tank0625

Official Marauders & Mercenaries Thread: The Pathogen

The X9-V ships are Relthoza ships. I'm assuming that X9-V could be from any race. So why did they use Relthoza ships? Is it answered in the new book? Do the ships have similar stats to the Relthoza ships? Thank you.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT! Great, I'm just about to go to bed so I will have nightmares tonight.

I can see where you get the parallels. Maybe the fungus and the X9-V have the same mission.

WHAT THE HECK IT THAT! Great, I'm just about to go to bed so I will have nightmares tonight.

I can see where you get the parallels. Maybe the fungus and the X9-V have the same mission.

Sweet dreams! :lol:

Yep, nature is pretty weird. Zombie ants. Who would have thought.

Thanks. After a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey it went better.

This could make very interesting alliances. Maybe Dinz and Terran ships fighting together against X9-V ships.

And bees. Let us not forget about mind controlled bees.

(also, this is why you do not wait to give AI's civil rights. An organic will organize a protest or throw stones, angry AI will fabricate a nanoplague.)

And bees. Let us not forget about mind controlled bees.

(also, this is why you do not wait to give AI's civil rights. An organic will organize a protest or throw stones, angry AI will fabricate a nanoplague.)

Good point.

Could be that the virus originates somewhere in Relthozan space, therefore the ships they would have access to would be those. They are a techno virus right? So possibly something created by the Relthoza? I pictured them more like the Flood from Halo, some terrible outside force discovered in the far reaches of the galaxy and accidentally brought back. The galaxy is a big place full of many secrets... not all of which should be found.

Actually the MotR fluff basically states that they were created by Omnidyne systems. Not intentionally (fully) - but an experiment with nano-enhanced torpedos went wrong and instead of just destroying the test ship they were firing on they released something that...ate it.

As for why the look Relthoza like - that's kind of a mystery. At a guess I'd say the first infected ship might have simply warped straight into Relthoza space (by accident or intention is another story) and simply 'ate' in that direction. Perhaps, oddly enough, being masters of nanotech the Relthoza were more​ susceptible to their attacks as their ships already were 'infected' (albeit in a friendly way) with nanobots that could be absorbed more easily.

Zak

I almost hate to ask but will anyway...will any Pathogen models be released for this faction this year? It kinda helps to know so I don't proxy models and then the real deal comes out the next week. I really like the look of this faction and its playstyle looks interesting. Hope they are on the horizon somewhere.

It seems to me like Pathogen will be most dangerous for the Aquans. Aquans like to be in knife-fighting range, but kind of suck at boarding actions. Other factions who like to be up close and personal, like Sorylians, would at least do a better job of defending themselves when it finally does come to boarding actions.

I've got to tell you... I think if I were facing these guys with my Aquans, I might try to rely on flights of bombers. Send the bombers out while my main ships - the ones in danger of being eaten by the enemy - hang back and use their superior speed and mobility to snipe them out.

But, seriously... I don't know how the Aquan Prime is supposed to handle these guys...

As an Aquan player, I'm terrified of running into a Pathogen fleet.   Fortunately (as of this time) no one I know is playing one, and I don't intend to encourage them!

I think the Snapper, despite it's poor reception, might be the answer. Now stop throwing these damn eggs and boo-ing and listen :P

They cost a pittance, 15pts a pop. They have total of 14AD when in full squad and have Elusive. The pathogen have squat-all in terms of long range firepower really. The snapper is very fast. So..welcome commander Red Herring, you've been assigned to the glorious suicude run on the enemy cruisers! :D Actually, maybe not that suicidal, seeing as you have to deploy full AP every time you board, so the enemy prolly won't bother boarding them, and they do have elusive target...

As for the attacks, 14AD from small ships isn't bad, and the Pathogen has scrub-level PD...you won't lose many hits to point defence. Do that, then send bomber wings to attack other targets. Keep the fleet away from enemy, and pelt them with torpedoes as the Snapper-bomber combo does it's job and then maybe move in for the kill.

Sure, it's all pure theory, but that's the perfect scenario I think. Essentially...spam the loving out of the Snapper-chans.