns to be served.

There is a set of blue prints to a Sherman tank here: Sherman Blueprint GIF. A useful experiment might be to import the gif into your CAD program, scale the print down [or up?] to 1/48th, and then directly compare the Sherman turret to the 1/48 AV-6 turret. Might give you some perspective on the issue...

Fore and aft angles laid-out and cut.

The side angles were cut at 23 degrees when the blanks were cut to width.

The fore and aft angles were then laid-out on each blank and cut at 27 degrees with a band saw.

The bottom three layers were then glued-up. The upper three layers require additional cutting. They are attached to the lower section with masking tape to allow them to be separated later.

Each facet is then hand sanded, first to bring the layers smooth with each other, then to the layout lines on the exposed top and bottom levels.

sandedrough4sides.jpg

Next gen turret design render.

Will continue to refine the design, specifically the gun barrels, but I believe that this is a definite improvement over the earlier more literally interpretation of the mini.

The change in gun design will allow multiple infantry on both the main gun turret and the secondary barbette turrets

Turrets02.jpg

Next gen turret design render.

Will continue to refine the design, specifically the gun barrels, but I believe that this is a definite improvement over the earlier more literally interpretation of the mini.

The change in gun design will allow multiple infantry on both the main gun turret and the secondary barbette turrets

Turrets02.jpg

hi zed agree the firts draught is a little over the top but feel this one is a lttle too realistic..... maybe a compromise ? i know its subjective just throwing my 2 cents worth in there

hi zed agree the firts draught is a little over the top but feel this one is a lttle too realistic..... maybe a compromise ? i know its subjective just throwing my 2 cents worth in there

Thanks for the input. I have plenty of time to work it out. Guns and treads will be my last steps. There are a lot of details that I hope to use the 3DP for and it may not arrive until Christmas. Good news thou high is that their new controller release is touted to increase its resolution from .3 mm to . 1 mm.

Thanks for the input. I have plenty of time to work it out. Guns and treads will be my last steps...

+2 cp

I'd vote to thicken up the barrels a bit more than this latest render also.

Much foam dust created yesterday.

Fore and aft undercuts mostly completed. Hand sawed the rough profile then smoothed and leveled with sand paper.

Undercutlong.jpg

Two important notes: power sanders are too aggressive to use with foam at this scale. 60 grit paper and a sanding block remove material well. Second, smooth does not equal level. I lay a straight edge across the work a multiple angles to check for high spots. Unless they are knocked-down, those spots will make cladding difficult and will immediately show when painted if the surface is left unclad.

Undercutbottom.jpg

Although perfectly smooth to the touch, a small rise along the centerline is apparent in the view above from the upper left corner to the centerline.

Insets for the barbette turrets cut in level 4. Semi circles laid-out on the bottom of the layer and then cut using a power saber saw. Would normally use the scroll saw or the band saw with 1/8 inch blade for this work, but the size of the blank made that impossible.

Cut inside the lay-out lines and sanded the shapes true.

BarbetteCutouts.jpg

Layer 4 stacked on the bottom unit:

1to4stacked.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.