Guest Delboy

Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread

Thanks again for all of the information, and your hard work on making this a better game.  I haven't yet received my rulebook yet, but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on 'Battle Groups'.  From the PDF, I understand they are a designated force, with the advantage of providing a player with the 'Tally Ho' card (can anyone tell me what that does?).  Is that the extent of the benefit of taking a Battle Group?  Can the 'Tally Ho' card only be played on models form the battle group (thus the need to be able to distinguish these models as specified in the PDF) or are there other benefits?

Finally, are there plans for more 'battle groups' in forthcoming publications, will these be of similar size, or more variable?  And can we expect the benefits to be roughly the same (i.e. a special TAC card)? 

Guest Delboy

Thanks again for all of the information, and your hard work on making this a better game.  I haven't yet received my rulebook yet, but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on 'Battle Groups'.  From the PDF, I understand they are a designated force, with the advantage of providing a player with the 'Tally Ho' card (can anyone tell me what that does?).  Is that the extent of the benefit of taking a Battle Group?  Can the 'Tally Ho' card only be played on models form the battle group (thus the need to be able to distinguish these models as specified in the PDF) or are there other benefits?

Finally, are there plans for more 'battle groups' in forthcoming publications, will these be of similar size, or more variable?  And can we expect the benefits to be roughly the same (i.e. a special TAC card)? 

Hi Pugwash!

Battle Groups are a simple mean by which players can access a powerful Action Card. Both the standard Tally Ho and Operation Shadow Hunter cards are pretty game changing if used well....... or at the very least MUST be canceled by the opponent, netting you more VPs!

Tally Ho cannot be played upon an element not identified as part of that Battle Group [...so you couldnt play the card on a Dreadnought if it wasnt listed in the Battle Group options!] This means that folks need to fnd a way of identifying the members of a Battle Group (either by paint schemes, flags, a mark on the base of the model, etc).

There are lots of new Battle Groups in the pipeline, which will include Heroic and Battle Group Cards! (....there is even a plan to have a Factional Box, slightly larger than the rest that gives folks some models that work across the Factions!.....) The abilities on these cards will allow players to build stronger synergy with the models within the boxes, and will strengthen the storytelling behind the Groups too! The initial Battle Groups are designed to be deliberatley limiting as they correspond to the likley 'first purchase' new players will make in the game. When we designed the contents of these boxes we wanted them to be eclectic, have lots of models in them and show a wide range of gameplay right from the kick off....the TAC inside is a bonus to those players who choose to use the Group as is......but they dont have to if they want to take their List Building in a different direction in time.

Its also worth mentioning that these card-decks within the Battle Group boxes are simply the Generic Deck+2x Battle Group Cards. In time Spartan will be releasing more Decks, with Faction and National Cards included! TACs are an important part of the game, and will grow in time to provide players with more choice and adaptability in-game.

Cheers

d

Guest Delboy

So now that the core nations are out, can we get any rumors or teases of the allied nations?   :D

The Alliance Nations will be out close to Monday the 16th of this month.

I'm away for most of the following week on business for my proper job :( ........ besides I reckon the Betas would like more time to test them. :)

I'd expect that after a week worth of compilation, we will be able to post them by that deadine.

Bear in mind however, these stats will only reflect the models in play at the moment.......the other models the Betas ahve been testing will be made available much later.... :ph34r:

d

Possibly a bit late, but, I had a question with regards to the 'focus' of each nation's forces.

Previously, each nation seemed to have a particular tactical emphasis on Land, Naval or Aerial combat (e.g. the French seemed particularly adept in the air, and were blessed with nasty aerial models).

I think it may have been hinted at by some playtesters, but has that been carried over into 2.0? If so, could you possibly elaborate on where you see each nation's tactical emphases?

Thank you!

Good news but... not ALL of them I hope! I can't see DWABO anymore for some time. :ph34r:

Je comprends...I'm thinking of holding off on releasing an update for Army Builder until the Alliance nations come out, just for my sanity's sake... :ph34r:

The Alliance Nations will be out close to Monday the 16th of this month.

Good news but... not ALL of them I hope! I can't see DWABO anymore for some time. :ph34r:

I feel the same way with BattleScribe.

Although I'll have to update the ones I've already done once I get a copy of the rules as I did them off just the pdfs

One thing that's confused me with the new book (new player here), is "Combined Fire." I get Linking Fire, sort of, but Combined Fire seems to let you use all the AD for a number of weapons without having to half the "linking pool", I think it's called, like you do with Linking Fire, or have I read that wrong?

I just couldn't work out the difference between Linking and Combined, I mean, the way I read it is: Combined lets you use all your AD, but that can't be right.

Hi All,

I think this maybe a silly question but here goes anyway.

With the Release of the States for the Core Nations for DW2.0.  I have found myself wondering what is happening with the Federated States of America's Rocket batteries.

With the Naval Ships.  The Batteries are now range band 1, 2 and 3, thats Fine. 

The Rockets on the Lexingtons do seam to be pretty weak (R1 3, R2 4, R3 5) when compared with the Guilford with (R1 4, R2 5, R3 6) stat line.

Then I looked at the Air and found that instead of the further range bands being the heavy hitters the closer range band was. The Land reverts yet again to a different style of weapon with a Band 2 - 4 with the 2nd range band being the heavy hitter range. What was the thought behind this or is it a typo?

The naval and aerial rockets are the same. RB 1,2,3. The PYB-2 Seaplanes have the same rocket spread as the Guilford and Georgetown. The Lee's have the same spread as the Princeton, and the Valley has two Independence/Enterprise batteries and the New Orleans has two linked Annapolis rocket batteries.

It's only the land units that have reversed rocket batteries, which is fine because land battles are normally shorter ranged with more maneuvering and terrain.

Hi All,

I think this maybe a silly question but here goes anyway.

With the Release of the States for the Core Nations for DW2.0.  I have found myself wondering what is happening with the Federated States of America's Rocket batteries.

With the Naval Ships.  The Batteries are now range band 1, 2 and 3, thats Fine. 

The Rockets on the Lexingtons do seam to be pretty weak (R1 3, R2 4, R3 5) when compared with the Guilford with (R1 4, R2 5, R3 6) stat line.

Then I looked at the Air and found that instead of the further range bands being the heavy hitters the closer range band was. The Land reverts yet again to a different style of weapon with a Band 2 - 4 with the 2nd range band being the heavy hitter range. What was the thought behind this or is it a typo?

With Naval you might have to ( gasp ) not stay at range band 4.

I know its a bit strange to most FSA players, but believe it or not there are 3 other range bands!!!

It will be fun, you will get to see other parts of the table besides your table edge.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

With Naval you might have to ( gasp ) not stay at range band 4.

I know its a bit strange to most FSA players, but believe it or not there are 3 other range bands!!!

It will be fun, you will get to see other parts of the table besides your table edge.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I know not of this range band 3 of which thou speakest of...

Actually I have found that range band 3 is the sweet spot for gunnery. Now that the rockets are matching in hurt I am happy.