Charley

Charley's Empire Painting and Modelling Diary

Hello everyone,

I'll be using this thread to keep a log of all my Dystopian Wars modelling and painting over the coming months.

First up is the majority of a Empire of the Blazing Sun Naval Battlegroup: I've had these particular minis since their initial release, time to finally get some paint on them! I've sanded these down to remove some extra material on the base of each ship. I've also magnetised the Kongo-class Heavy Battleship (ex-Sokotsu). This is the first mini I've ever magnetised, so I'm very pleased with myself.

So, currently I've got waiting to paint:

• 1x Kongo-class Heavy Battleship
  • 3x Dao-class Light Cruisers (ex-Nakatsu)
  • 5x Shanghai-class Frigates (ex-Uwatsu
  • 3x Corvettes (ex-Fujin)* 

I've also ordered a Ning Jing Battlefleet, and can't wait for it to arrive!

In terms of colour scheme, I'm thinking of going with an olive green with bright red accents - I think this'll look suitably Japanese, and also give me some room to expand into contrasting colours for those pagoda flourishes on the Chinese ships (I'm thinking turquoise). For these Japanese ships, I'm thinking of giving them black-and-bright yellow funnels, for a splash of colour and to connect them to real world pre-dreadnoughts. I also think I'll paint the lifeboats stark black and white for the same reasons.

Check in for updates later - C.

* I've got five of these in total, I picked them up semi-recently when I first saw Warcradle Classics up on Wayland Games and wanted to bulk out an order for postage, I'll use the two spares for scheme testing, as I can't see myself 

image4.jpeg

Edited by Charley

A little bit of progress:

Primed all my old stuff and starting to block in some colours.

Also starting to build my Ning Jing Battlefleet. They're a little fiddly, but very satisfying to put together. Also magnetising everything, a bit of a chore as each Meru-class has a total of 11 options :huh: but I'll be pleased when it's done, and I'm looking forward to trying some glow effects on all the different generators!

Unfortunately my Ning Jing arrived damaged, so waiting to hear about a replacement piece - other than it's stunning and so much bigger than I thought, can't wait to work on one!

unnamed_(1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Finally, an update! I'm on my way - here's my current progress (feat an old Dreadfleet surface I managed to scrounge up):

255326304_10225947239082872_765951414617

I'll call these tabletop ready. Still got some work to do, in particular the turquoise and red could do with a highlight and I'm yet to use any metallic paints (these will be for the machinery and smokestacks). I also need to decide how to paint the rocket pods and generators, but this'll come later. I found the plastic ships a little tricky to assemble, but in the end pleased with the result. I think it's obviously a mixed fleet, but I like the flavour.

Paints used:

• Citadel Chaos Black Spray Primer (will probably switch to either a lighter spray, or a brushed surface primer in future - I needed a lot of layers for the green and decking)
  • Vallejo Model Color 70.823 Luftwaffe Camouflage Green - base for the green
  • Vallejo Model Color 70.857 Golden Oliver - heavy drybrush on all green armour
  • Vallejo Panzer Aces 311 New Wood - decking
  • Citadel Shade Agrax Earthshade - over the decks
  • Citadel Base Mephiston Red - red details (needs highlighting)
  • Vallejo Model Color 70.840 Light Turquoise - pagoda roofs 
  • Citadel Shade Nuln Oil - over the roofs
  • Vallejo Model Color 70.994 Dark Grey - basically everything that's going to end up metallic.