zajis

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Terquai Empire

did anyone else noticethese monsters under the name of "Makalu Torpedo Cruiser"? A full strength squadron pumping out 17 torpedo AD!!!!! I'd buy that for a dollar. Hells I'd pay 2.

They're already out:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FAAT11

Mine should be arriving Monday :D

I hope to get one painted up before I travel for vacation to Germany for a week. That and a pair of Veydreth DD blisterse and 3 of the Veydreth Prowler Gunships (well, they'll arrive - I hope to get one or two ships painted as I have a few days off this week before I go). My League of Aligned worlds fleet is slowing building...

Zak

I really think spartan should show us new models prom more perspectives.

At least I didn't order the terquai because I'm not sure if I like the side armor and there is no way to find out until someone posts pics here.

I ordered a pack of veydreth dds but for the gunship I wanted to wait how the heavy cruisers look like. I don't like this harpoon of the gunship and the heavy will have the same basic design.

I really think spartan should show us new models prom more perspectives.

At least I didn't order the terquai because I'm not sure if I like the side armor and there is no way to find out until someone posts pics here.

I ordered a pack of veydreth dds but for the gunship I wanted to wait how the heavy cruisers look like. I don't like this harpoon of the gunship and the heavy will have the same basic design.

I'll post up pics on Monday of everything. My plan on the Harpoon is to replace them with extra Terran turrets that I have lying around. The Harpoon is...well...just silly.

Zak

They came in late tonight, but in case anyone is wondering here is the Torpedo cruiser. This is straight from the pack. My overall impression is that the core ship is *extremely* clean - almost no mold lines at all and only a very small injection mark on the front. The side pewter drop ons will need some work cleaning but actually despite the initial look I think they'll clean up easily. Here's a few angles:

Head on:

Back/Side:

Front/Side

Side:

Let me know if you want to see any other angles.

Zak

"طلباتك أوامر" Tank0625:

IMG 1092

IMG 1091

IMG 1087

Here are some size comparisons with some other WIP models: Tsunami, Chironex and Templar. The first few are the base centre hull and the rest are with the shield walls on the side. I should note that these pics are from the Assault cruiser as I'm working on that first but it is the exact same size as the Torpedo Cruiser (the fine details are very different though, as is the detailing of the shield walls on the side).

Hope that helps!

Oh and Caine-HoA, it might take me two weeks before I get to it as I'm heading from Boston (US) to...well...your part of the World (Germany and then Vienna) for 8 days. :D

Zak

Zak thanks for the comparison photos. From your pictures it looks about the size of a Terrain heavy cruiser. Well have fun in Germany and don't forget your passport. German Customs officers don't have much of a humor side.

It's funny, from the renders I got an impression of the side walls being bigger, but now I go back to them them concur exactly...just shows that seeing renders isn't the same as seeing pictures of "real" ships...

Do you know ANY customs officials that have a sense of humour??? I've always had the worst experieneces with US ones....

Exactly. Thats why i wanted to see them out of more perspectives.

Exactly.

It's funny, from the renders I got an impression of the side walls being bigger, but now I go back to them them concur exactly...just shows that seeing renders isn't the same as seeing pictures of "real" ships...

There are two different sidewalls - one type for the Torpedo Cruiser and one for the Assault. They look quite different but are both the same size. I'm not sure if I like them, tbh the cruiser inside is pretty darn nice on its own. I suspect I'll leave them in as I'm guessing (from the fluff) that the ship is supposed to be a primary Terran style hull with Organic shield walls grafted in from Aquan 'design philosophy'.

Oh heck, I have no idea what they're supposed to be. They do remind me of the sidewalls on ships from the Honor Harrington books though.

Do you know ANY customs officials that have a sense of humour??? I've always had the worst experieneces with US ones....

Last July in Heathrow I had the extremely British customs individual poke fun at me. He asked what the purpose of my visit was and I said "Holiday".

"Holiday? Pffft. Vacation you mean! Very well then 'cheers'. Oh and happy Birthday", he said as he handed me my passport and I scurried along (I had actually forgotten it was my birthday as our flight was delayed by a day and ended up taking 14 hours (for a 6.5 hour flight!). FWIW it made me smile.

Zak

Yes, USA customs and airport security. Groan.... Actually a detriment to visiting that country. I try and avoid it now. Always an angry, uncomfortable, miserable experience.

However ....

New Zealand customs and airport security were funny enough to be entertaining. Cracking jokes, but still getting the job done. As my boots, coat, hat passed through x-ray ... "Aye mate, weer's the reest'a tha body?"

Bermuda was okay too. We had to get our bags searched, (on our honeymoon) but the guy was rather nice about it all.

In Canada and the UK I've found both are rather indifferent to your presence, but seldom rude or pushy.

Well having seen the new Terquai paint jobs posted up on Spartan's website I must say the bar is set...umm....well let's put it this way: I was hoping for more inspiration.

So given that these ships are supposed to be Terran and Aquan run (I'm guessing 90% terran former colonists) I'd imagine they would be formed (as we can see) around the basic idea of a Terran cruiser style hull with some sort of Aquan assisted technology. Maybe make them a hybrid, take a greyish Terran style hull and add in some organic patterning.

Of course, that makes me think I'll end up painting them like WhiteStars:

whitestar.jpg

And I'm not sure I want that much either. Any colour suggestions/inspiration out there? I already have a paint scheme in mind for my Veydreth.

Zak

I try and take cues from the ships themselves. And sometimes the stats provide clues. The fluff I find rather contradictory to the ship's appearance and stats sometimes. Since I often ignore the fluff anyway, I've found the best approach for me is to base the paint scheme on what Spartan did, rather than what they say they did. I'm fairly confident the miniature designers and the fluff-writers are different people who don't spend a lot of time together.

I was thinking about this today (I'm planning on ordering a few myself) and came to the following conclusions:

The DR rating suggests that these ships are not using Aquan hull technology, and the use of shields and the armoured belt lends support to this.

The styling of the ship is mostly wedge-like Terran bits, arranged in a semi-aquan look, smoothed out in only a few places.

In fact the only element that resembles Aquan tech is the range of the weapons... they fall-off steeply at RB3, and perhaps the mines on the assault cruiser.

I think I'd paint it 90% terran style, but with some colour bands or a dazzle-pattern sympathetic to Aquan fleet colours.

Possibly grey with light blue dazzle. (oh yeah, and silver and yellow! ;) )

That's what I got so far.

From the fluff I pictured these ships looking "hammerhead" in style. A wide front face for the forward weapons, a thin neck for the gunracks, mostly smooth and slippy with terran styled engines, maybe in a tri-pattern like the dread.

Of course the current models look nice, I'm not complaining. They resemble the Syndicate ships quite a bit.

I try and take cues from the ships themselves. And sometimes the stats provide clues. The fluff I find rather contradictory to the ship's appearance and stats sometimes. Since I often ignore the fluff anyway, I've found the best approach for me is to base the paint scheme on what Spartan did, rather than what they say they did. I'm fairly confident the miniature designers and the fluff-writers are different people who don't spend a lot of time together.

I suspect they meet once a month and say "give me X ships designed like this". The sculptors then go back and make Y ships, based on things they think look cool (and in the end, I mostly think look cool too). They then meet a month later, toss everything into a hat and then assign whatever falls out with sticky notes and grab a pint ;).

I was thinking about this today (I'm planning on ordering a few myself) and came to the following conclusions:

The DR rating suggests that these ships are not using Aquan hull technology, and the use of shields and the armoured belt lends support to this.

The styling of the ship is mostly wedge-like Terran bits, arranged in a semi-aquan look, smoothed out in only a few places.

In fact the only element that resembles Aquan tech is the range of the weapons... they fall-off steeply at RB3, and perhaps the mines on the assault cruiser.

Yeah, these aren't what I pictured stat-wise either. I would have had something like DR5, CR6 with shields, better torps at range and mostly short ranged guns. And lots of assault points as they seem to have taken it upon themselves to be the marines to the Aquan Empire. They're nice, overall, but both in terms of stats and looks not what I expected.

I think I'd paint it 90% terran style, but with some colour bands or a dazzle-pattern sympathetic to Aquan fleet colours.

Possibly grey with light blue dazzle. (oh yeah, and silver and yellow! ;) )

Hrmmm....maybe like a pet store fish if it mated with a Volvo...hey...wait a minute ;p.

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking a cue from your stuff. Use a base off white, maybe even Vallejo Pale Grey/Blue as the primary hull colour. Add a Dark Sea Green/blue colour for the details (where you tend to have blue) and then figure out what to do with shield walls. A solid dark sea green with some light coloured stripes...or maybe...hrm. And dark grey turrets.

That's what I got so far.

Good suggestions, thanks :D

From the fluff I pictured these ships looking "hammerhead" in style. A wide front face for the forward weapons, a thin neck for the gunracks, mostly smooth and slippy with terran styled engines, maybe in a tri-pattern like the dread.

Of course the current models look nice, I'm not complaining. They resemble the Syndicate ships quite a bit.

I was picturing something along the lines of boxy Terran style ships, a bit more like the DN (as you said, so more tri-enginged) with the mechanical tentacles attached. Sort of like what B5 did with the Shadow Omegas, basically take an Omega and add Shadow tentacles. So for these, take an Aegis or DN and add Aquan Tentacles and smooth the hull out to represent some organic plating.

Zak

So with the latest wave of releases I feel I can finally get around to making a decent League of Non-Aligned...erm..Alliance of Khurak fleet. The idea is to build a fleet that represents as many of the different minor factions as possible and to build something that will have a very different play style from my beloved Aquans. The idea also is to give me a huge variety of figures that I can paint in varied schemes and not feel that I'm breaking fleet unity because, well honestly, there shouldn't be any.

I envision something like the massive fleet that fought the Shadows in B5 in the Episode Shadow Dancing, so waves of smaller craft, one or two big ships and a fair number of cruisers.

As such, here are two variants, I'm curious for feedback as to which you think would be more effective.

1000 Pts - Kurak Support Fleet Fleet

Total Fleet Cost: 995

1 Terquai Dreadnought, 250 pts

1 Ryushi Battle Carrier, 180 pts

5 Bomber, 25 pts = 5 * 5

5 Bomber, 25 pts = 5 * 5

3 Terquai Arual Assault Cruiser, 195 pts = 3 * 65

3 Veydreth Destroyer, 195 pts = 3 * 65

5 Xelocian Karn Frigate, 125 pts = 5 * 25

7 activations in total. I'm not sure if I should go with 5/5 bombers, 6 bombers and 4 interceptors or some other combination.

Fleet tactics: The Frigates and bombers close in first while the Destroyers sit back and spread fire across enemy cruisers. I actually don't (necessarily) want kills from the Destroyers but instead I want to weakon enemy PD so that the Karns and Assault cruisers can run in and get kills in assaults and the bombers can mop up the rest. The DN will then follow up and with BC and try and pound enemy capital ships.

This to me is the more well rounded of the two choices my only fear is that since so much wants to close range it'll feel a bit like my Aquans.

Second version:

1000 Pts - Kurak Support Fleet Fleet

Total Fleet Cost: 995

1 Terquai Dreadnought, 250 pts

2 Interceptors, 10 pts = 2 * 5

1 Tarakian Ganak Battleship, 200 pts

4 Interceptors, 20 pts = 4 * 5

3 Terquai Makalu Torpedo Cruiser, 195 pts = 3 * 65

3 Veydreth Destroyer, 195 pts = 3 * 65

5 Xelocian Karn Frigate, 125 pts = 5 * 25

This is a pure long ranged sniper fleet. Same 7 activations, the idea is to sit back and pound the hell out of enemy ships until they close to short range then release the Resulka to wade into what should hopefully be weakened flaming hulks. My fear with this fleet is that a Relthoza fleet using the retro MARs would just rofl stomp it as they utterly negate all long ranged fire (not that I think they're total MAR package is bah-roken :P).

Opinions? Does either look playable? I should start painting them this week. Then all I have to do is find some Shadow fleet...erm...Relthoza to go test myself on. Oh Klarg1....

Zak

Relthoza is probably the best playtest option for those options. If you're going to get in close, you're going up against some of the best broadsides in the game coupled with some of the best boarding capability. If you're going to (attempt to) stay at range, you've got Stealth Systems spitting in your eyes constantly, combined with good torps and the aforementioned awesome broadsides. Whichever of the two lists does best against a solid Relthoza list is probably the better one, in all honesty. Having said that, both look pretty playable to me.

Nice to see some other Alliance lists.

I worry a little about the first one having no interceptors, and if your intention is to rely (a little) on wings for damage I think you'll need at lest 2 bomber flights.

The second one seems like it's missing the Sulans, a good long range sniper-ship with guns and torps. But I don't think you can fit it in and keep both cruiser squads (which are also good snipers).

Another suggestion: The Terquai squadrons might benefit from being mixed. 2 assault cruisers+ 1 torpedo cruiser loses 3AP (totaling 15), but gains a lot in torpedo fire at RB 3 and 4. Likewise 2 torpedo cruisers and 1 assault cruiser lose only 2 torp dice when linked at RB4, but gain 3 AP overall (giving them an advantage over most other non-assault cruiser squads). I think this is probably what I'll do when I play them. That way I only need to buy one pack of each!

Anyway, just some ideas. :)

The part I hate about the Alliance Support list is the 60% mediums. The list is almost all medium choices. At 1000 pts you can have 600pts of them. Sounds fine, but if you take a full Sulan squad you can only have one other squad. I think the strength of this list is the variety of unique vessels. It looks like a "toolbox" army to me, with something in there for any job. The problem is making sure you have all the right tools. The majority of the "tools" are medium ships, so there lies the problem. I wonder if 70% might have been a bit better. :huh:

The core factions have more of a theme which you ought to play into, so it's less significant.