Guest Delboy

Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread

Because you don't need an agile dogfighter when using long-range rockets, but that agility might come in handy when you need to accurately drop a bomb

I'm not convinced by that argument. Even with sturginium mad science I don't think that they've developed smart missiles (well except for Covenant Drones). My understanding of the background is that these are still pretty low tech unguided missiles so a maneuverable launch platform is still beneficial whilst even a slower aircraft ought to be able to position itself to bomb a submerged vessel.

From a game design point of view I agree that making the smaller faster one the bomber and the bigger heavier one the long range rocket platform. I just feel that from a modelling point of view it would have made more sense for the anti-naval unit to be a flying boat and the anti-air unit to look like a more aerobatic vehicle.

@Wargamer Mike

Where did you find that render? And are there any more goodies where that came from???

-Breaker-

In the Danish thread under alliances and mercenaries.  Just randomly browsing the forum one night when low and behold I found that giant!  Note: If you click on the pic it takes you to Delboy's photobucket, you are sure to find any pics he posts there! :ph34r:

I think he meant land and air fleets. The polish-lithuanian commonwealth is a single faction according to the fluff. 

That's why I was speculating two boxes, A "Polish-Lithuanian Fleet" vs. "Polish and Lithuanian Fleets" peaked my curiousity  :ph34r: .

Guest Delboy

I could see a PLC Land box with a Pocket or Light Landship. Something that would allow to play the hussars without having to hijack a Land Dreadnought from the Russian "allies".

Good thinking there. ;)

This is exactly what we have done - the Pocket Landship works in 1-2 strong units and brings a load of flaming-death-justice to the tabletop.

We want the P+L to be fast, flaming and aggressive in their outlook, both on Land and in the Air. :)

Evil evil tease there delboy. When you do the landing ship box will we see the beach objective terrain listed on the box? I think it calls them A5 tiles or something like that. They have peaked my interest as i am making terrain right now at home.

I hope it moves 9". Because it will have to keep up with my medium tanks, and it's just wrong not to move that every turn...

I cannot wait.

Curses, Delboy. After seeing the latest pre-release batch, I was thinking "Finally, a month where I get to relax, nothing for my factions, don't need to be excited about new releases". Now this. And I'm excited again. I haven't even got the last thing I was excited about!

At the end of the Russian preview, he said the amphibious box set was next so EIC and Merchant Navy can't be far off.

I am super keen to hear about the Merchant Navy as well, we just need to be patient. :)

Guest Delboy

Here is an example the type of a5 tile [....at least I think its a5?!...] that will be included in the AL-box. Its designed to help us all bridge the gap between the Land and the Sea [....also it looks really cool!...] Most of us have a blue table/mat and a green table/mat......but joining them together can be a pain so......the clever folks at Spartan came up with this!!! B)

tile-2_zps26786d28.jpg

Each tile is Hard Card and each is different. Initially there were a few with buildings on them, but we got them removed to allow players to allocate their own terrain, thus keeping the tiles as flexible as possible.

Which builds up to this.......

long-line_zpsb2edb11d.jpg

Pretty nifty eh!? :D......although I would point out this is an older picky....the building in the bottom left has been removed to make the set more generic.

I'll be working through the playtester notes on the upcoming boxes in the following order :

Amphibious Landing Box [AL-Box]

Merchant Navy Box [MN-Box]

East India Trading Company Box [EiC- Box]

Each one is unusual and designed to broaden the game. Here is a brief introduction.

The AL-Box gives us a re-written version of the rules from Hurricane Season, with a scenario [either inside the box or as a blog depending on deadlines!], new Towing rules {HUZZAH!} that are restricted to a single vessel [......the  Sisyphus Tug Boat!....] and a consolidation of a few models that were in blisters. The multi-theatre aspect of D-Wars was one of the things that drew me into the game in the first place, and some of my best/most-tense games have centred around the Amphibious Landing games....so I'm quite excited about this one! B)

The MN-Box is a bit of a departure for Spartan in that its designed almost entirely for the Scenario/Story gamer. The intent is to broaden out the games available to folks with a mad mix of Repair Vessels, Merchantmen, Merchantmen Defenders, Apollo Light Carriers, Q-Ships, Oil Rigs.....Q-Oil Rigs[?!?] and even a re-vamped Titan Troop Ship too. Most of these models [....the Merchantmen and Oil Rigs at least...] are for scenario uses, with the rest forming the bulk of a Merchant Allied fleet that folks can dip into at their leisure. We should be able to fit in a scenario into this one to get folks started [either in the box or on the blog]......but in truth I'm sure will get as much fun designing and playing their own scenarios!  :)

The EITC Box provides the piratical East India ample opportunity to use their Boarding Party AP, their Sustained Fire Torp Turrets + Heavy Turrets and prestigious speed/manoeuvrability. With a Pocket Battleship, Support Blimp, Cruiser and flexible Frigate build........the box focuses on Torpedoes, which can be upgraded to Heavy Turrets if desired. The modular aspect of the Merchant Fleet is carried forwards with the Frigate Build which can allow for the creation of no less than 3 different models! A nice box, and one I'm, sure folks will love both from a background and gameplay standpoint......everybody likes Pirates [......even Corporate ones!....] :P

I reckon if I were to summarise the next 3 boxes, I'd say they were facilitators. they are designed to encourage and engage those gamers who want to DIY [Do it Yourself] their own games/scenarios [....although the EIC box IS still pretty competitive!....] With the universe starting to round off nicely, with many nations and factions making their appearance, it was important to fill in some gaps, in terms of Gameplay, Background and Gaming Scope.

These boxes should do just that! :D

More to come obviously!

Cheers,

d.

Guest Delboy

Hi Moridin !

The Light Carrier is in the Merchant Navy Box, so the write up for that will be after the AL-Box.

d.

No worries, was simply wondering since it is in two of the boxes! Really keen on the merchant navy box as I can think of dozens of cool scenarios off the top of my head for those merchants already!

Good thinking there. ;)

This is exactly what we have done - the Pocket Landship works in 1-2 strong units and brings a load of flaming-death-justice to the tabletop.

We want the P+L to be fast, flaming and aggressive in their outlook, both on Land and in the Air. :)

This is one of those times when I love guessing right.

I'm with Sebenko on that one: I can't wait. On the other hand, my wallet does disagree ferociously (why can't we just cut on unnecessary stuff like food and rent, I ask you?).

Also, if it's not asking too much, how much do Spartan and/or the Playtest group use the various "fan-made rules/ships" topics as inspiration? Not a critic in any way, it's awesome if you do and still cool if you don't.

Guest Delboy

Also, if it's not asking too much, how much do Spartan and/or the Playtest group use the various "fan-made rules/ships" topics as inspiration? Not a critic in any way, it's awesome if you do and still cool if you don't.

The forum and fan-driven suggestions ARE important, without them we would be playing our own game, rather than a game everyone wants to play - Its important in the Games-Design parts of the creation process that we are always mindful of that.

To simply steer our own path would be very arrogant, and that's at odds with how we run the Senior Design and Beta Test teams. Everyone gets a say in the teams and so as you'd expect, forum members also get 'listened to' when they suggest ideas for new vessels/fleets/mechanics etc... in the forum space.

To that end we are always looking at the forum, and outside influences to steer thinking and develop ideas.

Bottom Line - Its all about making the game better and making sure everyone feels they are involved! :)

Hi Delboy,

If any other existing units are on the drawing board for revisions/redesigns, is that likely to only happen when new additions (or campaign books) are added to the nations?

I'm kind of imagining it would, seeing as it's probably easier to reach everyone when it comes with a new release rather than just as a link on the website.