The Lazy One

First Island

Hi everyone!

This is my first attempt in a scenery for 1/1200 flying ships warfare! I used a styrene bulk inside, covered in plaster, then I worked on that plaster. The piece is quite light but strong, and that's the progress of what i've done so far!

That is the main plaster piece, carved for the rocky pattern:

2yvkjth.jpg

Here is sanded and "corked"!

ei33wy.jpg

And here is primed, with some houses added and some other fews.

n2zo5k.jpg

More pics asap, just stay tuned!

Cheers

Jack - www.thelazyforger.com

First Colour experiment. i'm not totally convinced, but the overall look is nice! =)

nyzyq.jpg

Please tell me your impressions! =)

Very nice.

Some questions.

What type of plaster did you use?

How did you get that shape?

Lastly, what paint did you use?

Thanks Tanks and people!

for the answers:

- generic plaster is ok: the harder it is, the harder is to carve, but it's much easier to keep it without breakng when finished. So it's all about your needs! you just have to figure out which compromise is the best for you!

- i'll do an article about this very soon, i'll write everything about the shape here!

- Just generic acrylics, some GW some bigger tubes! starting from light blue, shading with dark green and then lighting with almost-white-blue!

Thanks Tanks and people!

for the answers:

- generic plaster is ok: the harder it is, the harder is to carve, but it's much easier to keep it without breakng when finished. So it's all about your needs! you just have to figure out which compromise is the best for you!

- i'll do an article about this very soon, i'll write everything about the shape here!

- Just generic acrylics, some GW some bigger tubes! starting from light blue, shading with dark green and then lighting with almost-white-blue!

Thanks, look forward to seeing it.

Brilliant, love the idea of using a wire brush, I never would have thought of that! The impending release of Dystopian Legions has really got my DW juices flowing again, I'll have to start finishing all of those terrain projects I started so long ago!

I too am working on some floating island. but using different method. will have to post some pics when i am done. i have tried plaster in the past , but found it to chip very Easley how do you stop that happing

Well, i just use a ceramic plaster. It is crazy hard, we say "cat proof", enough to resist any kind of pressure. Of course the islands when dropped from a reasonable height to a resonable strong ground (like stone) will break, but it is possibile to not do it! ;)

These islands are... :wub: :wub: :wub: . If it wouldn't be so much work I would try to do some on my own, but right now, I have to paint a bunch of russkies. Keep on your work (and tutorials). I like to see more delicious scenery from you.

I pretty much saw these, and once I had recovered my jaw from the ground (damned thing had rolled behind a cupboard...) I decided to give this a go today. :D

One question though, what do you use for that gorgeous foliage? Especially the 'vines' on the smaller islands?

Hey there! Sorry for the quite late reply, sadly i'm having troubles with notifications from this forum. :)

The vines are just brush hairs painted in green with cyanacrilic glue on them, and covered with the same material of the rest of the piece. =)

Did anyone here try to do something? =)