Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Admiral

Academic Question: Bb's -Or- Dn's

Thought I would pose this question as we continue to game larger battles as time moves on: In larger games, above 1200pts and above, would you rather choose a BB or a DN when you put together a fleet?

I seem to realize that a DN is the heaviest ship in anyone's aresenal, and thus I would field one as soon as I get near the 1,000pt mark. Is this true for everyone else?

Secondly, would you ever rather field 2 BB's over a DN? :)

The answer is simple: both.

At over 1k I expect to see more than one enemy large ship. To that end, I usually see both a DN and a BB, though you might see a CV and DN instead.

In 1k fleets I sometimes get away with (read: play and still win or draw) a CVB and a BB (as Aquans) but more than half the time I field DN.

In regards to your second question. That depends on the overall fleet composition. If someone were going carrier heavy, then two BBs might make more sense than spending the points for DN. Also, Sorylian fleets might consider it if they're just making way for more Skyhammers...

Zak

The answer is somewhat dependent on the fleet you play and what that fleet has in it's Smalls and Mediums.

For Terrans the DN doesn't bring much extra single target firepower for beating down opposing Large ships. But it does bring better secondary firepower for targets of opportunity and board control. It also has better survivability through CR 12, this factor alone on the Titan is huge in allowing it to keep chugging along.

I love my Terran DN. I vote for DN. If possible I would also add MK2 BB.

I feel the same. The MK2 BB is one of my favourite ships in the game, both in looks and play style. RB 1 turrets are great fun. That said in games large enough to field a dreadnought I usually take a full squadron of Bombards as well.

I'd go with a BB1 and a DN. I don't have a Terran BB2 and I don't see the point. Why exactly does it swap RB1 and 2?

The real difference is your best firepower is in RB1 and the enemies BB best firepower is RB2. This gives you advantage.

With 3 shields, quite possible to lose only 1 or 2 HP max, which still gives you an advantage over most enemies (or none at all, shields are fickle things). Either way, even with damage, (as if one could get into RB2 without damage on regular basis) you're better off losing 1 AD over RB2 when most large ships lose around 3 or 4 I think.

- The RSN Banshee is just so much better than the BB... +DN for RSN

+1 for that. The crazy 40% DN allotment for the Zenian League means the RSN can squeeze two DNs in at 1200 points! (I don't think that changed in the errata doc, did it?) I would be sorely tempted to field those along with an Argus at that level.

For my Dindrenzi, my choice is usually between 2BBs and 1 DN in mid-sized battles. It depends on whom I am fighting, and what i want to do with my medium ships - The BBs chew up a lot of extra points. At 1500 points or more, I am likely to take both!

See the apex shots a little better than the Brood and it has bigger batteries and pd barrage. So with small vessels it can potentially be a beast but small vessels die easy enough is it needed? Regardless love the model and I have no preference really over one or the other just matters with what I got points for.

See the apex shots a little better than the Brrid it has bigger batteries and pd barrage. So with small vessels it can potentially be a beast but small vessels due easy enough is it needed? Regardless love the model and I have no preference really over one or the other just matters with what I got points for.

?????

Translation:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Zak

I was saying I I had to pic the Apex over my Brood I don't know which I would want...ya the Apex has bigger batteries PD range 8 inches and Pd Barrage allowing it to make a pd attack against small vessels along with its other guns...all great but is it really a selling point? Most small vessel die easily anyways. So I'm paying points IMO for a cooler looking model that shoots better than my brood at rb 2 on the side the brood has 15 ad versus the 18 for the Apex. I'd aesthetics and a few more ad worth the price increase? Or save points and just use my brood.

But again the apex is an awesome model and the other mars could be useful though I have yet to really find much need for them.

@Corthal

Dont forget the Maneauverable its worth so much on a large ship. It also is a lot harder to board.

That's right I forgot about maneauverable. And no one bothers with boarding except for me around here...so I can't really board myself...