Guest Delboy

Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread

The only time I'd think it's not worth it is if you don't want any of the models in it, and only want the rules, which is why the rule book is available on it's own.

Can you link me to the rulebook being offered separately, please? I can only see the 300+ pages version.

Have fortifications changed much under 2.0?

Yes, they have.

The first major changes are in deployment.

- Fortifications are deployed before anything else. They can't move, so the enemy will know where they are. A bunker complex doesn't simply appear at at the same speed as some frigates.

- They've been divided into Land Fortifications, Naval Fortifications and Universal fortifications. As you might guess, land fortifications, such as Infantry bunkers, can only be deployed on land,  naval ones on water, and universal ones on either.  A triumph of  highly original naming, I'm sure you'll agree ;)

In game, they've also had some tweaks.

- Because they are big and immobile, they're easier to hit.

- Because they are big and immobile, and don't have to worry about being very heavy, they're tough. Colliding with them hurts, and  trying to destroy larger fortifications outright isn't easy. Therefore you might want to board them instead. On land, the infantry are rather handy for this- they might not be the fastest unit in the game, but they're faster than a building.

J.

Are the targetting/LOS rules cleaned up like we see in Firestorm? I have to say, it was the most confusing part of the rules trying to determine how much of a ship was in your LOS and did that create modifiers or half your dice. Granted, DW does not have the nice clean post mechanic that Firestorm has, but this aspect of the game really slowed things down.

So can you explain the LOS rules and how that effects firing?

I was just idling wondering, if support aircraft are now models in their own right (and presumably non-capital), is a carrier with it's support aircraft now a valid and complete alliance selection? (Looks longingly at the Fafnir).

I was just idling wondering, if support aircraft are now models in their own right (and presumably non-capital), is a carrier with it's support aircraft now a valid and complete alliance selection? (Looks longingly at the Fafnir).

No bad Prussian

Don't make me get the Forbes!

Hmm... would that make Auzzie Sub tenders a complete allied section (ignoring any changes to the allied rules)

Many thanks for all the efforts and hard work.

A quick question if possible.

With the streamline on TFT. Aren't the new Coa drones a little over powered?

With their standard mar and launching torpedoes and then relaunching full squadrons it's I think a bit much compared to those nation with limited air capabilities.

Just asking if without stepping over the NDA yo might tell us how this is solved.

Are drones much easier to destroy? Are thy lited to squadrons of 4?

The fondue have quick launch? I mean having an ordinance weapon that fires 15 ad any time of the game no matter the damage and hitting on 3+ is if not over powered maaaaaaaybe a little harsh?

Not sure if this has been asked before, but cant the CoA orb still teleport the big hitters or is it just smaller squadrons??

Cheers

matt

I think Delboy said it creates a portal, but the portal can be a two-way street.  Our units can go through but enemy units can come back through to hit us.

I'm not sure exactly if these has been answered, but how does firing at Flying or Diving models work from Surface Models in RB 1, is a Flying unit still considered an invalid target Unless you have the High Angle MAR ? Is there something similar for Submerged?

Is the Sharp Turn MAR still in the game? As a Japanese and Danish player this interests me greatly.

How do Raging Fire/Fire Tokens work now?

I'm quite interested to hear what these Flyer Aces can do as well.

This might be getting specific, but what is this Ghost Ship Generator on the Wani.... and can the Russians steal it  :ph34r: 

Thanks again for answering all these questions, it's very much appreciated.

This might be getting specific, but what is this Ghost Ship Generator on the Wani.... and can the Russians steal it  :ph34r:

Do you mean: Can Mr. Nikonov and his merry band still, uhm... borrow... it? :ph34r:

Guest Delboy

I'll answer in-post Shigematsu!

I'm not sure exactly if these has been answered, but how does firing at Flying or Diving models work from Surface Models in RB 1, is a Flying unit still considered an invalid target Unless you have the High Angle MAR ? Is there something similar for Submerged?

Is the Sharp Turn MAR still in the game? As a Japanese and Danish player this interests me greatly.

Yes. :) 

How do Raging Fire/Fire Tokens work now?

Raging Fire is similar as before, however..... whilst models with AP can suffer casualties as a result of having Raging Fire in the End Phase, should a model have NO AP, they will suffer a point of HP loss instead!.....Assault Points [or Marines] have a secondary duty in-game - that of fire fighters onboard models.....no fire fighters....and the fire rages unchecked doing damage to the model! :o

I'm quite interested to hear what these Flyer Aces can do as well.

Aces allow you a re-roll of a single dice during Attack Runs and Dogfights. This might not sound like much, but it can often tip the balance in these situations! In addition should 2 Aces meet in a Dogfight they will Duel it out! B) 

The Ghost Ship's Generator is a weird thing that makes all attacks against it count as Partially Blocked [half AD], gives the model crazy defences against boarding [since the assault parties aren't sure exactly where the ship is!!] and makes it impossible to Ram the model [for much the same reasons!]......Its certainly possible the Russians might be able to 'steal/mimic' the Ghost Phase Generator....... the EoBS should probably work hard to make sure this doesn't happen! :blink:  :blink: 

Thanks again for answering all these questions, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers,

d

Guest Delboy

What can you tell us about the new units in the shadowhunter box?

Hi theonegunslinger!

The Box is out there in the public domain so I CAN talk about the contents!

FSA

Force-wide Rule - All Forces have at lest one rule that applies across their Forces. For the FSA, all Capital Models have the Sharpshooters MAR......making them particularly nasty when in RB1. Sharpshooters has a dual use....1)Kill AP on a target model you are planning to board later.... 2) Kill AP on a target model that poses a threat to your forces.......very useful! :)

Liberty Heavy Battleship - "The New Colossus"

A bruiser of a model that should be around at the end of the game handing out firepower.

It keeps the DR+1 that FSA players are used to allowing the +1 to soak all bar focused attacks.

It has a Rocket Battery as standard, but can swap this out depending on its intended roles. As a Long Range Pounder [LRP] it is probably best to keep the Rockets. As a Mid Range Scrapper [MRS] where it will be moving into RB2+3 to deliver its punishing gunnery, players might want to swap out for the external Shield [3] Generator. As a Close Range Brawler [CRB] is can swap out for a Kinetic Generator and might even decide to upgrade its Regular Crew to Elite!

In terms of Weapons, the Liberty has a Fore+Aft Main Turret [blessed with the Sustained Fire MAR], some Fore and Aft Volley Guns*, some Broadsides and of course if taken, the Rocket Battery.

*Volley Guns are now a separate weapon system. They cannot execute Firing Actions with anything other than themselves, but the always have the Redoubtable and High Angle MARs. With the game moving towards a more 'combined arms concept' this is important as the FSA are now considered to be rivalling the RoF for dominance of the skies as they possess efficient Aerial Assets, SAW and of course ground support from their Volley Guns!*

Boston Attack Submarine [...and Turtle Assault Subs!...] - The Hidden Hammer

This new model gives FSA players a chance to get their hands on a submarine for the first time! The Boston looks fantastic and of course allows the player to deploy mini-subs too!

The model has access to some punishing Fore Guns [....with Devastating Munitions] and a Node Projector that can fire at RB2+3. The Fore Guns are of course sexy :wub: . ..... but the synergy of the model comes from its use with the rest of the fleet....

Surface ....launch Disruption Node at target to knock out the targets Shields....  Pound the unshielded target with Devastating Munitions....... and then the the rest of the FSA Fleet have their fun with the target!!! :D  :D .......oh and don't forget to try to dive beneath the waves once more! ;) ....then rinse and repeat.

With the FSA gaining Aerial Dominance in earlier turns, most SAS Torpedo Bombers in the enemy fleet should be neutralised, ensuring this model will set up the rest of the fleet to finish off troublesome targets that rely upon their generators to defend or deflect.

The mini Turtles are a nice addition too. Small and inoffensive these guys lurk beneath the waves until the enemy are close..... then they strike, pouring forwards with Reckless abandon to prize/derelict a target. I tend to find I use them defensively a often as not, targeting a model with high AP, and sending them in on a suicide run to clear the AP early..... its surprising how folks react when their Dreadnought loses 3-4 AP from a unit that cost nothing..... :P

Georgetown Cruiser - The Workhorse of the Fleet!

Uses a very strong turret [with sustained Fire!] to pound apart the enemy as they engage. In mush the same way as the HBB, the Georgetowns provide adaptability with the option to place Rockets, Shields or Kinetics on the model. Coming in at about the same cost as the HBB, the 3xmodel Squadron is best used close to its larger parent, providing punishing firepower and screening to the HBB.

The model also has a lot of AP!.....so players who wish to use this aggressively can do so [...adding the Kinetics for giggles!....] AND the model may upgrade ot have Stoic Crew.....[meaning they gain a degree of resistance to being boarded themselves.

Overall, an excellent model for the points!

Augusta Frigate - The Gunboat

This is a non-Capital model as you might expect!

The model has  Fore+Aft Volley guns, making it a devastating short range killer against flyers!

The model has been re-tasked as a gun-boat rather and so lost AP, but that hardly matters to a model that has its firepower remain the same until death, has +1DR [drawing more firepower away from the rest of the fleet, and can target flyers aggressively to strengthen the FSA Aerial Dominance I mentioned before!

Revere Corvette - Hard Charges

I think its fair to say these guys were .....well..... pants! But with AP being taken from the Augusta, the Revere gained it!

As with most Corvettes the crew are Reckless head-cases, with no care for their own survival..... they ARE on a corvette after all, a vessel not know for its durability in the universe!

The model has a Volley Gun for more anti-air capability and of course comes in squadrons of 2-5!!!! [not 2-4 as before....]

With 10AP worth of Reckless cowboys shouting yee-ha and shooting wildly at anything in range, these models are a great addition to the fleet.

Used offensively, they are to be feared. Used defensively they can cut the heart out of a boarding rush.

The models move FAST too. Although it takes a degree of planning on the FSA player's part, a Revere can cross 14"+3" in a turn due to their Advanced Engines. Add the 4" to the boarding range..... and you have a first strike unit that works well on the flanks, sowing chaos and confusion!

SAS - The final piece

The FSA SAW are focused upon their Fighters and Dive Bombers, who gain special the Vertical Dive and Big Fuel Tanks MARs respectively.

The fighters when mounting an Attack Run increase their DR to 3, not 2.... the Dive Bombers when targeted by an Interception Attack increase their DR to 3, not 2......all of which allows the FSA player to get their SAS to the target to deliver the punishment they deserve!

Don't panic.....they also have access to Torp Bombers and Recon Planes too..... but they don't get sexy rules so I'll ignore them here!

Its also worth pointing out that the Fighters and Dive Bombers can have Aces too!....further reinforcing their importance in the fleet!

Conclusion

So.....as you can see the Shadow Hunter models for the FSA provides a number of synergistic opportunities, encourages Combined Arms and broadens the gameplay considerably. ....there is also a ton of toyz..... which is nice! :D

OK, so that's a brief run down of the FSA in the Shadow Hunter Box. I'll do the EoBS in a day or so!

Cheers

d

OK, so that's a brief run down of the FSA in the Shadow Hunter Box. I'll do the EoBS in a day or so!

I gotta admit I was a little sad when I got to the bottom of that post and saw no EotBS section......still if theres a similar wall of text coming I can understand the need to take a breather before starting to get it all down :D

Thanks again for all of the hints and previews you guys are dropping here, it's very much appreaciated.

Just a quick one, can you give any info on the scenarios in this edition? Will there be any campaign rules included at all?

Guest Delboy

I gotta admit I was a little sad when I got to the bottom of that post and saw no EotBS section......still if theres a similar wall of text coming I can understand the need to take a breather before starting to get it all down :D

Thanks again for all of the hints and previews you guys are dropping here, it's very much appreaciated.

Just a quick one, can you give any info on the scenarios in this edition? Will there be any campaign rules included at all?

The core game mechanic within the Rulebook allows for Scenario Creation within its confines, and the first supplement after the 3 Faction Books will have a scenario Generator and Campaign Rules system!

d

The core game mechanic within the Rulebook allows for Scenario Creation within its confines, and the first supplement after the 3 Faction Books will have a scenario Generator and Campaign Rules system!

d

3 Faction books?  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Grand Coalition, Imperial Bond, Independent Nations/Free Companies?