We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

dinglehammer

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Tarakian

Thanks.  I wanted to stretch myself on color and try to come up with a look different from my usual color schemes and methods of painting.  Lots of fun with washes on this one.  I'm working on Terquai right now, which are the fire to this color scheme's ice.

Here's the Tarakian frigates and the whole assembled fleet.

gallery_268_506_22846.jpg

gallery_268_506_10289.jpg

The discussion regarding a fix for the Tarakian stats to make them a bit more in line with their back story seems to have died.  In the interest of getting things going again, I thought I’d submit a few ideas with the caveat that I have not yet had the opportunity to playtest.

- Back story:  The Tarakians ran from somebody a very long time ago, and rather than continuing to run, established the interstellar equivalent of the Maginot Line.  Why they chose to do it in our little corner of the galaxy is anybody's guess, but they're here, and until they joined the Kurak Alliance, no one in their right mind had engaged them in open warfare. 

- What we know from the Spartan blog entries: 

• Tarakian ships, “are strong and resilient, and appear to utilize a particularly deadly form of artificial gravity field projection system as their primary weaponry.”
  • Their weapons, "are far more devastating at greater ranges than any other vessels currently in space."
  • For FTL, Tarakians are, “transported with some technology other than the Fold Space Drives used by other races”, which allows them to, “disappear in the blink of an eye.”
  • The Ganak, "serve as mobile dominions <for a Tarakian Lord>, acting with great autonomy while away from the Citadel Worlds."
  • The Ganak’s, “extensive auxiliary craft bays allow them to provide small craft support to their attached fleets as well as limited medical and repair assistance.”
  • Tarakian worlds are, “generally harsh planets are studded with massive fortresses of stone and metal, ringed with sophisticated shielding and defensive installations.”

With those narrative descriptions, we have some ideas to build on.  To keep things relatively simple, I'm only looking at changing stats, AD, and MARs.  I'm using MARs from both DW and FA to give a bit more freedom (what's good enough for DW is good enough for FA).

Generic Traits

To start, I want to look at the generic traits that are described as common to Tarakian vessels:  Strong and Resilient.  HP, DR, and CR strike me as the place to start.  Using the Ganak as our example, and looking at the big six’s BBs, the range is as follows:

• HP:  8 - 10
  • DR:  6 - 7
  • CR:  10 - 12

Lets then assume that we give the Ganak (and by extension all Tarakian vessels) the max for their size class, so HP10, DR7, CR12.  I originally thought this might be a bit over the top, but then I looked at the Syndicate and Omnidyne BBs and realized this isn’t much of a stretch.

For the Resilient piece, my mind goes to an ability to survive/repair crits and to keep firepower even as you lose HP.  I'll address the firepower later in the weapons discussion.  For Crits, I'm thinking about the Protected Systems is a good fit, especially with the increased CR.  Alternately, Experienced Engineers could be a reasonable replacement.  For now, I’ll stick with Protected Systems.

Regarding the "sophisticated shielding" statement, I think the increased DR/CR plus a SHIELDS=2 for the Ganak and SHIELDS=1 for the smaller ships would cover us.

There are also the comments about the Tarakian Citadel Worlds and the fact that the Tarakian Lords use the Ganak as a mobile fortress.  Again, I think the improved DR/CR helps solidify the feel, but we also need to consider Boarding.  After all, you wouldn't want your floating fortress to survive ranged fire only to be taken in a boarding action by three asthmatic chihuahuas now would you?  No, of course not.  That's why I think the Impervious MAR is a must for the Ganak, but optional for the smaller classes (no Tarakian Lords onboard).  To balance this, and represent that the Tarakians build thick walls to keep enemy soldiers as far away as possible, we put their AP at the bottom end of the spectrum.

Weapons

Now for the fun stuff, weapons!  The Tarakian Gravity Beam (G-beam) is supposed to be longer ranged and more devastating than pretty much anything used by the younger races.  This strikes me as having the greatest probability of throwing balance right out the window, but is critical to accurately representing their advanced weapons.  Again using the Ganak as our example and looking at the big guns of the big six’s BBs, most AD peak at RB2 somewhere between 14 and 16 AD.  This assumes linking on ships with Turrets and/or the Firing Solution MAR. 

I propose making the G-beam the main weapon of the Tarakians.  On the Sulan and Tarl this just requires re-stating the Fore weapon, but on the Ganak it also means significantly reducing the broadsides.  To start, lets shift the G-beam’s peak AD out to RB3 to cover the increased range portion of the narrative.  For the “devastating”, I think MARs help to really establish flavor more than strict AD boosts.  To that end, I propose that we bring in the Devastating Ordinance MAR from DW.  Per the MAR list posted on the Spartan site:

Devastating Ordinance

Any 6 on the FIRST roll of any Attack Dice (AD) from an Attack that includes at least one weapon with the Devastating Ordnance Model Assigned Rule, results in TWO extra D6 being rolled.  Any subsequent 6’s result in ONE extra D6 as normal. If NO weapon is listed, the Devastating Ordnance MAR is applied to ALL weapons on the model.

To bring the “resilient” trait in from the narrative, I also propose that we give the G-beam the Redoubtable MAR from DW.  Per the MAR list posted on the Spartan site:

Redoubtable

Any weapon with the Redoubtable Model Assigned Rule only reduces its Attack Dice (AD) by 1 for every 2 Hull Points (HP) of Damage taken. If NO weapon is listed, the Redoubtable MAR is applied to ALL weapons on the model.

I’m going to assign the following total costs for putting these two MARs on the ships:

Ganak = +40pts

Sulan = +20pts

Tarl = +5pts (no Redoubtable)

For the Fire Arc, I was thinking of making the G-beam a Fore weapon on the Ganak and Tarl but keeping it as Fore (fixed) on the Sulan.  The rationale is simply that Sulan model only has one “prong” modeled on the front of the fig.  If we assume that the majority of the front assembly is for the G-beam, and that the long prongs on the front are used for directing the G-beam attacks, then it appears the Sulan doesn’t have the same ability to direct the weapon as the Ganak and the Tarl.

Ship Specifics

On the Ganak, given the narrative about the Tarakian Lords being onboard and how these are treated as mobile domains, I think the Pride of the Fleet MAR is in order.  I also plan to leave the Repair Shuttles and Medical Shuttles MARs in place since it matches the narrative.

On the Sulan, I’m thinking that the Impervious MAR is needed, but let’s make it optional for say, +5pts per ship. 

Proposed Stats & Cost

Taking all I’ve gone over so far and feeding that plus a few other details into the Spartan ship builder gives us (rounding cost up to nearest 5’s):

<edit>  forum didn't like my tables so having to strip things down a bit.

Ganak

Cost 230 pts

DR 7; CR 12; Mv 6"; HP 10; CP 8; AP 3; PD 8; MN 0; SH 2; Wing 4

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam 8/12/14/8

Starboard/Port 6/8/4/2

Fore Torps 5/5/5/5

Stbd/Port Torps 5/5/5/5

MARs:  Protected Systems, Pride of the Fleet, Medical Shuttles, Repair Shuttles, Impervious, Redoubtable (G-Beam), Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

Sulan

Cost 90 pts

DR 5; CR 8; Mv 8"; HP 5; CP 4; AP 2; PD 4; MN 0; SH 1; Wing 0

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam (Fixed) 4/5/7/4

Fore Torps 5/5/5/5

Stbd/Port Torps 3/3/3/3

MARs:  Protected Systems, Redoubtable (G-Beam), Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

May purchase the Impervious MAR for +5 pts per model.

Tarl

Cost 35 pts

DR 3; CR 6; Mv 10"; HP 2; CP 2; AP 1; PD 2; MN 0; SH 1; Wing 0

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam 2/3/4/2

Stbd/Port Torps 2/2/2/2

MARs:  Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

I think after some playtesting you should submit these to The Black Ocean for the player-made ship document. The optional MAR's for a price are a good idea, I liked the torpedo one from MotR campaign book and a little customization can go a long way.

The optional MAR comes straight from DW and is fairly common on most cruiser-class ships.  Sadly, I don't have much gaming time at the moment or I'd have playtested before posting.  I had hoped to get them on the table this Thursday, but work schedule shot that down along with any chance of testing next week.  If you or anyone else on the forum gets a chance to try them out, I'd sure like an independent assessment.

At the moment I think they may be over-priced, but I'm going conservative until I can see just how the Devastating Ordinance plays out on them.  Adjusting cost and AD on the G-beam will most likely be needed.  As an alternate Ganak build, I was thinking it might be fun to pull the Starboard/Port AD (not torps) entirely and instead replace them with boosted PD and the Point Defense Barrage MAR.  That would put a lot of MARs on the Ganak, but it would really give them a distinctive feel.  I'm also thinking about dropping the Ganak's Wings to 0.  Using fighters just doesn't seem within the fluff of this race given their propensity for building fortresses and such.

Thoughts? 

they are ancients and thus are set in their ways

Achtung, antropocentric beliefs ahoy! :P

Joking aside, I think they look okay at the first glance, their AD does not differ (in fact, is higher thansome) from basic outlines for each size class. Not liking the token torps on sulans, but I guess something has to drive the price up ;)

@Stingray - Yeah, I know the DO MAR is iffy, but just boosting AD is soooooooooo boring.  I wanted to give them something distinctive, something to add flavor.  I fully admit tweaking the G-beam's AD is going to be needed to get the right amount of punch.

@Pok - I went back and forth quite a bit on the P/S torps for the Sulan.  Their original stats give them the same torp load-out as the Ganak, which seemed a lot given the actual amount of torp tubes modeled on the fig's port and starboard sides.  I also thought it helped drive home the idea that Tarakians put most of their firepower into the fore arc rather than broadsides and prefer to rely on their G-beams.  From a game-play perspective however, I agree they're somewhat anemic.  Given my druthers, I'd up the Ganak to 6AD of torps all around and then give the Sulan 6 in the fore and 4 on the p/s.  If I do that however, I think we might need to drop the max squadron size on the Sulan from 4 to 3.

Can someone please explain the best use of the Ganak. I bought it on looks and now i dont even want to field it.  I would rather just take 60% in medium and 40% in small craft to make my fleet until a new heavy is released.

What is the best use of having 8 CP and 8 PD?  Do I use this thing to baby sit long range vessels while I rush assaulting vessels forward?  I love the model but the trules are frankly sad when I see the price tag of 200 points.  When I look at the Hawker industries BB at 180 im just plain confused by the Ganak.  If I dont take a large capitol am I shooting myself in the foot?

Also on another note how effective are torpedoes now?  SInce I seem to have a large amount of them available to me in the Kurak Alliance.

I had a chance to play test my stat mods tonight. Game was definitely interesting since my opponent played Relthoza. We used the Stealth Systems MAR on the Relthoza, which totally negated the Tarakian's range advantage.

Relthoza had 1x Battleship, one squadron of 2x Cruisers, one squadron of 2x Heavy Cruisers, one squadron of 2x Shunt Cruisers, and two squadrons of 4x frigates.

Tarakians had 1 Ganak, one squadron of 4x Sulan, and two squadrons of 3x Frigates.

No Flights were used and no boarding occurred. We used the 70% destroyed victory condition.

This was a pitched battle throughout with the Relthoza owning the early game but the Tarakian's staying power gave them the late game. In the end, we both had equal VP and whomever killed one of the remaining cruisers would win. The Tarakians got there first, but it was by no means a sure thing.

I'd like to try these stats again with a different fleet that doesn't have Cloaks and Stealth systems to see if the balance holds.

I don't have a play by play, but it went something like this:

Table was 4x4, with an 8" deployment zone.

Relthoza ® deployed (from the Tarakian perspective) from right to left Shunt Cruisers, Frigates, Battleship (about centered on table edge), Heavy Cruisers, Cruisers, and then Frigates.  Overall the force was deployed most heavily center-left with the Shunt Cruisers (SC) off to the far right.

Tarakians (T) deployed just left of center with the Tarl squadrons deployed immediately to either side of the Ganak and then the Sulan in a square formation just to the left of the Tarls.  I went with a compact fleet distribution in keeping with the T's fortification themes.

The Shunt Cruisers made an early kill by jumping near perfectly into the starboard flank of the T's right-most Tarl squadron.  They destroyed one Tarl and damaged another in turn 1.

From there the remaining ships slowly closed in on one another with first one and then another Sulan being destroyed in the next two turns while the R Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers slowly accumulated damage and crits.

The tide turned in the T's favor when the Ganak's G-beam finally got into RB2 of the R Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers, and no longer had to worry about re-rolling successes.  At that point the few HP of damage already spread across the R ships became a real liability with both of the Heavy Cruisers going down on turns 3 and 4, as well as one of the Cruisers and a Shunt Cruiser.

By this time the T fleet was reduced to the Ganak, 2 Sulan, and one squadron of 2 Tarls while the R had their Battleship, both intact Frigate squadrons, a Shunt Cruiser, and a Cruiser.  These remaining ships were further whittled down in the next few turns with the R Cruiser, most of the R Frigates, and one of the Tarls being destroyed.

This was the point at which we were down to whomever could kill the next Cruiser would win.  The Shunt Cruiser was undamaged and doing its best to dance around the table while the Sulans were both sporting 3 HP of damage and doing everything they could to make shield saves.  Meanwhile the "little Tarl that could" raced madly around the remaining R Frigates trying to pick them off while simultaneously making god-like shield saves. 

Both Battleships were poorly positioned by this point and just took RB1 pot-shots at eachother, with each having taken 1 HP of damage by the end of the game.

In the end, the Sulans were able to close range on the Shunt Cruiser and took it out, which put the T over the 70% VP threshold.

Just had a chance to do my second playtest of the Tarakian redux.  Yes, my gaming schedule sucks so badly that my only opportunities were 2 months apart.  :(

I kept the Tarakian fleet exactly the same as the first time for consistency.  This time I played against a Syndicate fleet of 1 Phantom, 1x Ryushi Onnisha, 2x Spur, 2x Terquai Makalu, and 6x Raider Outlaw (so, Syndicate with Terquai, Ryushi, and Marauder allies).

This game started well for my Tarakians, but ended poorly.  In Turn 1 the Tarakians (T) managed to take 6 of the 7 HP off of the Onnisha with their G-beams and Torps. 

In Turn 2 however, everything went pear-shaped quickly.  The 6 outlaws swooped in and boarded a Sulan.  I was able to destroy the Onnisha, but it took the concerted fire of both Tarl squadrons to do it.  A Flight of Bombers ended the turn by swooping in and putting a crit on an already crippled Sulan, reducing me to only 2 remaining Sulan.

Turn 3 went little better, with the T managing to take out one of the Makalu, but otherwise not doing much.  Meanwhile, the Phantom got in and fired 16 AD at the Ganak, scoring a handy Crit despite the Ganak's high CR and shields.  The one positive point was that the Ganak did manage to make it's Protected Systems roll, though this was the first successful Protected Systems roll of the entire game.

Turn 4 we played out a last few moves, but I called it at the end since both Sulan's were badly damaged and the Ganak had 7 damage on it.

I think my rolls did me no favors during this game, but it also revealed that the stats need to be reworked.  Will update this post in a bit with more thoughts.

In the philosophy of keeping it simple without breaking the point values too much, I've came up with an idea of simply giving the Tarakians maximum DR and CR on their ships for their respective classes according to the old build rules.  Since my job requires me to work on my usual gaming nights for this month and the next would anyone be interested in playtesting this?

The ships MAR's and stats would be as is in the books but with the following changes.

Ganak would have DR 7 and CR 12

Sulans would be DR 5 and CR 8

Tarls would have DR 4 and CR 6

The proposed stats that I playtested already have those DR/CR, plus boosts from Shields and all the other fun weapon stuff.  The problem I found was that it wasn't enough to really make them viable.  They're a pain to kill, but their damage output still isn't enough for the cost. 

Here's what I've found so far in my playtest:

MARs that require a 5/6 to work (Repair Shuttles, Medical Shuttles) aren't particularly useful.  Yes, there's some flavor, but that's all. 

Points for range 3/4 torps are kind of wasted on these ships, especially in the port and starboard arcs.  If the big, themed gun is the G-Beam, and that's forward facing, then broadsides should only really come into play once you've closed with the enemy.

The Devastating Ordinance MAR is a very minor improvement.  It gives some flavor, but in practical terms doesn't seem to have a major influence on damage output.

The ships were definitely over-priced.

Moving forward, I want to drop the added cost for the Dev Ord MAR since that seems to be part of the problem.  I also want to drop the range on the torps with a slight boost to the number of AD.  That'll give the following stats:

Ganak

Cost 180 pts

DR 7; CR 12; Mv 6"; HP 10; CP 8; AP 3; PD 8; MN 0; SH 2; Wing 4

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam 8/12/14/8

Starboard/Port 6/8/4/2

Fore Torps 8/8/-/-

Stbd/Port Torps 8/8/-/-

MARs:  Protected Systems, Pride of the Fleet, Medical Shuttles, Repair Shuttles, Impervious, Redoubtable (G-Beam), Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

Sulan

Cost 65 pts

Squadron of 1-3 Ships

DR 5; CR 8; Mv 8"; HP 5; CP 4; AP 2; PD 4; MN 0; SH 1; Wing 0

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam (Fixed) 4/6/8/4

Fore Torps 6/6/-/-

Stbd/Port Torps 6/6/-/-

MARs:  Protected Systems, Redoubtable (G-Beam), Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

May purchase the Impervious MAR for +5 pts per model.

Tarl

Cost 30 pts

Squadron of 2-5 Ships

DR 3; CR 6; Mv 10"; HP 2; CP 2; AP 1; PD 2; MN 0; SH 1; Wing 0

RB 1/2/3/4

Fore G-Beam 2/3/4/2

Stbd/Port Torps 4/4/-/-

MARs:  Devastating Ordinance (G-Beam)

I love this race and their ships, and further, I love reading all of the suggestions that you guys are coming up with for the fleet's facelift.

I would approach this race in the following manner: Work on the Sulans first - this would be the blueprint, so to speak, of what the overall ships would look like and play like.

There seems to be various suggestions that all have considerable merit as to the direction and playability of the fleet. A combination of all suggestions would be rather difficult, but a clear overview, as established by the fluff in V1, can easily be followed.

Finally, this fleet should be able to stand on their own 2 feet without any assistance from other Kurak allies. This is key imo, mainly due to the fluff surrounding this background....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.