Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hugeonic

Base Size..

I was unable to locate any information in the Quick Start Rules, and while it is clear by both the bases included in the starter boxes, and the pictures of the models, will there be any rules governing base size for models?

Implied is the following:

Officers, Characters, and Veteran Sections on 40mm bases.

Mainstay Sections, including special weapons, on 30mm bases.

Well, I put my brother's FSA together, and there was just enough smaller bases for all the line infantry, and I put the scouts, sarg, lieutenant on big bases. Hopefully that was right.... <_<;

Sorry, but I think the Sergeant should be on a 30mm base. To quote from 'Unboxing Dystopian Legions' on the blog "40mm bases are used for Officers, Characters and elite models. 30mm bases are used for standard infantry." The image for the FSA starter in the same article shows Doc Orlington, the Officer (Lieutenant), the two buffalo hunters, and the two Indian scouts on 40mm bases and the rest on 30mm bases.

Both the Prussian Feldwebel (Sergeant) and the Britannian Sergeant are on 30mm bases.

Link to this page:

http://www.spartanga...stopian-legions

Note that the image for the Prussians mistakenly shows their Leutnant on a 30mm base. He should be on a 40mm base.

Oh, I think I said that wrong. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. The Prussian sargeant (the guy pointing and saying "Bring mir ein bier!") is on a 30mm base.... and for FSA I followed the same formula... Doc, socuts, and lieutenant on the larger bases. I keep getting my ranks mixed up... I'm so bad with military ranks.

Forgive me, Archfiend and its Champion Zed.

Sgt is the pointy dude, lieutenant is the other.

Sgt for FSA is the duyde reaching for his sword, ya?

I am not planning to get any DL stuff soon. But if I did I would be inclined to put them on the smallest WarMallet <_< bases that would fit. I would want to wedge as many guys as tightly together as possible behind a rampart, in a bunker, at a bulwark, inside vehicles, etc. And it would be nice if there was some hope of having them fit through doors and hallways.

Beyond the OP's question, I'd like to know if that would be cheating? bending the rules? putting such troops at some disadvantage? ...wrong?/allowable? Forbidden??

There would be advantages in the game with smaller bases. Get more guys in cover as one example. If you mean cheating and not following the rules, then probable that would be cheating. :-P In playing other people they may not like it and let you do it anyhow.

If everyone was on the same size bases as you then I don't see a problem with your group doing so.

There would be advantages in the game with smaller bases. Get more guys in cover as one example. If you mean cheating and not following the rules, then probable that would be cheating...

OK. I did download the rules out of curiosity but have not looked at them closely enough to find that. Would there be any disadvantages to having small bases and bunching troopers together? Area effect weapons? hand grenades?

The only disadvantage would be for lieutnants who would suffer from a smaller comand range. Otherwise there would be only advantages.

One way to get around this would be to put you're guys on small basses that fit onto the regular ones. The extra hight doesn't mater as ther is no real LoS in the game.

You may have problems basing some of the infantry on smaller bases, the figures are 'large' and you would probably only fit them on 25mm bases at best.

I am going to stick with the base sizes as supplied, but of course it's up to you. You may have problems when playing against someone who has based their Legions figures as intended though? ;)

Oh, I think I said that wrong. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. The Prussian sargeant (the guy pointing and saying "Bring mir ein bier!") is on a 30mm base.... and for FSA I followed the same formula... Doc, socuts, and lieutenant on the larger bases. I keep getting my ranks mixed up... I'm so bad with military ranks.

Pleased to hear that you have got it right. Nothing worse than having to rebase!

I am going to stick with the base sizes as supplied, but of course it's up to you. You may have problems when playing against someone who has based their Legions figures as intended though? ;)

I am in wait and see mode for this game. The first model I am going to buy is the Ke-Ho tank (...cause it is just so cool...) but I might never take up this game.

Will people find it is a total pain to find, adapt or build terrain for their figs because of the wide bases? I am going to let others participate in that research. 1:48 is one inch equals four feet. A typical hallway in a house is three feet wide. So even on a 25mm base a guy will be too wide to position in a hallway. Or a door :huh:

I used the search function in the PDF reader to look for each instance of base or bases. "Bases" was only in there once. I could not find anything that officially set the base sizes or even a statement like 'all models should be on the base they were shipped with'.

It looked like being on smaller bases would drop shooting ranges a few millimeters. There were several instances where things were measured from the edge of bases, like charging, and line of sight tracing ... I concluded it would hinder at times and help at times to be on smaller bases.

I feel like the smaller base sizes would give some sort of advantage and/or disadvantage, which would make me not cool with it. I wouldn't be all TFG neckbeard about it and refuse to play with you, but I would definitely say "Well you wouldn't fit with a regular base in that spot..." and in my head, the match "would not count" since it was illegal from the start... I would play and have a good time, but I would always question the outcome to myself.

I'm sure some people wouldn't care at all (my brother - I can't even get him to use his @!#! bases that came with his DW tanks most of the time).

I haven't put much thought into indoor skirmishes for this game (other than acting out boarding actions, but I was just thinking like a flight deck type of thing). Sounds like fun!

"Well you wouldn't fit with a regular base in that spot..."

Exactly. My first impressions are that they have produced a game where by design figures that represent 1 human will sometimes be physically incapable of fitting in or being placed in spots where 1 real human could obviously fit.

Bugs me enough I am unlikely to ever get into this game. (So no worries about offending me in particular during a game or vice-versa.)

But here's the thing I have to wonder: are you going to say,

"Well you... [ don't ] ...fit with a regular base in that spot..."

...if an opponent that you do play wants to move one of his figures through a standard size door? or stop in the doorway? or stand on a ledge? Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out something that could use a bit of think through in advance.

(Further food for thought: the scale of the DL figures appears to be 1:48 or 1 inch equals 4 feet. So an oversized door 4 feet wide will be 25mm wide, too small for a trooper, way too small for an officer.)

If that's going to be the reason you restrict yourself from playing then you are restricting yourself from playing ANY miniature game that I can think of where the figures represent humans.

Lets take 40k. The models are 28mm figures on 25mm bases. Lets take your 3' wide hallway you are basing this off of. If my calculations are correct, the 1:60/65 scale that is 28mm would require the hallway to be approximately 0.55 inches wide, (14 mm), which happens to be essentially half the width of the base.

From what I can tell this is the same for all miniature games I know of.

The reason for this is that the base is normally used to represent the area of influence. In 40k a base could represent a 6' circle that a soldier should be able to control. This is why I have never seen any boards set up with actual scale hallways. The method of putting mini's on bases completely invalidates the idea of a soldier walking down a hallway.

OK. I did download the rules out of curiosity but have not looked at them closely enough to find that. Would there be any disadvantages to having small bases and bunching troopers together? Area effect weapons? hand grenades?

One other advantage is If you have multiple units next to each other with small bases, you could get more fire on an enemy unit who was using standard basing. Whenever one changes any format in a given game system no matter what system there are pros and cons to that change.

As disadvantages I am sure their are some, like not being able to cover a given area as a blocking element. It would make it easier to get around your forces. But I wouldn't take that as a reason to use small bases. Just because there are pros and cons it changes how one plays the game when something is different. But like a said before if your group you play with are all going with smaller bases I see no reason for not doing it. If your the only one and they still play with you, it may not settle well if you win by any advantaged gained by going with smaller bases.

It is like the game Flames of War, with it's current rules version 3. Because there is an advantage to having an aircraft with a tiny flight stand compared to one with a high one, there are some who will use short flight stands because it looks good, but gains an advantage to avoiding AA fire.

So even though you may like the look and idea of them being on small bases, you may want to rethink how this would effect who you played.

I must admit that I have based my two officers on 30mm rather than 40mm bases. My reasoning is that any scenery i buld all infantry will be able to fit don stairways etc. The main disadvantage is the 5mm reduction in command range.

I must admit that I have based my two officers on 30mm rather than 40mm bases. My reasoning is that any scenery i build all infantry will be able to fit don stairways etc. The main disadvantage is the 5mm reduction in command range.

That is where I approach this from: the POV of a Terrain Builder (e.g. how will these figures interact with scenery? what adjustments would I have to make to the scale of things ... what are we going to do when figs will not fit?)

So it is kinda looking like this to make it work:

• Figures 1/48 (one inch equals 4 feet)
  • Buildings Structures 1/30 (approximately 30mm equals 3 feet; or one inch equals a 30 inch door)
  • Vehicles 1/ ?? (one inch equals ?? feet)

It would have been nice to be able to use 1/48th scale kits and models to fill up the table but I see the larger base sizes as hindering that.

If base size is a critical matter (that's fine; it is a legit design parameter for a war game),

It would have been a good thing to have an affirmative statement in the rules something like: "The Dystopian Legions rules have been tested and designed for the figures to be mounted on the base size they are shipped with. If players customize their bases they should adhere to the standard base sizes and shapes (footprints). These are:"

• Single Infantry Figures: 30mm round
  • Single NCO Figures: 40mm round (unless it's 30?)
  • Heavy Squad Level Weapons: XXmm round
  • Cavalry/Bike Mounted Figures: XX by XXmm rounded oblongs
  • Infantry Officers Afoot: 40mm round
  • Superheavy Infantry/Ironmen: 40mm round
  • Special Characters: 40mm round
  • Vehicles/Ironclads: Actual vehicle footprint"

If the base size is not that critical some words specifying allowable variations (+/-) would have been good.

But it is a bit of an oversight to have nothing in the rules about it one way or another. There is just not a Stone Tablet buried under the middle of Stonehenge or sitting on the wall behind Bugman's Bar in Nottingham with the 11th Commandment For Wargamer's engraved on it that reads:

"...Thou shalt not base thy figures upon any base, unless thou shalt base thy figures upon the bases that they are sold with..."

An other solution is to base the models on the small bases and than stick a transparant plastic disc under them with blue tack or magnets so that way you keep the footprint of the base while still being able to remove them for positioning purposes.

It is wait and see** for me.

...Lets take 40k. The models are 28mm figures on 25mm bases. Lets take your 3' wide hallway you are basing this off of. If my calculations are correct, the 1:60/65 scale that is 28mm would require the hallway to be approximately 0.55 inches wide, (14 mm), which happens to be essentially half the width of the base...

...In 40k a base could represent a 6' circle that a soldier should be able to control. This is why I have never seen any boards set up with actual scale hallways. The method of putting mini's on bases completely invalidates the idea of a soldier walking down a hallway.

(I have always figured the 25mm round is a 5 foot manhole cover but otherwise...) Yes, the figure bases in (why don't we say?) Chronopia mean dimensions of buildings have to be fudged or they don't work or no one ever builds and uses any. And the problem is bad enough with 25mm bases.

I think Levi is onto something...

Another solution is to base the models on the small bases and than stick a transparant plastic disc under them with blue tack or magnets so that way you keep the footprint of the base while still being able to remove them for positioning purposes.

+1

And I know where to order clear round laser cut bases from...

**maybe the longer version of the DL rules will have some genius conventions for moving within and around buildings and stuff.

I scoured the PDF a little using the FIND command. Looked for instances of base, bases, scale and terrain.

The word 'scale' is used only twice. But 'terrain' got used numerous times. Some tentative conclusions concerning man-size figures interacting with terrain are: that trenches will need to be custom made to a width of 42mm minimum, and that buildings will need to be 1) removable and 2) replaceable with a floor plan piece that has the same foot print as the corresponding building.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.