We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Guest Delboy

Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread

Guest Delboy

Mr. Darcy, you are the man!

D-boy, one last question (tricky one): i have always find weird that rules dont give any reason to build "not full" units and nobody fields for example unit of 3 destroyers unless they absolutely must because of lack of points. Same with 3 frigates, 2 cruisers etc. So, any change with that in 2.0? What I am hoping for is a reason to field smaller units without feel that I am putting myself in disadvantege from the start of the game. Thanks.

Good players often take smaller units in reserve.

Take Corvettes in 2.0

As a Prizing Force they are strong in full squadrons, but in units of 3 say, they are perfect for Prize denial, boarding the enemy Prize Crew and recklessly throwing their lives away to ensure the enemy doesn't score 2xVP....and if any survive.... you only lose 1/2VP from the Lost model....

Small Squadrons of Tanks are another good example of Activation->Pressure in-game.

using them to methodically pick off other Smalls using a crippling activation count.

Paired Light Cruisers [...did I mention them before....I forget....] are brutal Destroyer Hunters, capable of sinking a Squadron of these Hard-Hitters down to the point whereby their effectiveness is greatly reduced.

In the time we all have with 1.1, I suggest folks try playing a few games where you take the unit minimums rather than the maximums.....it provides an very interesting game, where you learn lots of interactions and pressure points in fleets.

I hope that rather rambling comment answers your questions?....kinda ;)

d

Delboy, I have one hopefully simple question.

Are all factions should we expect to see in the new rule book?  IE are core factions in the rule book and updated PDFs for other factions later?
Sorry if this has already been answered, I've looked and perhaps missed it.

Thanks

The main aspect of DW 1.2 that held me back was the pace of the game. It just took too long to play. Even battlebox forces would take hours to finish. So trying to meet up with a friend after work and get in a game at the LGS wasn't viable. We tried. But we could never finish before the store closed up.

So I'd like to know what improvements were made that directly impact game pace. For example, one of the issues were figuring out targeting numbers. The old system was just so complex and took a considerable amount of time to work out every turn.

Yes. Primary Weapons gain considerable bonuses in Line of Sight and have the ability of use Indirect Fire.

d

Hi Delboy,

this urges me to ask about the Line of Sight - is it still non-reciprocal? Can some model have diferent LoS with different weapons? Does terrain still block line of sight in the same way as it did? Are there any restrictions about LoS in RB1 and with different height levels?

And now completedly different question. Is the wording of the new rules idiot-proof so even non-native speakers like me can understand the rules correctly? 1.1 rules were sometime bit confusing.

Thanks

I am interested in the FSA. They have so many models now and the starter set has at least three.

I am wondering how they will be affected generally. E.g., if the LOS rules make a difference (surface to surface) does this hurt or help FSA AD at long range., I saw that the AP is likely lower and the Air units may have more. Other than the link mechanics (no small thing for a gun heavy fleet) were there FSA specific changes (the higher DR for example)?

The robot boarding changes may make the FSA weaker or maybe not, but I like the changes.

Lastly, if known and in your purview-- I assume the battle groups will be available in box sets.  `seems obvious but...

There will still be the old box sets?

These new rules do sound really cool!

What will players need, other than the new rulebook, to fully play Version 2? I will be getting the new starter set but may not be able to afford that and the spiffy Commodore edition right away.

Will there be Battle Groups (BGs) made up of current models? 

Is there a core deck of cards, that you add to based on your BGs? Was this answered earlier, if so, sorry, I missed it. There are a LOT of posts on V2, understandably. I hope Delboy isn't getting hoarse.

i know the new rulebook pages are maxed out, so it is what it will be. 

Some of the aids that were most helpful in learning the game and speeding up play were the appendix by iamgraef and the quick reference charts by santrix.  I was hoping to see something like a quick reference chart in the new rules. A separate product, a PDF?, would be perhaps more useful.

So thanks Delboy (and the others too!) for all the answers already, I'm really psyched for DW2, and can't wait to try it!

I must say the cards look at least interesting, contrary to the previous ones. Seems like a nice change.

Also, which stats will be in the corebook? Only core nations or will it include Alliance Nations too?

Now some EotBS questions

- Is the Zarigani a diving robot at last?

- Can the Raijin drop Zariganis as seen on the model?

- How did the Nakatsu change?

- Did my beloved Tanuki change?

- What about the Inari / Onryo?

- What about Yuko Sasaki's special card power? Does it still exist?

Thanks!

Time to add a few more questions I think :)

Has the Fresnel eag gen changed/been removed?

What are the new rules for particle accelerators?

How have infantry rules changed?

What are the new terrain rules?

What are the changes to line of sight?

How badly had the Euclid been smacked with the nerf bat?

Will there be new nation starter boxes and when will they appear?

Will the fsa sub be available outside of shadow hunter?

What has been done to the ottoman and black wolf fleets?

Are Spartan aware that they will be morally responsible for the bankruptcy of so many people when off the resin hits the shelves?

Guest Delboy

Wait! What about Light cruiser ? Oo

A Light Cruiser is a Medium model that is NOT Capital.

These models are not impeded by the Small Target limitation, making them excellent for hunting high cost smalls capable of devastating a battle line [...like Orions, Stolz, Plutarchs, etc]

d

Guest Delboy

Can you give more information on the new terrain rules? 

Have the line of sight rules between surface vessels & flyers with intervening terrain changed since V1.1?

The terrain rules are completely different. It would take far too long to cover here!

There are Mountains, Sandbars, Roads, Hills, Islands, etc....all with common rules that function slightly differently depending on Theatre/Models involved......just don't....whatever you do.....collide with any....! :P

d

Guest Delboy

With battlegroups can you give an example of how they are built or do they function like battalions in armored clash

Its a good question.

Battle Groups are designed to give a player a flexible and adaptive collection of elements that will improve the long term gameplay of their forces.

Take the FSA Shadow Hunter Battle Group.

It has: A Heavy Battle Ship, an Support Submarine with Attack Subs, Cruisers, Frigates and Corvettes along with its own squadron of 5xSAW [one of which can be upgraded to be an Ace!]

Most experienced players would probably think to take these models in most fleets, as it gives a good mix of raw firepower and boarding potential...... but by taking them in the correct numbers you would get the free 5xSAW AND access to a specific TAC that synergises well with all the models in the group.

In Clash, the synergy is certainly there in most cases, but there is no advantage beyond that - in DW the change to take the TAC as well should not be understated.

Hope that answers your question [although as usual I've no doubt it poses a few more!]

Cheers,

d