FIrebase_Delta

Official Zenian League Thread: Ba' Kash

I assume you are referring to the Ba'Kash ships specifically.

The cruiser is interesting. I think the concept of it opening and closing is pretty cool -- however I wish that did something game-wise. I suppose we could just assume the ship is in the right configuration at the right time, but it would be neat if it offered an advantage one way, or the other ... and you had to choose your positioning. Might be a fun feature.

It also looks like it's missing some scaling features -- something to reference human-sized creatures. No bay doors, no windows, no gun-ports, no bridge. At least not that I can see. That's a trend I'm seeing in many of the newer models. You could look at the Ba'kash ship and think it was fighter-sized.

Otherwise the model looks pretty nice. It's layout is unique, and I like that. It's the most expensive cruiser in $ I'm afraid, and that may be a bit of a deterrent. :blink:

The frigates look pretty flat. Would be nice if they also had a 4-part symmetry.

I don't play any Zenian yet. Their stats look a little lackluster compared to the other ships. What are the other opinions there?

You can see a bridge. Its visible at the opened version on the front of the middle part.

I like the style, thats why i was so crazy and bought 3 of them when they were released.

Im a little worried about the heavy cruiser. I hope they changed its design because it will cost a LOT with 8 arms.

Im eager to see the destroyer, to know what they have changed.

You are right with the gameplay difference, there could/should have been one.

I got one Frigate blister rather cheap, thats they only reason i bought it, but i dont like them. The stats suck and the models arent fitting to the cruisers at all.

Stats wise i havent played the new one. Their pack hunter changed fron broadsides to front. I liked their punch when it was at their broadsides and i think it makes them weaker. Before i think they were worth their points even though not the strongest ships in the world. Now im a little doubtfull and i dont know whay they changed it (same as pretty much all the other stats changed they made for v2).

From Spartan's Blog:

These are supplemented by relatively simple torpedoes sporting powerful high-explosive warheads. However, the Ba’Kash favour boarding actions wherever possible.

Indeed, the Sharnak Cruiser especially is geared for this kind of close-quarters brutality. This powerful vessel can open out like a shark’s mouth when entering battle, exposing a host of weapons normally concealed beneath its armoured shell.

I wish it played out like that. :unsure:

Until I found the excerpt above, I was toying with the idea that the ship opens-up for planet-fall or asteroid grappling like a spider under a rock.

Perhaps we are supposed to assume the ship reconfigures relatively rapidly. Maybe to fire forward it must be open, to fire to the sides it must be closed. Maybe we assume the crew/captain handle that themselves and it's not a fleet-commander level decision. Thus it's not in the game as such.

In a few Historical games these lower-level tactics are assumed to be in effect, but not represented by rules (like Romans using their various special formations). If you roll badly in combat, you assume they weren't in the optimum formation at the time, if you roll well they did their job perfectly. For a General to control the position and formation of every unit on a battlefield is impossible; he has to rely on his lower-level commanders to manage this. Sometimes they blow it.

In our Ba'Kash case, perhaps the admiral doesn't concern himself with the position of the arms, and so neither does the player who represents the admiral.

I was thinking with the new releases coming out that this will be the fleet to have for the rift....

Using the Heavy Cruiser as the Lead ship...

and followed by some Cruisers and Destroyers and then some Frigate squads.....

Keeping the fleet small... I think it would work..

thoughts?

At what weapons is the pack hunter MAR of the Sharnak cruiser applied to? On the stat card in the blister it is the broadsides and torpedos, but on the Firestorm Armada ship stat cards Core V2 pdf it is the fore. Is there an errata I have missed?

edit:

OK, I got it. Caine has written in in post 3. This is really an annoying and unnessary nerf.

From a raiding force perspective, they should have a carrier at least, since wing support can help cow convoys.  Though frankly, they shouldn't have anything bigger than a battleship.  It'd be too large, and difficult to maintain a dreadnaught or the like.  

That being said, when I was expanding the fleet out for my own amusement, I gave them access to carriers, Battle Cruisers (light battleships from V1), and a single unique battleship as a kind of flagship.  

I could see them having access to something standard BB sized for large raiding engagements or anytime they're chased by an angry 'real fleet'. Also, I like the idea of a raiding/assault shuttle carrier. At the most I could see them having something like a light DN (ala the RSN DN or the Manta) but it should be pretty costly to keep them honest.

Zak

I dont think the no fighter aspect would be good. They would need to compensate it, but its easy to simply take a carrier of a zenian ally under current rules. So what? Either you would have to restrict that and counteract the current rules or you would have to live with the fact that its easy to avoid the special feeling of the race. Thats not a clear design to me.

Its fine if they just dont get one, but it shouldnt be a defining fleet aspect, if you know what i mean.

But because they have the design that they dont use many larges they could get medium carriers (and or small). Like the chinese.

Or they could have Battlecruisers which are larges but can come in squadrons of 2 so they still have packhunter (which seems to be a common MAR for them).

A carrier could work but it would be interesting if as a race they don't use fighters at all.

Now that would be interesting, having a battlecruiser as the large model...it would fit the fluff.  Something powerful enough to swat a cruiser or a heavy cruiser but fast enough to outrun a true battleship.

The old Battlecruiser design didn't squadron up, but that's no reason not to have the Ba'Kash able to do it.  That would give them some interesting bite for their large warships, and make things kind of interesting.  I like this plan!  Probably the best idea I've heard thus far about the larges for these guys.  

I agree that I don't think limiting the types of wings is a god idea, though right now, if all they lost was fighters, it's no big loss since I've yet to actually see anyone use that class of wing since V2