Sign in to follow this  
thejrade

Mines Even More Useless Than I Thought?

I don't think mines are useless.

They should not necessarily be compared to fields of land mines as we know them.
From a gameplay point of view, for me it works.
I play Aquan and i've got a lot of mines, throwing them in front of the enemy, in the middle of his squadrons, etc ... I've already destroyed two battleships like that. This really is a supplement to the primary weapons.

I do not find them too low. 4AD that may affect several vessels is good, it will not be critical, but it can use. In comparison, nobody complains about the 4AD torpedo on Aquan's cruisers while torpedoes are countered by PD. With mine there is no defense, except shields.

Linked mines is too strong. Medusa with 3 Remora and you put 12AD mines!

I prefer the explosion template option that stay in place during the squadron movement.

But if they make them stronger in the V2, I wouldn't complain... ^^

In my games with benoflamancha (4 to date) we have had only 2 things happen with mines

-Nothing. Pretty explosion of fire and no damage

or

-Complete and utter devistation. Multiple models destroyed and once he got  his dread gimped to near worthless. (love them crits)

Now those big ones were statistical anomalies. They seem underpowered overall. 2 out 0f 12 or 13 isnt a good ratio.

At this point, you could just have a single post, saying >retcon this!< and copypaste it. We know you hate everything forever, can we move on? We all have things we dislike. I for example, dislike stepping into dog poo. However, if I happen upon such a landmine, I clean my shoe on the nearest patch of grass and move on. You, from what I'm gathering from your activity, would stand there and yell at the poo for the next half an hour telling it exactly why is it in violation of all that's good and holy on this planet. In the end you might've voiced your frustration, but all people remember is a crazy person yelling at poo.

(please note the example is merely that, an example. I do not think 2.0 is in any way related to said dog excrement, nor do i literally think Commodore would yell at dog droppings.)

Well Alex, it's because now that mines are ten times more of a viable threat, and the only option you have to even remotely counter that has been removed?  Of course I'm going to but back in something to counter that!  I'd be perfectly willing to risk either a driven off flight (v1.5) or even a potentially totally destroyed flight (v1.0) to avoid a 10 or 12 dice linked mine! 

Hell it even takes elements of fun out of the game for me!  I used to have all kinds of fun with careless mine-laying opponents who thought they were safe being too close to their own mines because their own ships won't detonate them.

Until I fly a Flight of Interceptors right into their midst setting them off and getting them caught in the blast radius of their own mines. :P

But don't get me wrong, I like v2.0, it just needs a handful of utterly obvious things that got dropped or changed to be put back to make it playable and not a rules-screw.

Just going back over everything this is something that will probably be FAQed at some point in the future anyway. As it currently reads (in my beta docs, still waiting on the final book) a mine is triggered when an enemy model moves within 4" of the mine marker. Under the model section a SRS token is listed as a model, but under the SRS section it states in their deployment rules "unlike models" so I can see people coming at this from both directions. Clearly this is something that we dropped the ball on, I seem to recall saying a certain someone should sign up for the beta too ;). Still some things were bound to slip though and if this is the worst of it then its not too bad at all :).

Just going back over everything this is something that will probably be FAQed at some point in the future anyway. As it currently reads (in my beta docs, still waiting on the final book) a mine is triggered when an enemy model moves within 4" of the mine marker. Under the model section a SRS token is listed as a model, but under the SRS section it states in their deployment rules "unlike models" so I can see people coming at this from both directions. Clearly this is something that we dropped the ball on, I seem to recall saying a certain someone should sign up for the beta too ;). Still some things were bound to slip though and if this is the worst of it then its not too bad at all :).

Andrew, that's all cleared up in the rulebook mate, they're referred to as tokens only.