geekoo

Back to Dystopian - few questions

Hello to all,
I am back after a few years, and I have seen that quite a things have changed. SO I have quite a few questions after watching a few battle reports, read parts of rules etc...

1. I am not a huge fan of what I have seen in V3 rules. I think I did prefer the v2 rules. Nevertheless I see that new ships have been added in v3? Can I find a conversion table for stats V3 > V2? 
  2. If i wanted to play in V3 could I find conversion tables for my old ships V2 > V3?
  3. What would be the main differences between the V2 and V3?
  4. In V2 I don't remember really (need to check my books and pdf) could you personalise ships? If it is not the case, how difficult is it to use an adpated table of personalisations from V3 > V2? 
  5. I do not see a lot of air units. I loved those. Was playing the japanese fleet. Are those planned in the future? 
  6. About the miniatures, are they compatible (old and new) is the scale very different? Any picture example?  If there is a huge difference, do warcradle sells 3d Models for homemade print, I could therefore scale them down.
  7. Any page, or link with an overfly of strength and weakness of each factions? For instance if I wanted to play the Empire, could I mix chinese and japanese ships?
  8. Any links to old material, rules, updates, tables etc...?

Voilà that's about all for now.

Thanks!

I can only help with questions 5 and 7.

5.  The Japanese had a few releases so far.  They did release the Tianlong, which are the dragon automata and there is a rule to make them a Japanese unit.  There are more empire air units(an air fleet) planned in the future according to the orbat, but they will be Chinese at this point. 

7.  You build forces with battlefleets in orbats found here https://www.dystopianwars.com/factions.  The generic battlefleet for Empire will allow you to mix units in 1 battlefleet, or you can take multiple battlefleets up to the points total of your game.  As for the differences of Empire factions, Chinese use Alchemical weapons and have Paddlewheels(enables the contra-rotation action, allowing the ship to make a 90 degree turn on the spot), and Japanese have better access to Chita Submersibles(and more synergy)  and have the Shadow Hunter trait(redeploy before the game starts). 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:02 PM, geekoo said:

Hello to all,
I am back after a few years, and I have seen that quite a things have changed. SO I have quite a few questions after watching a few battle reports, read parts of rules etc...

1. I am not a huge fan of what I have seen in V3 rules. I think I did prefer the v2 rules. Nevertheless I see that new ships have been added in v3? Can I find a conversion table for stats V3 > V2? 
  2. If i wanted to play in V3 could I find conversion tables for my old ships V2 > V3?
  3. What would be the main differences between the V2 and V3?
  4. In V2 I don't remember really (need to check my books and pdf) could you personalise ships? If it is not the case, how difficult is it to use an adpated table of personalisations from V3 > V2? 
  5. I do not see a lot of air units. I loved those. Was playing the japanese fleet. Are those planned in the future? 
  6. About the miniatures, are they compatible (old and new) is the scale very different? Any picture example?  If there is a huge difference, do warcradle sells 3d Models for homemade print, I could therefore scale them down.
  7. Any page, or link with an overfly of strength and weakness of each factions? For instance if I wanted to play the Empire, could I mix chinese and japanese ships?
  8. Any links to old material, rules, updates, tables etc...?

Voilà that's about all for now.

Thanks!

G'day Geekoo,

I won' repeat what c2k has mentioned, they are great answers and not much more to be said. I'll tackle your other questions.

1) Sadly no. This will answer question 2 as well. The game is different enough to describe them as different formats, it's not really something you could meaningfully convert across and get the same impact. I won't say you can't interpret intent, but that is a far cry from hard conversion of numbers I'm afraid. :( In every ORBAT (refer to C2K's answer to question 7 here) there is a table at the bottom of the document detailing which new class the old vessels relate to for an easy reference. Note some scales are different in the new game, but that shouldn't impact play at a technical level. 

3) This is a long one, and I won't wall-of-text you (I already do too much of that here). It's a re-work of the game from the ground up, however, it maintains to varying degrees the aesthetics  and the mechanical feel of the older game. Primarily, simplification overall, complete rework of SRS and as I mentioned above, the stats used to play the game. If you want a longer answer, Happy to do so, just let me know.

4) When you say personalise do you mean change the weapons on the vessels of different classes? I don't remember custom ship rules so I will assume that's what you mean (correct me if I am wrong). That is very much still an aspect of the game to greater or lesser extents depending on the vessel. 

6) Given that the models are a proprietary thing I highly doubt Warcradle sell 3d model details given that would undermine their only source of revenue for this game. However, i can't say for sure so you would need to approach them directly about that. I alluded to the scale/model thing in my answer 1, but fundamentally the intent seems to be to supersede the older models. It's better not to ACTUALLY think of this as V3, because that implies iterative improvement: it's a new game. 

8) To my knowledge Warcradle doesn't host anything of the old games at all. I suspect you will need to go to other sources to find those. ;)