pezhetairoi

Official Marauders & Mercenaries Thread: STL Syndicate

do you know what ( in my openion ) would make it a much better looking piece ............... the mouth and the dead looking eye of a shark painted on the front. like the old P40 war halks from WWII then it would look really sinister.

Has anyone else noticed how the sides in the FSA galaxy are dominated by humans? The Zenian League is centered around the Dindrenzi (humans), while the Alliance of Kurak is centered around the Terrans (humans). "Humans have come to compose the vast majority of its" (the Syndate's) "membership, holding many senior positions." -Pg 17, Marauders of the Rift. The Syndicate is mostly human and Omnidyne Systems is a human corporation.

It's not that I mind our species being in the thick of things, but it seems like we are troublesome for all the aliens around.

Do any of you see any of the alien nations being annoyed with humanity?

Add into it the fact that, by the fluff, the Directorate were kidnaping entire buildings worth of Aquan scientists to use as slave researchers and the early war that the Terrans and Aquans fought (the Terrans settled planets that, admittedly, they didn't realize, were within Aquan territory) and I'm sure both they and the Sorylians think on occasion "Monkey boy go home". The rest of the Storm Zone, when you get down to it, is really just caught up in the mess...

Zak

*snip*

It's not that I mind our species being in the thick of things, but it seems like we are troublesome for all the aliens around.

Do any of you see any of the alien nations being annoyed with humanity?

Yeah, 'cuz they weren't killing themselves before we came along. ;) *I'm looking at you two Aquan and Sorilian*

Add into it the fact that, by the fluff, the Directorate were kidnaping entire buildings worth of Aquan scientists to use as slave researchers and the early war that the Terrans and Aquans fought (the Terrans settled planets that, admittedly, they didn't realize, were within Aquan territory) and I'm sure both they and the Sorylians think on occasion "Monkey boy go home". The rest of the Storm Zone, when you get down to it, is really just caught up in the mess...

Zak

That's gorrila boy, get it straight geeez!

I've been mulling this around for a little while.

What do you think?

1000pt Syndicate list.

1 Phantom Battleship (4 interceptors) -- The local Boss, Jaran Profaci 200pts

1 Spur heavy Cruiser -- his right hand man, Aros Persico 100pts

3x Veydreth Hunter Destroyers -- Profaci's mysterious alien bodyguards

Aquired Assets -- stolen in a recent raid, never quite got the engines to 100%

4x Looted Scythe Frigates (-1MV, +2AP) 80pts

1 looted Skyhammer Cruiser (-1MV, no torps) + 1 looted Halberd Cruiser (-1MV, no torps) 120pts

Lowlife Thugs -- the Tribalii corsair band.

3x Brigand Cruisers 180pts

6x Outlaw Frigates 120pts

Total = 995 pts.

The idea here is that the Boss and his immediate followers hang back and target threats, while the "expendables" close the gap quickly and attempt to assault.

The looted cruisers could be tweeked a little. The idea there is that they provide more meat to the attack. There's 8 AP between them, and they can absorb some damage along the way. They should attract some fire since their broadsides are not all that bad.

Think they have a chance against a Faction Naval fleet?

Only 2 cruisers total? Even with the -1 looted size you could've had one more ship there.

Anyway, seems okayish, hard to say without having played even once. It has two large ships, some long range firepower to soften the enemy up, and the bringands and outlaws pack decent fore firepower, as do the scythes. The 2-cruiser squadron is the one least likely to affect the game I think, and the brigands have 12AP AND assault blitz rule, so they're actually better than the 2 sorylian ships at it.

I tend to agree. Had difficulty with the 125 pts leftovers...

The assault force needed some beefing up, so that was my fiirst idea

Other options:

• a discount looted carrier (probably won't help)
  • another spur heavy cruiser (another stand-off ship)
  • more frigates, looted or otherwise.

Maybe another outlaw squadron. I liked the theme of the looted ships, though.

I know I'm not using the Syndicate's 60% battleship allowance to it's full effect, but unless you take more Phantoms ... they don't really have any other reasonable options. A Tarakian BB? An Omnydine BB? The looted BB option is there, but you'll use up all of your allowance, and I'm keen to try the 16AP scythes.

using Syndicsas basis for the fleet, i came up with something like this:

Large:

Phantom-190 pts (2x1 interceptor)

Medium:

3x Spur heavy cruiser-300

2x 1 Copernicus ore ship+3 Mantis freighters-135

4 Mantis freighert-120pts

Small:

6 Outlaws- 120

The fleet is light on Large ships, but the mix of throwaway civvies and gunship-like Spurs should hopefully carry the day. The idea behind this fleet is a rich trade fleet from any of the systems around the Storm Zone. Since Syndicate ships were bought, i assume they (or ships based on them, perhaps with less comfy interior) would be availible for sale everywhere.