Sign in to follow this  
Nazduruk_Bugzappa

Official Thread: Invaders

Fair? They're still meant to be setup to play 1:1 (or 1250pts vs 1250pts).

The BEMs are supposed to be an uphill struggle head-on. You need to think about tactics when fighting them.

During playtesting, I have found that the current version of the BEMs is a bit weak. I can hammer them into submission within 3-5 turns with 5 of my fleets, and within 4-6 turns with the rest

Hi Folks

Watchdog pointed me to this thread for my post on the Invaders.

I thought it would be fun to do another multi-player game in August (and post the battle report here), and to make things interesting I thought we'd try the Invader versus a human coalition.  I picked up the Invaders when they were first released, but I've not got around to doing anything with them until now, and I know Spartan ran a global Invaders campaign, so I was hoping that those of you who have played the Invaders, or who have an interest or knowledge of all things Steampunk Martian could help me out.

1. The Invader ORBAT makes it clear that the Invaders are not intended to be 'remotely balanced against the humans'.  That's fine, but I would like to have a game which is relatively well balanced overall, even if that means the humans significantly outnumber the Invaders.  In your experience, just how balanced are the 2.0 Invaders, and what sort of ratio would you suggest to put things on a more even keel? (2:1, 3:1 etc.)

2. The Invaders have access to two different Hive Ships (the Harvester and Scarab), have you operated both, and if so how have they gone?  Have you modelled them differently?

3. Has anyone had a crack at modelling a Drone Hive or Invader mines?  If so, how did you do it?

4. It seems strange that the AD 4 mines from the Terror small tripod are terrifying, but the AD 6 mines from the Drone Hive aren't - not really a question, more an observation. ;)

All going well I hope to make a modelling diary to document the creation of my Invader force.

if you want a way to "balance them down" give them this simple handicap: they lose HP as if they were derelict, representing the unfamiliar atmosphere, bacteria, etc messing with their systems.

That's a neat idea.

To get started I'm just trying to establish points values for each side using RAW. I'd like the game to revolve around objectives, so that final victory isn't determined until the last turn. I'm planning that the invaders will attack a central city from two directions, and I'd like the defenders to have enough forces to mount a credible defence and even mount a counterattack at a Drone Hive. So if I put roughly 2.5k of Invaders on the table, how many points of humans could give them a run for their money in your experience?

The last time I fought invaders I was ahead but he was close enough that the next turn he would mind control my dread and it would have been all bad from there.

My opponent regularly uses two drone hives, i think he did a great job modeling them. He took two old gw paint containers and covered them in clay making giant leaves off the side and a big venus flytrap type head in the middle, i think they look great, and they are powerful too (so many drones).

I used my CoA and game of drones/PA to try to deal with them and was barely holding my own through 2 turns. Because the Invaders do have so many drones available to them you may want to double the local air support for the humans as a start to balancing. In a multi faction force you could also allow any human carrier to perform carrier actions on any SAS as well.

My buddy did use the two different hive ships against me and they both perform well he has not gotten close enough to really use the mind control yet though. He uses the same model for both.

With 2.5k invaders i would go 3k to 3.25k with the humans

The Mind control ability is more of a psychological weapon than a practical one ( I couldn't resist that one), unless the human player is careless or unlucky*. The potential is bad enough that people over-react to stop it happening.

In an Human Alliance force, I'd say allowing any (non drone) SAS to use any carrier is sensible. It is a minor but thematic boost.

I'd stick close to a 1:1 points ratio,  but if you can think of fun scenario specific things- a bit of the city is an iconic national monument, that has Combat Co-ordinator (fearless 12") or such like. Sounds like fun!

* I saw on the next table a CoA Herdotus Mobile airfield take an Teleport critical, to within potential mind control range....After ploughing through various smaller models, it lined up the single most deadly Particle Accelerator shot I have ever seen, inflicting dozens of  lost HPs across smalls and mediums across half the humans  line of battle.

In an Human Alliance force, I'd say allowing any (non drone) SAS to use any carrier is sensible. It is a minor but thematic boost.

That's a neat suggestion and immediately conjures an awesome montage of the crew of carriers swapping their different ordinance in preparation for war against the Invaders while the pilots, formally firece rivals, sit together in a huge ready-room for a briefing! 

What would you do about Commodore Doctrines and abilities?  Is there a supreme human commodore?  Or perhaps there are multiple Human Commodores, one for each nation, who can use the basic abilities on  odels within range, and a supreme Commodore who allows all the humans to use their factional doctrine!

Also, should things like guardian generators be allowed to affect all the humans (I'm thinking yes).

I'd stick close to a 1:1 points ratio,

Really?  A further confounding element is that I'm miixing land, air and sea models (the city is built around a harbour and large port) so is there any balancing that needs to occur for this, or do the current points levels reflect the relative hierarchy of effectiveness of models (Naval>Aerial>Land)?

Hi Spellduckwrong, yes, afraid so:

Design Note: The Invaders are designed as an outside of canon expansion for the Dystopian World.

If I wanted to construct a Drone Hive, how would I get the size right?  Is it best to purchase a large land base then build it on that?

That's a neat suggestion and immediately conjures an awesome montage of the crew of carriers swapping their different ordinance in preparation for war against the Invaders while the pilots, formally firece rivals, sit together in a huge ready-room for a briefing! 

What would you do about Commodore Doctrines and abilities?  Is there a supreme human commodore?  Or perhaps there are multiple Human Commodores, one for each nation, who can use the basic abilities on  odels within range, and a supreme Commodore who allows all the humans to use their factional doctrine!

Also, should things like guardian generators be allowed to affect all the humans (I'm thinking yes).

Really?  A further confounding element is that I'm miixing land, air and sea models (the city is built around a harbour and large port) so is there any balancing that needs to occur for this, or do the current points levels reflect the relative hierarchy of effectiveness of models (Naval>Aerial>Land)?

It is your scenario, you write the rules! Regarding all the humans as one faction is easy enough.

Units have points cots to be balanced. Doesn't matter if they are land, sea or air. Given the number of skimming, flying and amphibious units, it has to be this way.

As a port, and presumably industrial city, you could give it the ability to generate units if you think it necessary- i.e.  medium tank units rolling straight off the production line into combat- or repair units...

@Ozysturn there is a lot of work that is going to be done to these amazing little devils from beyond our world. While I cannot yet comment on exact details, I can assure you that they will be getting some attention. Big Boss Neil has made it very clear that he wants to see them get a strong update in a variety of awesome and otherworldly ways!

when I have something more solid to share, you can bet you will see some info get dropped in a blog or rampart posts! :)

Cant ever forget about the little green men!

-Mike