zajis

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Terquai Empire

In the spirit of fun, as long as your opponent has no issues with it, I 'd say follow the 1/2/3 limit for patrol/battle/grand fleets for assault carriers from the fleet manuals that have them.

But technically, as Ryjak pointed out, if the fleet manual doesn't have a slot for them, you can't take them.

Since it is pretty much given that the Core 6 (or at least, the Core Kurak 3) composition tables will be updated at some point to 'officially' allow allied assault carriers in say, a Terran fleet, I'd just go with ask your opponent first. As for those composition tables (and the opportunity for a slight tangent), at least the Terrans will be able to make full use of their two Battle Carrier slots in a Grand Fleet some time in the near future... 

So, I won a tournament earlier today using the following list:

Alkonost-class Assault Carrier, +1Sh, +2WC, Corrosive Torps, Special Forces, 6 Bombers

3 Turale-class Torpedo Cruisers, Corrosive Torps, High Energy Primaries

3 Turale-class Torpedo Cruisers, Corrosive Torps, High Energy Primaries

4 Sular-class Frigates, Pack Hunters

Played against Directorate, Oroshan/Syndicate, Aquans, Aquans again, and then Dindrenzi. Strategy was "Death by a Thousand Cuts". Worked a treat.

Not a huge amount, if I'm honest. Seemed like a better idea than Sector Shielding (which I kept forgetting about while playtesting the list). Would probably have been more useful if I'd come up against more Weapon Shielding, but as it was I kept the damage ahead of the crew loss so it didn't make any difference.

My experience with High Energy is:

It takes too long for the Hazards to convert to Crew Loss to create Boarding targets, and it will never outpace HP damage or ship destruction.

So, do you think the 7DR + 2(3) Shields is a bit overpowered for a 230 points in a Patrol Fleet? Did you ever lose it, or have it reduced to half?

*Drags this topic from the depths of the void*

I just started a Terquai fleet. Given that it was the only Kurak Alliance support-fleet I didn't own, it was only a question of time.

I love the Assault and Torpedo Cruisers and the Frigates are decent (30 points for 0 shields and only 1 PD feels a bit lackluster but they're good offensively.)

What are peoples opinions regarding our Dreadnought however? Or more precise, Dreadnought vs. Assault Carrier + Accompaniment?

A Dreadnought /w +1 Shield, Second Assault, +3 Wing Capacity, 3 SRS, Special Forces and High Energy is 325 pts.

An Assault Carrier /w +1 Shield, Second Assault, 4 SRS, Special Forces and High Energy + An Assault Cruiser /w Second Assault and Special Forces is 300 pts.

The AC+AC combo is 25 pts cheaper, has 13 AP instead of 8, slightly better torpedoes (+1), +1 SRS, +1 MN +1 Mv", 1 better TL.

The Dreadnought however is more resilient, has a noticeably better Gunrack (+4/+3/+3/+2),  Launch Tubes and Elite crew.

Thoughts on how to use either combo to the maximum of it's potential?

Well, the best thing about Dreadnoughts in general is that they are hard to kill, and even after taking 6 points of damage can still do something... but should probably try to GTFO and draw as much fire in the process as possible.

The Assault Carrier has one job; capture the biggest enemy target available.  If you do the math, it’s a gamble against an undamaged Battleship, but you can effectively win the game when you pull it off.

I don’t know how much you like to gamble, and you may not know either.  If you can, playtest with each in three different games so you can get a feel for each, and you’ll probably capture a Battleship during one of those games.