Sign in to follow this  
Charley

My American Armour (Armor?) Diary...

I've made the plunge and ordered an armoured battle group, so while that's on the way and I'm collating as many little hints and tips as to how to model these guys up, I though I'd start a little thread to document my progress and things I have to do...as well as gather feedback

Well, there's not much to say just yet, but there will be in future :) it may be a little slow as I ship out to Uni this weekend, but we'll see how things go...I'm sure I'll have a few free afternoons and weekends in which I can get Federal.

Cheers,

C.

hi there,

I was thinking along the same lines...other players seem to mainly go for a blue-grey, which though seems to fit the models down to a tee...I was either going to go for a drab green or a light grey colour...I'll probably test out the two schemes to see how they work

that, or maybe a rough and ready bare metal look

if I could ask, how did you paint up your Washington, if you have one? :)

Ah, lovely ^^

I was about to say I thought I'd seen these on dakkadakka until I clicked the link

Excellent job, the green really does work

Is getting the stone-look on the landship, well, hard?

I think the basic colour scheme (vallejo) on the tanks will be:

>Primed black

>Basalt Grey drybrush for panels

>Earth for the decking panels

>Natural steel for tracks and weapons

>Brass for smokestacks and boilers, and to pick out some weapon parts

> a liberal Devlan Mud / Strong tone / Earthshade wash

then I'll just go over a few parts that need lighter colour with a detail brush

any thoughts?

Well, I think you will get a better result from a black undercoat if you work your base grey color up in a few passes, using 3 shades of grey that get progressively lighter. If you desire an even harder edge highlight, you can finish it off with a light coat of white. This is how I painted my PE naval vessels, BTW. I would put up a picture, but you seem to know your way around the Dakka galleries anyway :).

As for the White House parts, I base coated those with GW's Deneb Stone foundation, gave them a good coat of Devlan mud, and then did a drybrushing of Commando Khaki followed by a second drybrushing of Bleached Bone. Wasn't too hard, actually. Speaking of washes, I prefer not to wash the whole model, as I feel it subdues the drybrushing too much; YMMV. Instead, I just wash the wood decking areas and the metalic bits.

Yeah, I've seen a few Prussian models done up that way, and it really does work...makes for a crisp kinda look...though I was looking at trying to economise on paint, as funds are low and it's been a while since I last painted and (surprise surprise) all my GW pots were as dry, as well, bone...

I've sorta gone off the grey idea now, I think I'm going to go for a nice olive drab or green-grey, depending on what I can get hold of / looks the best

(PS, it's great to have this community to fall back on... all game sites should have their own community)

black undercoating works best for dark-coloured armoured models.

also, if you can, use a frayed brush and some slightly thinned-down black (or charcoal-black) on your exhausts, and/or dust some nearly-dry paint of the same colour around the aft of the vehicle (from the rear-most point of the vehicle to about halfway towards the exhausts)

late 19th-century engines were dirty, smoky pieces of work

Yeah, that's my biggest beef about the FSA box art, everything is far too shiney...the brass is highly polished, and the blue is too, well, blue...but I guess that might just be me. I prefer my machines to look dirty; like they've just rolled off of the battlefield, rather than the parade ground.

Anyway, without further ado:

F.S.A. ARMOUR UPDATE #1: ARMOUR ARRIVES

Hey, well, the box set arrived this morning, and let's just say, I'm pretty excited to get these painted up...the figures are pretty good, however, I've got a couple of bug bears:

- there's a bit of a defect on my landship, the railings under one of the sponsons (I don't know if I can really get away with saying that when it comes to something of this scale, one of the pieces of neo-classical architecture) are very skew-iff, as though a bubble had just made it to the surface. It's not a major deal though, as I've taken to it with a craft knife and bit of imagination...now I've just got a bit of decent-looking battle damage.

- the Trenton Class miniatures aren't as high quality as I hoped, on more than one, the bottoms of the four casemates don't bend inwards as they should, but are just detail-less blobs. It's not enough for me to complain, as a bit of work with a knife and a file mean that it won't be noticeable once they're flocked...still, it annoyed me.

Anyway, for lighter new...BOMBARDS!

I love these little guys, they are just so menacing - no superstructure, no guns...just rockets. It's one of the reasons why I went FSA, I love missiles and I'm planning on having a fleet that bristles with them (with won't get me anywhere against those pesky Muskovites, but who cares...I'm in it for pleasure). I'm also very happy with my landship, which I'm yet to christen, it's my favourite piece, it's bigger than I hoped, and the large smokestacks and little paddle-wheels are reassuringly steampunk.

I've also decided on my colour scheme, which is going to be a nice olive drab for most of the superstructure, bronze engine parts and smokestacks and cold steel everything else (par the decking, which is gonna be a nice bootstrap brown / devlan mud combo). The Landship, being amphibious, is going to get a 'red lead' under the waterline, a scheme I'm going to carry over to my naval fleet.

Pictures will follow as soon as painting begins. Until then, my minis have enjoyed a nice bath and a spray of black paint.

Hope everything goes well,

C.