Dystopian Kiwi

Hurricane Season Scenario Question

My question relates to models that move on to the table in any given turn for a scenario in Hurricane Season. The deployment section states the stern fore should be 6" from the edge of the deployment edge when the squadron is activated and moved onto the table. Does this mean that placing the squadron in this position on the table ends the movement phase of the squadron activation or do the placed models then get their full move as well? The rules don't appear clear to me the way they are written and could be interpreted either way.

Thanks,

DK

. . . The deployment section states the stern should be 6" from the edge of the deployment edge when the squadron is activated and moved onto the table. Does this mean that placing the squadron in this position on the table ends the movement phase of the squadron activation or do the placed models then get their full move as well? The rules don't appear clear to me the way they are written and could be interpreted either way. . .

The version of the book that I received phrases it differently. :huh:

Does your page 93 say [?] this:

... the Fore of a model MUST enter the Game Board within 6" of the Entry Point indicated on the Scenario Map.

For starters: it says nothing about the stern. I do see some muddled terminology (in my copy):

1. Regarding rectangles where units are deployed at the beginning of the game: The key to the maps on page 92 uses "Deployment Quadrant"; the paragraph on page 93 speaks of a "designated area" and all of the scenarios refer to "SECTORS".
  2. Regarding models that enter the board on an enumerated turn:The key to the maps on page 92 uses "Entry Area"; the paragraph on page 93 speaks of an "Entry Point" and all of the scenarios refer to "AREA n".
  3. Regarding the designation of symbols: The key to the maps on page 92 depicts a symbol that looks like a line and labels it "Entry Area"; the maps all use the same symbol to designate Edges of the Game Board but the scenario write-ups refer to them as "AREAS".
  4. Regarding models like towers that are deployed in fixed positions: the key to the maps on page 92 uses "Deployment Point", the paragraph on page 93 is utterly silent about such things and some scenarios have capital letters in circles referred to as "POINTS".

If your book matches all of that ... some confusion is understandable.

Try this to clean up the terminology:

Problem 1: Fix as follows "deployment quadrant zone", "designated area zone" and "SECTOR ZONE".

Problem 2: Fix as follows "Entry Area Edge", "Entry Point Edge" and "AREA EDGE".

Problem 4: Fix as follows "Deployment Point Position" and "POINT POSITION"

Problem 3: automatically fixed by the preceding.

Your original question then involves item two. Using my clarified terms, I suggest that you go with a great walloping load of common sense (please jettison all baggage labeled "rules as written" now) and do this:

• The edge marked on the game map marks all of the possible positions the bow (fore or forward most point) of a ship entering the Game Board could be located at the moment it enters.
  • Measure its move from any point on that edge and place the bow (fore or forward most point) at whatever distance from the edge it was able and was ordered to move.
  • That is its complete move for its first activation of the game.

Basis for the above (hypothesis):

• The person who wrote page 93 considered the squares on the scenario maps to be 12 inch squares and believed that they would be specifically labeled as such.
  • When the author chose to use the word "point" (in the line quoted above from the rule book) the author was thinking of the centre of the edge line where the arrow crosses it (two lines crossing defining a point).
  • Finally, the author assumed everyone would realize that "enter the Game Board" automatically restricted the beginning of the move to the edge.

Edited by Pendrake

Yes I get all that. I didn't have my book handy when I asked the question and meant bow not stern (my bad). Essentially I get that I put the models down in a roughly 6X12" boxed area. My question is once I have done this do I get to move or not?

Ie is the intent to have the model no more than 6" onto the board in turn 1 (or 2, 3 etc) or is the intent to keep the models from being fired on until such time as the player decides to activate the model and place it on the board then move it.

We have been playing it as you described above with the move part of the activation as the placing of the model but there was some discussion before we came to that decision so I am seeking clarification.

Sort of relieved there are not different editions of the book.

Yes I get all that. I didn't have my book handy when I asked the question and meant bow not stern (my bad). Essentially I get that I put the models down in a roughly 6X12" boxed area. My question is once I have done this do I get to move or not?

The boxed areas are for the models placed when the scenario begins. The line positioned at the edge crossed by an arrow was always used for ships entering later. (The Spartan author was at least consistent about that.)

The line positioned at the edge crossed by an arrow does not define a box.

placing them counts as the move. otherwise, they'd say to move the model on from the edge

For ships that join the battle after turns 1 they did not say either of those things (sadly).

"enter the Game Board" = "move the model on from the edge" :huh:

The only ships placed (in a box shaped ...ummm... SECTOR ) are those put down before turn one? I don't think those were DK's issue.

The multiple interpretations are interesting (though they have to be frustrating to the rule author/s).

Guest Spartan Andy

The text in the Hurricane Season Scenarios does not match the key to the maps. The correct terminology is a Deployment Quadrant for an area on the map, an Entry Area for a line along the edge of the Game Board along which models or tokens may enter the Game Board and an Exit Zone for a line along the edge of the Game Board along which models or tokens may leave the Game Board.

I have just gone through all of the Storm of Steel scenarios to make sure the text will be correct in subsequent Campaign Books and have added the following to the introduction part of the Storm of Steel scenario section:

If a model must exit the Game Board as part of a specific Scenario Victory Condition the entire model must exit the Game Board anywhere along any designated Exit Zone.

If a Squadron enters the Game Board during the game the Front of any model or token MUST enter the Game Board anywhere along the designated Entry Area. A model or token may perform a full Squadron Activation, including a full move, on the turn that they enter the Game Board, all movement is measured from the appropriate edge of the Game Board.

If a Squadron is deployed on the Game Board at the start of the game ALL models can be placed with any required orientation and MUST be positioned entirely within the designated Deployment Quadrant and within Command Distance of another model in the same Squadron.

Hope this clarifies matters

Spartan Andy

That should be great. As long as you folks don't have any models longer than their normal move distance. I can't say for their current edition, but in 5e GW screwed that up horribly by having models that could only move X" per turn and were X+3" long. By RAW those models were automatically removed from play or hit with a sledge hammer. Something like that. ;)

I'm sure there is a Leonidas that covers that situation anyways.

Main Rulebook. P43. Deployment, Second Column reads....

"If a Squadron cannot be deployed due to space....."

That should do it I reckon.

d.

That should be great. As long as you folks don't have any models longer than their normal move distance. I can't say for their current edition, but in 5e GW screwed that up horribly by having models that could only move X" per turn and were X+3" long. By RAW those models were automatically removed from play or hit with a sledge hammer. Something like that. ;)

under their current rules, if you take a drop-army (pods, planes, whatever) but have no actual models on the field at the end of the first turn, you automatically lose