Bejebas

Please Supply The Invaders To The Lgs

It would be great to get any/all of the Studio Sparta stuff available through local game stores. I never order anything by mail--placing special orders through my FLGS to support them since I spend so much time playing on their tables and using their space for events.

Some game shops will periodically do special orders.

One of ours used to do up an order for Forgeworld every three months.

If there is enough interest at your FLGS for Firestorm Invasion/Invaders, they might order Studio Sparta items in for you.

They cant order from Studio Sparta.

How about having your FLGS organise a bulk order from Spartan Studios, or as a place to organise one? Orders over 100 pounds get free postage to anywhere in the world, and with 3 Invader starter sets, you're over that mark.

Yes, that would work, but they would have no profit margin with that if they aren't getting any sort of distributor's discount. I know they like me because I run demo games and events in their store, but I suppose this will be the true test of just how much they like me :) I want the new Planetfall kickstart boxes as well, so at least I certainly can manage to order enough for free shipping.

Maybe it's just time for me to realize that ordering online is the trend and my LGS is going to end up going out of business sooner or later (I'm hoping for "later").

I heard a great episode of the D6G comparing tabletop gaming in the UK to the States, and we don't have gaming clubs in the States with membership dues--we play in stores, usually at no charge, and the stores stay in business by selling us miniatures (and supplementing that by selling MTG cards--I had to change the date of the DW tournament I had planned because of a big Magic pre-release event which saw the store completely overrun by CCG players). So, showing up to play in a store with miniatures you didn't buy in the store... well, it's clearly not a working retail strategy.

I'm not sure how it works in Australia? Game stores with open tables or gaming clubs with membership dues?

I'm not sure how it works in Australia? Game stores with open tables or gaming clubs with membership dues?

Most clubs are dwindling in membership as players move to the stores to game for free.

Its only where there is no local store that any of the clubs seem to survive.

Unless your trapped in Bundaberg QLD... $2 fee per table, per player. Gaming clubs that try to start up, then collapse in a heap leaving nothing but bad feelings amongst the gamers. A single store, with F-all stock on the shelves and is at the point where orders are only done if there are multiple items being required (by more than 1 person - supposedly because the shop has to order a certain amount worth at a time [no matter what company's items are being ordered]). This in turn drives people way from ordering through the shop, and into the arms of the online community (except the die hards of us who are desperately trying to keep a gaming store in our community). This in turn drives the wheels of the system which eventually will cause the business to fold up. No ordering through local shop = no stock on shelves = players preferring online ordering = no orders through local shop = etc al. infinitum.

So it's play in small groups at peoples houses, never growing the hobby, or pay to play at a shop that is undoubtedly floundering on the brink of closure with a group of players that would prefer to stand around chatting (because we aren't getting charged for that - yet) rather than paying to play.

In Townsville, we have a few clubs, and a decent FLGS (we also have Toyworld and a not-so-FLGS)

Three of the clubs (JCU-SoMAG, TCGA, NQGC) have an annual membership.

i don't know about the other 2 (ADF-WGA, WW40k) they use an old mess hall on the army base, so have less overhead.

The FLGS has several tables (free, but you need to reserve them if you want to use one on the weekend) and they also have MTG players twice a week. But they run all the big tournaments (warmahordes, MTG-prerelease, etc) at a local pub.

in my 17 years of wargaming, i've only seen 3 FLGSs fold. the first one folded 16 years ago, shortly after the new owners dropped their wargaming lines, and moved to a stupid location (forgetting to let people know they were moving), the second one, 12 years ago, had insomniac's hours and charged for using the tables (and apparently was doing something illegal there too). the last one, apart from a name change a few years ago, had a good run of over 18 years and only closed about 6 months ago due to the "straw that broke the camel's back" happening.

How about having your FLGS organise a bulk order from Spartan Studios, or as a place to organise one? Orders over 100 pounds get free postage to anywhere in the world, and with 3 Invader starter sets, you're over that mark.

Sorry, when I first read this I thought you where talking about 100 lbs. not £. It put a smile on my face. :)

In Townsville, we have a few clubs, and a decent FLGS (we also have Toyworld and a not-so-FLGS)

Three of the clubs (JCU-SoMAG, TCGA, NQGC) have an annual membership.

i don't know about the other 2 (ADF-WGA, WW40k) they use an old mess hall on the army base, so have less overhead.

The FLGS has several tables (free, but you need to reserve them if you want to use one on the weekend) and they also have MTG players twice a week. But they run all the big tournaments (warmahordes, MTG-prerelease, etc) at a local pub.

in my 17 years of wargaming, i've only seen 3 FLGSs fold. the first one folded 16 years ago, shortly after the new owners dropped their wargaming lines, and moved to a stupid location (forgetting to let people know they were moving), the second one, 12 years ago, had insomniac's hours and charged for using the tables (and apparently was doing something illegal there too). the last one, apart from a name change a few years ago, had a good run of over 18 years and only closed about 6 months ago due to the "straw that broke the camel's back" happening.

In the last 5 years Bundaberg has seen the folding of 4 seperate gaming/hobbie stores. Also, 3 renamings of stores, & 4 store relocations, Do not set up a gaming store in Bundaberg, unless of course you have a 2 year plan, in which you 'plan' to lose everything in or under a 2 year time period.

the thing about Blighty and running clubs over stores is due to a certain notingham based 28mm game manufacturer. they rule the highstreet mini store only sell there own product (some even ask you to leave if you start to talk about any other wargame ccg or rpg in the store) so our FLGS's get pushed to a little store in the cheap end of town with no room for mutiple tables. if we want more than one game running then we need clubs and with churches and the boy scouts usually rent is not to bad (we have a standing deal with our scouts that meen we pay less than an illustrious per night so our subs stay really low)

I live in the west midlands of Britain and we have a hugely successful local shop and gaming club. The majority of the credit for this goes to the store owner for he set up the club and the shop so that one would support the other. While the relationship between shop and club isnt always ideal (conflict of interests not withstanding) the club gets all the support for boards, terrain and gaming from the shop (bought at discount, an painted by the shop owner during down time) as the club doing well in turn means he profits. If you are having trouble setting up a gaming group why not approach your local stores and ask them to get involved? If they support your club then you will support their shop.

That's something I have yet to see--tabletop miniatures gaming in a local pub. Years ago a gaming friend and I would regularly stake out a table at our favorite local watering hole to play Axis & Allies, but even that made the waitress nervous about us dropping pieces on the floor and leaving a mess (as if we would want to leave ANY game pieces behind). Dartboards and pool tables are the norm here, but open up a board game and things might get dangerous. :)

But I'm already thinking about the next venue for an event, and I may try approaching some places to see if they would accommodate half a dozen players at 2 or 3 tables for the better part of an afternoon (especially considering pubs in the States are relatively quiet on weekend afternoons--the prime hours are always late evenings).

The pub our FLGS uses for these events really loves us. A couple of weekends ago, they held both a MTG prerelease and a Warmahordes tournament, filling both the upstairs function room and the downstairs one.

Depending on what times you decide to run your event, let the kitchen staff in on what's happening, so they can prepare for lunch orders in advance.

The pub we use is technically a hotel, so the kitchens are able to open for breakfast. The last few events had them sending someone for extra supplies.

You do realise you can be arrested for this ;-)

How? we pay the rent they ask us for time when the room is a dead space its just really cheap. it supports them in a small way and gives us a place to game. They have the right to rent their space for the money they choose. We have been paying them rent for a long time now at a couple of different huts and we have only had one or two rent increases. The current hall we rent from them they also rent to other weekly clubs although i have no idea for how much.

I think the previous posters comment may have had a more sexual connotation to it Althorin!

Nevertheless, you can definitely strike up a good deal in this way. The Sons of War in Cambridge have a good deal going at the scout hut - and the games played inside include DW now, but many others - and the Nottingham based company shop donated much of their old boards etc... for use in the club. The local independent games retailer, as far as I know, has nothing to do with this - I may be wrong, but the club has a larger play area, and does not inhibit the shop in any way - so it all works to the good. And there are weeks when I simply prefer to meet up with gaming buddies at someone's house. That's just the normal pattern of things.

That will teach me to read the forums half asleep :-P we also got alot of our early terrain from that notts company a couple of our members were staff but over the years we have moved more and more to our FLGS as we move away from the 28mm cash vacume

Dahawi which flgs we are west mids based aswell maybe after we have had a little more practice at our club we could organize a torney or something