Captaincandle

Rules Question on wording for generators

So, The wording for adding something like a shield generator on a Khatanga is:

"The Unit may replace a single Heavy Gun Battery weapon with one of the following Generators. Each Model in the Unit must replace the same Heavy Gun Battery with the same Generator. Each Model in the Unit must take the same Generator. The points cost indicated is per Model."

Now, this is different to, say, a Crown Albion is:

"• The Unit may replace a single Heavy Gun Battery weapon with one of the following Generators"

The first one explicitly mentions you have to replace guns with generators on all ships in the unit, whereas the second sentence says the unit (not each model in the unit) may replace a single gun with X generator, suggesting you can only have one generator in the unit total. Do others read this the same? If the intention is each model then it is worded extremely poorly.  Otherwise, why would you only give one ship a generator? Makes little sense to me.

Ah now I understand your question.

I read it the following:

the first example allows 0 or 3 generators per squad (all or nothing)

the second example up to 3 generators per squad (you can decide upon every single ship to carry a generator).

Can I ask how you came to that conclusion?

My reasoning was at the beginning of the rule book, it describes Unit and model as separate things. So my interpretation according to the wording was the unit (of all 2/3 models) can replace 1 gun in total, not 1 gun per model. I assume if they wanted it to be per model in the unit, the wording would be something like "Each model in the unit may replace 1 gun with one of the following generators". 

20 hours ago, Captaincandle said:

Can I ask how you came to that conclusion?

My reasoning was at the beginning of the rule book, it describes Unit and model as separate things. So my interpretation according to the wording was the unit (of all 2/3 models) can replace 1 gun in total, not 1 gun per model. I assume if they wanted it to be per model in the unit, the wording would be something like "Each model in the unit may replace 1 gun with one of the following generators". 

You're right, they mixed it up (me too ;) ).