Aimlessfreak

Official Marauders & Mercenaries Thread: OSO Corsairs

Coolest Looking Fleet?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/6/2017 at 9:46 PM, WestAustralian said:

Indeed they are up... I will have to enquirer at my FLGS. After I have reviewed their rules. To see how many I want. Come on Spartan, surprise us...

also noticed this 

image.jpg

cant say I am a fan.

without the bottom carrier bay, the top half looks decent

I've been racking my brain about the Corsairs aesthetic for a while now, there's just something about  them that didn't feel right. Then, after seeing the Racketeer, it hit me.

Forklifts. They look like friggin' forklifts.

The smalls look like mini forklifts with the forks down, the Battlecarrier looks like a big Forklift with the forks up and the cruiser looks like a forklift flying sideways. MST3K fans-They tried to kill him with a forklif!

To be honest though...I like the Racketeer. It looks distinctive whilst still looking like it belongs. I must have a thing for Fugly ships, my Regent is a staple of my KA fleet:D

Yowza I am not a fan of the battle carrier. I think it just needs to be longer, or maybe in person it won't look so squat and odd. either way I may get one to cannibalize for parts and add them to my Hawker Frankenship since it lacks obvious hangers. 

What is the ship's purpose in my Corsairs fleet?

I can already get a linked 10/14/4/- shot from my Cruisers for 25 points less! Yes, these can be upgraded to 6/9, but that means they now cost 180 points and that 10/13/7/- is their max firepower. Their max damage AD is 12/16/10/- with upgraded fore weapons, but my cruisers are not so far and I can upgrade their CR & DR to 5/7 (for free), and they retain Retractible Plating for a non-shooting DR/CR of 6/8, or I can upgrade their weapons and put out 17/21/11/-.

The ship seems to want to be a tank, but for almost 200 points a 10/13/7/- on a squad size 2 ship is not very appealing...I just target one of them, get 6 hits and the squadron is useless, because the squadron is only as strong as its weakest link, and they don't have enough ships in it to mitigate this effect.

Sorry, but I stick to Cruisers!

But that's still less than the cruisers, for more points...that's the thing - what do they do that the cruisers aren't already? Firing torpedoes in rear arc RB1? Wow. I like the model but cannot buy with this profile

As I have said I am not a fan of the Racketeer Model. I know some people love it and that's great for them. It is just not what I always imagined so I made a Custom Racketeer...

From a Corsair Cruiser and a Works Raptor Battleship. 

image.jpg

I made this

image.jpg

Many in progress pictures in my FSA thread here:
http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/20880-westaustralians-fsa-fleets/

I posted this on Facebook earlier today.  I finally got my preordered Racketeer Battle carrier today. Here are some pics since many people probably haven't seen one built yet. The SRS look cool and I found it odd that the Spartan render doesn't include the two fin pieces that are on the final model. The other models look good, but man be careful when working on the engine area for the new Brigands and Gunships. Those areas chip easily. 

IMG_20170606_062818_zpsgbxo2ejm.jpg

IMG_20170606_062738_zpserck6agw.jpg

IMG_20170606_062603_zps3fb6ekrm.jpg

IMG_20170606_194904_zps3q0dyicm.jpg

IMG_20170606_194908_zpsnh2x5r0w.jpg

IMG_20170606_201256_zps86t0j1dq.jpg

How about a comparison between old and new.....

The Cruiser
image.jpg

image.jpg
You can see they are basically the same but with quite a few subtle differences. The only change I mind is the fact that the front forks are parallel now. They look better angled in. 

The Frigate
image.jpg
The new Frigate is huge and chunky. With its simplified (and parallel) forks it looks quite different. 

A quick note on the material itself. These New models have more Mould Lines, Air Bubbles and Cracks than any other Spartan miniature I have ever handled. I hope this is not a sign of things to come

My plan has always been to paint these Cruisers and Frigates slightly different to my main force. The are supposed to belong to an ally. Brought in to expand the main force as needed. 

Overall these are great miniatures that really capture the look and feel of the Corsairs

55 minutes ago, WestAustralian said:

A quick note on the material itself. These New models have more Mould Lines, Air Bubbles and Cracks than any other Spartan miniature I have ever handled. I hope this is not a sign of things to come

I agree. A lot of air bubbles and cracks. The engine area was very brittle and I had to repair this area a lot. Currently painting mine and hope to finish them by Sunday before a local tournament here in Columbus. 

I have looked at the stats and ships, they look cool and would be nice to have a fleet to assault/mine/go through fields without dying!  I have a fleet planned for tournaments.  2 Battle Carriers, 3 Cruiser Squadrons, 2 minimum frigate squadrons...how does that sound?