Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YouLookLikeANail

Speculation And Questions Thread

I guess the big question to speculate about is how much commonality this new game will share with the existing DW mechanics. There are definitely ways to scale the exploding d6 concept into 28mm skirmish, but I suspect that there are going to have to be pretty hefty mechanical changes to get something that feels right.

Skirmish based game? DW doesn't have a lot of command or organization rules, but then it's a fleet based game so it doesn't need much. Curious to see how much (if any) of this will be added in for the new game.

If that robot in the pictures is a Faust then we will probably see small tanks on the tabletop but even a medium class tank would be way too huge. Tiny fliers should fit in though.

I wonder if Spartan is going to go with named characters as a key part of the game (aka Warmachine), an optional part (something like 40k) or not have them at all. I'm not sure how integral any named characters are to the fluff, but I suspect the middle option is more likely.

Finally: metal or resin infantry?

First of all, nice to hear about it. Its certainly and interesting announcement.

There are some nice images of DL but im not sure if im gonna be interested in playing/collecting it. Right now i wonder who would play anything else than prussians at DL i mean just compare the Teutonic Knights with some of the others... quite obvious who are the "SpaceMarines" here.

For now I just hope it doesnt mean even less love for the older two games (FSA UCS).

I just wonder if the small tanks are the same as the ones from DW. Of course in an army there isnt only one tank type of the same size so actually it doesnt even matter.

I think they are the same, at least they look like them.

If this work simmilar to "Operation Squad", I am in.

Copy/Pasted from DW general discussion

TBH, I dont really know how I feel about this announcement.

The models look fantastic, but I was perfectly happy to play with boats and planes at 1/1200 scale.

I have never liked skirmish games like Infinity, and despite my liking of DW I dont think I could bring myself to play Legions.

I was unaware that there was an outcry for a 28mm game anyway, so what possessed Spartan to make this?

All this being said, I feel compelled to get the Prussian commander model.

Plus, I have some Death Korps of Krieg models that I could easily use as the Prussians if I ever wanted to start playing.

I think what I am most excited about by this announcement is the prospect of adding a massive amount or background, fluff, and stories to the DW universe. I am impressed with the models already; but I admit that I am drawn to DW mostly for the fleet-level combat. Still, with all the mention of infantry in the books/stories/blog posts/unit descriptions I was wondering if we were ever going to see some! I look forward to Canadian units in Dystopian Legions :)

I guess the big question to speculate about is how much commonality this new game will share with the existing DW mechanics. There are definitely ways to scale the exploding d6 concept into 28mm skirmish, but I suspect that there are going to have to be pretty hefty mechanical changes to get something that feels right.

Skirmish based game? DW doesn't have a lot of command or organization rules, but then it's a fleet based game so it doesn't need much. Curious to see how much (if any) of this will be added in for the new game.

If that robot in the pictures is a Faust then we will probably see small tanks on the tabletop but even a medium class tank would be way too huge. Tiny fliers should fit in though.

I wonder if Spartan is going to go with named characters as a key part of the game (aka Warmachine), an optional part (something like 40k) or not have them at all. I'm not sure how integral any named characters are to the fluff, but I suspect the middle option is more likely.

Finally: metal or resin infantry?

I think somebody should try writing a game where the moving phase and the shooting phase are the same... ...but Pendrake :) style:

When your opponent is moving that is your shooting phase. Troops that did not move at all are fired at (if there is something with LOS) once all movement is done and only by shooters that did not open up on a moving target.

If you are moving you can't shoot. If you are shooting you can't move.

I don't know what I am hoping for materials-wise (metal or resin) the one that delivers the sculpt to market at the lowest possible price is fine with me.

There are people in the world who love to do VSF 28mm gaming, they miss The Sword and the Flame, and Space: 1889, and Sky Galleons of Mars. The largest online concentration of them that I know of can be found here: at the Lead Adventures Forum. (Look in the VSF Adventures or Colonials section.) I think Spartan is hoping to broaden its customer base a little by appealing to that crowd.

Those guys over at LAF put together convention games and custom scenarios using rules and figures from all sorts of suppliers (and LAF cheerfully allows discussion of anyone's product) so there is potential to sell miniatures to people who never bother looking at Spartan's rules.

I can't wait for this but unfortunately I'll have to as there is no mention of either of my 2 factions (french and russian). Hopefully they will come around sooner than later. Perhaps Spartan is holding back in case the system flubs, they can shift back to their bread and butter games. I'd love to add some trench warfare to some DW campaigns.

this has grabbed my interest...

was working on a VSF 28mm rule set myself, ok ive been working on it near 20 years now, so this will be an interesting product in my mind.

the EOTBS of course will be my faction of choice... lets just hope the rules system is upto scratch...

I think somebody should try writing a game where the moving phase and the shooting phase are the same... ...but Pendrake :) style:

When your opponent is moving that is your shooting phase. Troops that did not move at all are fired at (if there is something with LOS) once all movement is done and only by shooters that did not open up on a moving target.

If you are moving you can't shoot. If you are shooting you can't move.

There are rule systems that incorporate this sort of thing with dynamic activations and reactive fire, and they work really well. Why the major rulesets all insist on IGO-UGO is beyond me.

I don't know what I am hoping for materials-wise (metal or resin) the one that delivers the sculpt to market at the lowest possible price is fine with me.

In the gallery there is a 3-D render of one of the FSA infantry models, which suggests resin.

Edit: Actually, they designed the small fliers via computer and metal-cast them, didn't they? So I guess the question remains open. From the size and design I would have assumed metal.

With so many established 28mm skirmish games DW Leigons will have to offer someting special in game play terms to stand out. I wont be surprised if I collect a couple of skirmish forces as from a modelling and painting perspectiveI love the look of the minatures. Price point as always will be importants, especialy withe the armour looing at the sizes of the hateches these are going to be pretty big models.

Could we be looking at plastic minatures here with the attendant massive tooling and set up cost but relatively low production costs, or will Spartan be sticking to their core expertise of resin and metal. I can see these minatures have an appeal the goes beyond gamers and draws in the modelling community, but to capitalise on this Spartan will have to look carefully at their brand awareness among modellers. Seeing the resin vehicles at IPMS Scale Model world show in Telford in November might be a move in the right direction.

Overall: great minatures, curious about the game a bit concerned about the cost and sustained support of original DW.

Very tempting, I've enjoyed the game and background quite a bit. It certainly opens up another level of combat for some interesting linked campaigns. I hope that they add the other factions before too long.

Guest bit

can see the models being overly expensive to be honest if infantry isnt 10 for £15-20 then they are overly expensive

to be honest can see it being along the lines of £34 maybe more for 10 infantry if they do then wil part ways with spartan games and go out my way to make sure others give it up as well

but lets hope they dont and all is good

they need to make the rules more involving so 40k 2nd edition or war machine or even a bit more involving than these would be better but stay away from fire power rules completely needs to be every weapon has its own character and quirks a lot of detail in rules has to be done

but finger crossed

Why would you part from Spartan Games if they make a new game thats more xpensive than you want to. I mean if the other game of them you like was still cheap that doesnt make sense. And apart from that we really dont know any prices yet and how many minis you need for a game we dont need either.

I like the idea of this especially if it is truly skirmish level fights (By this I mean instead of Warhammers division level games where you have just TONS of units, rather 3-4 squads with each squad being fairly small) then I would probably be interested. The big problem I see is that in my are we only have 8 or so DW players and 6 of them have huge warmachine and warhammer armies already. While the 2 of us that don't already play a 28mm wargame might want to play we will probably have no one to play with.

Hm. I'm a bit skeptical about this - it shows some really nice work, but I need more info before I make any decisions. But one thing does come to mind...a 28mm Prussian small tank! I love it. Heck, I even love the Empire of the Rising Sun's small tank in 28mm. If at the very least, I get some sweet models of minis that are so tiny they're basically cannon fodder in DW. I wonder if the vehicles will be resin, or plastic kits?

And heck, I can make my fleet's commander in 28MM at least.

can see the models being overly expensive to be honest if infantry isnt 10 for £15-20 then they are overly expensive

to be honest can see it being along the lines of £34 maybe more for 10 infantry if they do then wil part ways with spartan games and go out my way to make sure others give it up as well

While I agree that pricing is an issue, "going out of your way to make sure other players give up the game" seems unnecessarily, and narcissistically, vindictive. But good luck. Market economy and all that...

I think the real issue facing Spartan, and facing gaming groups, is as Thesock described: many players who might take up this game already have substantial 28mm game armies (and investments, and experience). Barring a revolutionary game system, I think the background/setting and aesthetic qualities are what are likely to bring players to the game. I suppose we'll know more as more is revealed.

Here's to October!

As a 40K Rouge Trader IG player (back in the day), Starship Trooper (SST) and a historical gamer I have boxes and boxes of 28mm. I'm looking forward to the DW and FA lines. I love painting and I think it's great to have something new. Right now I'm painting 50 28mm WWII Marines for a large campaign at the LGS.

If all I need is 3-4 squads and a few vehicles then that's great and I'm in. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.