Bullfrog

The Return Of Brunel

Ahh, so the question is.. what about destructive ordnance (and corrosive , lethal strike, incendiary rounds, hard impact and anything else operating vs DR) vs Phase armour.

What I'd be tempted to say is:

Corrosive- If a weapon with corrosive has scored a crit, proceed as normal, if not, it doesn't work

Destructive ordnance- you get the CR roll, but no damage .......however, I'd bet the official answer will be no damage at all unless you get the crit.

Hard Impact- Only works if you get the crit, if it is only over DR, the armour simply absorbs it, and you don't go backwards

Lethal strike- Only works if you get the crit, if it is only over DR the armour simply absorbs it. However, the invaders are very weak when boarded. You don't need lethal strike!

Incendary- Only works if you get the crit, if it is only over DR the armour simply absorbs it.

The heat lance is a red herring, it simply uses the DR to determine now many dice it rolls, then it works like 99% of other weapons.

yeah my RoF corrosive shells, I would read as achieve DR then no effect as no damage is inflicted but achieve a critical and 2 corrosive markers are placed on the model. The others I don't use personally, but the Brunel seems to keep producing these anomalies. I wouldn't use Brits against Invaders as they can avoid torpedoes by going on land and the KoB is ironically poor in the air.

Guest Spartan Andy

The following is intended to clarify the wording of the Phase Armour Model Assigned Rule and how any Model Assigned Rule, weapon, Collision or rule that uses DR or CR will operate relative to any Invader model:

Replace the current Phase Armour Model Assigned Rule with the following text:

The number of hits on this model must EXCEED its Critical Rating (CR) to inflict any Damage. This model does NOT use the standard Critical Hit Table, and refers to the Invader Critical Hit Table whenever ANY Critical Hit is required.

Important Note: ANY successful use of a UPG or Tesla Generator against this model will result in ONE roll on the Invader Critical Hit Table, apply the effect but not the HP loss and re-roll any 2 or 12.

Replace the current INVADER DAMAGE section with the following text:

Due to Phase Armour if the total number of hits against an Invader model equals, or exceeds, its Damage Rating (DR), the model does NOT suffer any Hull Point (HP) loss. An Invader model only suffers Damage from a Critical Hit and will only suffer a Critical Hit if the total number of hits EXCEEDS its Critical Rating (CR).

Any rule that uses a DR to calculate a specific value in the game e.g. a Heat Lance will use the DR of an Invader model as normal.

Any rule with a specific effect related to the DR of a model must EXCEED the CR of an Invader model for that particular effect to occur.

Some Illustrative Examples:

Example 1: If the number of hits from a Collision equals, or exceeds, the DR of an Invader model it does not suffer any HP loss but it must roll on the Invader Critical Hit Table if its CR is exceeded.

Important Note: If the number of hits from a Ram exceeds the CR of an Invader model it will roll TWICE on the Invader Critical Hit Table, once for the DR effect and once for the normal Critical Hit resulting from exceeding the CR.

Example 2: A rule with a DR but no CR effect must EXCEED the CR of an Invader model for the DR effect to occur e.g. an Invader model is only knocked back by the Hard Impact MAR if its CR is exceeded.

Important Note: If the number of hits from a weapon with the Destructive Ordnance MAR exceeds the CR of an Invader model it will roll TWICE on the Invader Critical Hit Table, once for the DR effect and once for the normal Critical Hit resulting from exceeding the CR.

Example 3: A rule with a DR and CR effect only applies the DR effect if the CR of an Invader model is exceeded e.g. an Invader model will only gain 1 Corrosive Marker from the Corrosive MAR if its CR is exceeded.

Important Note: If the number of hits from a Flamethrower exceeds the CR of an Invader model it will only suffer the DR effects i.e. lose 1 HP, gain 1 Raging Fire Marker and no Critical Hit roll.

Example 4: Any rule with a CR but no DR effect applies the CR effect if the CR of an Invader model is exceeded e.g. an Invader model may have 1 added to any Critical Hit roll if its CR is exceeded by an Energy Weapon.

A Comment:

The intent with the Invaders was always to be different, even if that was just for the sake of it sometimes. The same effect could have been achieved by adding +1CR to everything, but by changing the Invaders basic Damage mechanism; we wanted to make them totally different from any other Fleet out there. Before clarifying the rule I have contacted all of the testers to confirm that the original intent was tested and after some confusion J I am now happy that testing was valid and based on the original concept.

SO….. Just to repeat, the number of hits against an Invader model must EXCEED its CR rating before it is at risk of taking Damage through its unique Critical Hit Table and similarly Invader models have such superior technology in comparison to humans any weapon, MAR or rule that refers to a specific DR effect must exceed the CR of an Invader model before that specific DR effect occurs.

These clarifications will be added to the Invader rules PDF available for download ASAP.

Spartan Andy