Guest Delboy

Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread

Good job dredging up yesterdays drivel.

And who ever said I was thinking in a vacuum? I can use my experiences on the table with various units of the same attack strength and defence, or more specifically my experiences with Metzger himself on both land and sea, and apply the new information provided to come to a conclusion.

No one needs to play with a model to come to a conclusion on it's uses, and viability. All they need to do is think about it for more than three seconds. Attack the thought from every angle you can think of, using all of your experiences in the game up to now as part of the equation.

Why do you think a lot of people turn up to tournaments with terrible armies? Because they haven't thought enough about what they might be facing, and how their units will perform under these types of enemies.

What I can gather from your comments, on this and other prussian complaint threads, is that you are judging units (you refer to this as a skill you've acquired) based on their mathematical proclivity to help you win competitive, min-maxed fleet list tournament games. If you want to complain that the Metzger does not help you achieve this specific goal, then I have no problem with your statement as I have no interest in tournaments or competitive play.

This would be your vacuum I am referring to: the judgment of units based strictly on one particular usage (winning a tournament), while disavowing all other usage as having no value (awesome looking model, great concept, fun, not worrying about the game outcome, A SWIMMING ROBOT!). Also - not sure why you keep saying the Metzger can't do anything better than the Konigsburg - my Konigsburgs have never grabbed hold of an Independece's hull with both arms, lifted it into the air and bodyslammed it into an island like Metzger has; but maybe I'm just not playing it right.

It's obvious you and I play this game for different reasons, and therefore approach new units with a different perspective. Though style and appearance are much bigger factors in my enjoyment than numbers on a sheet, I do like to win as much as the next guy - which is why it was so hard to always shelve my swimming Metzger in the past, and why this change is brilliant. To each his own; the only reason I am responding in this thread is to make the distinction clear that just because a new unit doesn't float your boat statistically, doesn't mean its not a great unit for more people to use and enjoy (thus becoming more popular).

Also - not sure why you keep saying the Metzger can't do anything better than the Konigsburg - my Konigsburgs have never grabbed hold of an Independece's hull with both arms, lifted it into the air and bodyslammed it into an island like Metzger has; but maybe I'm just not playing it right.

First: The Konigsburg can shoot twice as many weapons as Metzger can. It's just about as tough as Metzger. And it's 5pts cheaper than Metzger. It can't board as well as Metzger can, but Metzger is twice as likely to never get to boarding range. So that kind of evens out.

I'd call that 2-1 to the Battlecruiser. Only reason anyone, I would think, would bring Metzger now is just because it's a swimming Robot. That's just taking a model because it's cool. Not good gaming sense.

It wasn't taken before because it was dreadful in the water. All it gained in this update was a Harpoon Launcher, and it learned to swim faster. It isn't realistically any better at boarding than it used to be. It isn't more durable than it used to be.

So what has it really gained? A novelty boost in the Naval game. And that is all.

Metzger's update could have waited a little while longer. Other models needed updating more than it did.

Second: Technically, Metzger can't grab hold of an Independence and fling it onto an Island either. Since, by the rules, he is actually picking the Marines off the ship. (I know you know that the models a Robot boards are never destroyed and removed from the table)

It's worth pushing your ability as a player. Don't always take the strongest units going, look at your fleets, and take the units you don't usually use. Try them and see how they do work. Try highlander format lists- only one squadron containing any particular model allowed.

You'll learn far more as a player than you will through any amount of min-maxing.

Who ever said that I didn't mix up my fleet, from time to time. Hell, I have even said earlier in the thread that I have used the old Metzger in the water. Why? Just for the sake of it, and I had the points to spare.

I have a large Prussian collection, and I like to use as much of it as I can. But, there are limits to what I am willing to do, and sacrificing the effectiveness of my fleet, just to play these other models, is not something I am willing to do.

So the really awful units (Jager, Stolz, Reiver, etc...) stay in the box until such times as they get updated, and become useful for once.

Old Metzger was the only exception. Why? Because I could get him into boarding range by towing him, and Robots being immune to AP degradation during the Anti boarding AA, is the most cost effective way to board a dreadnought. Not to capture it, but to soften it up for a follow on attack.

But, that was once in a blue moon I ever took him. And considering how cheap he was, it wasn't that hard to include him.

New Metzger will continue this due to his price tag, and thus a wasted effort in my opinion.

I want to know why the heck the special commodore for the FSA is called a schoolmaster and just what that'll translate to thematically. Taking the birch out and giving someone a good thwacking seems much more like a British thing to do...very boarding school! : P

I must have missed something. How did the metzger change?

We now get an AUFS-B variant, that is more expensive, but much faster in the water, and packing more lightning goodness than the Mk 1. :)

All I'm going to say is that as much as I am looking forward to the new brittanian units, my wife is equally looking forward to these new Prussian units. And as a wargamer of a decade + experience I also have mastered the fine art of determining at a glace the viability of new I units. And I for see the new metzger will be a very popular long term choice that is an excellent option for all sorts of fleets.

Pfft. :( What difference does it make? The very idea of a robot walking along the bottom of the ocean and having any part above the surface is preposterous. There is suspension of disbelief (Sturginium) and then there is pure bull****.

Sorry guys, but the Metzger will never be in my naval fleet regardless of updates. I'm sure you are all heartbroken. ;)

A lot of the North Sea and Englisdh Channel is about 100ft deep. 

So a 200ft Robot wading would look like................er the Sparton waterline model!

At Jutland one of the british battlecruiser (invincilble?) was blown in half; The bow and stern was clear of the water for a while; with the midships end of both halves resting on the seabed. As the wreck flooded; all the compartments filled and the bow and stern finally sank to the bottom.

In shallow seas I have no issues with wading robots.  Since the game makes no allowance for this (easy to do in a scenario or campaign) I say go for it!

Guest Delboy

Oh awesome!

Out of curiosity, when do these become official changes? Are there going to be rule updates available in the downloads section? Or is it an insert in the box sets?

The Tesla Changes and Generator Changes you can use now as I cut+paste them from the document to build the post. Of course you should let your opponents know first and make sure they are happy ;) .....or show them this post and play them unhappy :P .

The rest of the vessels mentioned in the thread will of course require you have the stats, .......which will be available for download once the boxes go on general release......or maybe before, cos we might not be able to contain ourselves! :)

Guest Delboy

I'll be posting the FSA Write up on Wednesday, with the EoBS on Sunday. :)

Both are written but its finding the time to translate it into Forum-Format that is tricky at present......so much to do, so little time..... ;) .

Cheers,

d.

You can email them to me and I will get them into a forum format for you.... ;)

I like the changes for the Prussians even if I won't like going up against that electrical storm gone wild. I know my Prussian buddy is excited about it. Thanks for the write ups, keep them coming! Just brings me closer to the CoA release notes muahahahaha*coughwheeze*hahaha