Sign in to follow this  
Nazduruk_Bugzappa

Official Thread: Invaders

I guess it may be caused by the fact, Invaders are unknown in my community, so after players adapt, it is possible my win rate will also get to more realistic numbers.

I finally made the plunge and bought a blister pack of Invaders!

Don't expect pictures anytime soon.  I don't paint very quickly; it's more like glaciating colourfully.

If I read the "all purpose" rule correctly, the walkers can be used in naval battles as well right?  If so, has anyone modified their walkers for naval appearance?  IE partially submerged

Yep, they can be used for naval battles just fine. I have not modified mine (because I am too lazy) and my explanation is, that they use super advanced alien technology to walk on the surface of the water.

Well, the Invaders are an official faction now.  Bow down to ZIM!

Does this mean we can get more models?  I'd like to see something like the Irken robot in the first Invader Zim episode.  Not sure how they'd do the floating limbs, unless there's clear resin in there somewhere.

Well, the Invaders are an official faction now.  Bow down to ZIM!

Does this mean we can get more models?  I'd like to see something like the Irken robot in the first Invader Zim episode.  Not sure how they'd do the floating limbs, unless there's clear resin in there somewhere.

Not really official. Delboy said this when releasing the stats.

"Added to the expected 'canon-DWars forces' are the dastardly Invaders! Now, before everyone throws their collective rattles out the pram', the Invaders are NOT DESIGNED TO BE FAIR.....quite the opposite in fact! The have travelled across time and space, so a few puny humans should give them no trouble at all! Players should look to these perfidious parasites as a reason to club together to beat them down! In short....just remember they are not for competitive play, but for folks who like scenarios, and forlorn hope missions!  B)"

Not canon also because they don't figure into the main story-line...well not directly atleast, the vault might be theirs. 

They have certainly been made less confusing to field, and far more fun to play (both with and against)

So I played first game with invaders in the new edition. Main changes I think are the shift from phase armor to ablative armor (little bit easier to damage), and the changes to the drones. I find this to be much more interesting, since you always try to somehow loose 9 drones before your hive ship activation, so you can relaunch them. Energy arcs are pretty much the same (only the hive ship has two now! yes!) and this time I actually remembered I have pinpoint attack. Death rays I find to be much more brutal - terrifying, incendiary, now the only weapon that uses DR multiplication. Also, they combine now, so putting two medium tripods in a squadron is much more tempting. Overall, I am satisfied with Invaders as OP for fun faction.

Question...what happened to the invader critical table? I no longer see a rule that gives invaders vulnerable so the rule that says they can't be boarded unless vulnerable still exists but they are immune to boarding because the Alien Crticals table is gone.

So how "broken" are the invaders compared to other nations? Is it that they are almost auto-win or that you have to be very very bad to loose?

If I were to play them against my opponent are they likely to be a negative play experience?

Also, anyone got any suggestions for alternate proxies / models for the Invaders? I am not so keen on their flyers and such. Tripods are ok.

So how "broken" are the invaders compared to other nations? Is it that they are almost auto-win or that you have to be very very bad to loose?

If I were to play them against my opponent are they likely to be a negative play experience?

Also, anyone got any suggestions for alternate proxies / models for the Invaders? I am not so keen on their flyers and such. Tripods are ok.

I would not say they are broken in the sense that they are poorly designed. They are extremely strong, almost an autowin. Human fleet has to be build specificaly to fight them, be led without error AND have enormous portion of luck to win. But from the games that I have played with them, I must say most of the time this does not lead to negative gaming experience. I had Invaders at a gaming event, kept defeating everybody and people kept coming to me asking whether they could be next! I had to refuse games because I didn´t have enough time. Now when I go to play somewhere, very often I have to beg them to let me get at least one game with my Prussians  :)

The human player should understand that they are going against great odds - this is part of the fun. You are defending humanity against super advanced alien race, you should be willing to loose entire fleet to destroy just one walker. Every marginal victory counts. Actually in last edition we had a game - who can destroy more invader ships before he is defeated.

Fair? They're still meant to be setup to play 1:1 (or 1250pts vs 1250pts).

The BEMs are supposed to be an uphill struggle head-on. You need to think about tactics when fighting them.

During playtesting, I have found that the current version of the BEMs is a bit weak. I can hammer them into submission within 3-5 turns with 5 of my fleets, and within 4-6 turns with the rest