Sign in to follow this  
Sanguinary Dan

Question On Towing. Am I Missing Something?

As I intend on browbeating my group into a full bore campaign early next year, I've been carefully reading all the rules for amphibious assaults. On the whole it make sense. But...

Towing. As far as I can tell there is no speed penalty when you tow something. :huh:Really? Maybe I'm just blind or something? Because as I read the rules I can have a Magenta Mk.II (Large Capital) tow a Large Landing Barge (Large Capital) that is carrying a Bastille Land Ship (Large Capital) with no loss in speed (I know the barge has the same base speed as the Magenta, I'm just making a point.) and still be eligible for the STREAMLINED HULL MAR if it doesn't turn!!! :blink:

What the in the name of the great god FUBAR is up with this rule? I'm at the very least doubling the mass and quite probably quadrupling the drag, but I lose no speed at all and can still use Streamlined Hull. This makes 0.0% sense to me. :(

Can someone explain this or better yet point out the penalty I've missed? Please?

Dan you must have missed the previousthread(1): here is a link to it. As regards your comments, welcome to the club and as interim club President(2) I am delighted to inform you that the positions of Secretary, Treasurer, and Master-At-Arms are all open and further, when we get up to a quorum of five members we can have a proper election for permanent club President. :rolleyes:

Notes:

1. ...in which I might have been guilty of commenting at some length.

2. I will here repeat the most important of my previous comments: "Do not try any idea from the DW towing Rules with real boats".

The towing rules are a little weird. In my playgroup we house ruled a few things for our campaigns. The small and Large landing craft are powered and as such don't need to be towed and use their normal movement but halved when loaded. The medium barges need to be towed or guided by at-least a medium class model, gives Tribals something to do, and also at half normal speed when loaded. They are attached to that squadron and as such can combine fire AA and CC with their tower. The smalls can be grouped into squadrons of up to 4 and the larges into squadrons of 2.

I'll happily accept the position of Treasurer if you'd like to send the club funds my way? ;)

I'm honestly of the opinion that the Towing Rule is so screwed up as to be unusable. And reading a few of the CoA threads on towing the Orb into battle certainly reinforces that feeling. If it slowed the towing vessel by even 25% I'd have no issue. But as it stands? Too silly to allow.

I'll happily accept the position of Treasurer if you'd like to send the club funds my way? ;)

So far all we have is 17 Blue Quatloos, 8 Red Quatloos, something called a Lankhmarite Smerduk and 1 Schrute Buck (which I suspect is counterfeit). <_<

I'm honestly of the opinion that the Towing Rule is so screwed up as to be unusable. And reading a few of the CoA threads on towing the Orb into battle certainly reinforces that feeling. If it slowed the towing vessel by even 25% I'd have no issue. But as it stands? Too silly to allow.

I suppose we could debate and ponder more useful, realistic, and sensible rules. With the goal of scrapping and entirely replacing the right hand column on page 87. I have three thoughts on this and they are:

• Towing alongside seems much more useful and war-game friendly (and it was done in combat in the American Civil War).
  • Towing at a more realistic (i.e. larger) distance might somewhat mitigate the effect of an Orb detonating while under tow.
  • Designing an Ocean-going towboat (which could push a landing barge) might be a thought and worthy goal.