Sign in to follow this  
Banatine

Have I Missed Something About The Coa Bunker?

At first i thought it was great. It was really fragile compared to other bunkers, but it made up for that by having 3 energy turrets so that it could lay some serious hurt on things before they broke it.

Until i discovered that that middle 'turret' isn't actually a turret at all (still have no idea what the hell it is) and now i find myself thinking what on is it actually good for?

So, can anyone tell me why i should EVER actually use this thing over, say, an Epicurus, or hell, even a daedalus would be more useful, at least it can cut through shields!

The top turret is supposed to be the Target Painter, I think, which has range into RB2, instead of RB1 like normal.

On top of that, you have the potential for a 12AD Energy Turret attack, 1AD less than a Prometheus gets, but it sustains that firepower into RB4 much better than a Prometheus can, mainly due to having one less turret, and also due to Redoubtable.

On top of that, it gets the usual fortification advantages - immune to Rockets and Torpedoes (sorry Brits, FSA and EotBS), is more resistant to boarding, and it also has a much wider potential fire arc than other bunkers - generally, Bunker Complexes can only fire their main weapons into the front 90 degrees. The CoA one has max fire into that arc too, but it has an overall arc of 270 deg, giving it less of a blind spot.

I suppose the question of "is it useful" is similar to the one asked of other fortifications - does it have a place in your tactics? In a game where you're forced to fight defensively, I think I could see its use, but for a standard battle, for my own tactics, I'd probably be better off taking that extra Archimedes or squad of Destroyers instead.

That's not to say that it can't be useful in the right situation...

A TPG with extended range is always nice, especially with an extended deployment zone. You can be highlighting ships on the first turn if you are really aggressive, and once lit up even larger ships will take heavy damage.

Hi, I don't post often but I was just wondering about the CoA bunker also. I am getting a feebie with the Corinthian deal and was trying to work out if it was a typo showing two turrets when the model actually shows 3. Is the argument that the third or middle turret actually a target painter still true?

Cheers

Hi, I don't post often but I was just wondering about the CoA bunker also. I am getting a feebie with the Corinthian deal and was trying to work out if it was a typo showing two turrets when the model actually shows 3. Is the argument that the third or middle turret actually a target painter still true?

Cheers

No, no typo - the Target Painter is just listed as internal now, making it immune to targeted strikes.

vHRb7N9.jpg